Quantcast
window installers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: window installers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2009 Forester
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    16

    Default window installers

    I'm looking to get a bunch of windows replaced and a new front door installed.

    Is it worth going to triple glazed windows over double glazed?

    Who are the reputable installers in town these days? I only know about S.I.S. and Western Windows.
    Tim

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,068
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Did you know you can get just the glass replaced? Weird I know. Not sure if that would work for you.

    Only thing triple pane helps with these days is noise. You can get very good r values with double pane. The other thing with getting high-e windows is they do cut significantly with the amount of light coming in.
    Last edited by suntan; 05-05-2021 at 09:33 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    We just placed an order for a new patio door and window through Western Windows. They were the easiest to deal with while getting quotes, came across as the most professional and were reasonable in their pricing, although not the cheapest. They get my vote. We went with triple because what we were replacing is basically the whole wall for my kitchen and has the potential to lose quite a bit of heat. The way it was described to us is triple offers nearly double the R value compared to double.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,068
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Maybe for WW, but no, that's not true anymore. I'm sure they'd prefer you to buy the really expensive windows vs the cheaper ones.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I should mention that their triple was still cheaper than the double I was quoted from Lux by a significant amount.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,068
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Yeah I think some people on CP forum and here have mentioned that Lux is super pricey.

    Windows and doors are so weird, it's not a competitive market at all. Prices are all over the place.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,818
    Rep Power
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe for WW, but no, that's not true anymore. I'm sure they'd prefer you to buy the really expensive windows vs the cheaper ones.
    It's still true for most manufacturers, however as with anything energy related it generally isn't worth the cost of the upgrade.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,068
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's still true for most manufacturers, however as with anything energy related it generally isn't worth the cost of the upgrade.
    Yeah that is true for most manufacturers. Adding another pane of glass is way cheaper than using a better/more coating.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Aspen
    My Ride
    Two from Freemont
    Posts
    9,429
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe for WW, but no, that's not true anymore. I'm sure they'd prefer you to buy the really expensive windows vs the cheaper ones.
    So you are saying that triple doesn't reduce the amount of condensation at the bottom when it's -30 outside?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,068
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you are saying that triple doesn't reduce the amount of condensation at the bottom when it's -30 outside?
    Nope, I have newer double pane windows in the basement and they never have any condensation.

    A standard builder window has an r-value of 1. You can get double pane up to R-7 now, but really even R-4 should suffice. But you might as well spend the extra $20/window and get the highest R value.
    Last edited by suntan; 05-05-2021 at 12:20 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I recently got quotes to supply install new windows and doors for a smaller house and Lux and Western W were the most expensive. Each were about $4-5K higher in total than the average of several other quotes I received. All based on the same general specs. If you are doing a big project make sure to get at least a half dozen quotes, along with some good idea of lead times upon order. Btw, I avoided any companies with obnoxious TV commercials too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Aspen
    My Ride
    Two from Freemont
    Posts
    9,429
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Can you provide a link to said R7 double pane window?

    I have triple panes quoted with R7.5. If I can get double pane R7 for cheaper, then why not!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, SW20 MR2, '21 Explorer ST
    Posts
    1,809
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    We went with Greenfox to replace our windows. They are coming back out this summer to replace some doors as well. We went all triple pane windows in the house, except for the garage, and one window downstairs (we needed a hopper window to make it a legal bedroom, and those are only available in double pane). The price wasn't the lowest, but we got a much nicer moulding around the windows, as well as a lifetime warranty, vs the other guys 5 year?

    Would recommend them.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,980
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I went with MAXgreen for a bay window project at my rental. They weren't the cheapest but they seemed the most professional compared to others and they sold me on their comprehensive installation process so i went with them. Would recommend at least getting a quote from them.

    http://www.max-green.ca/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,068
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you provide a link to said R7 double pane window?

    I have triple panes quoted with R7.5. If I can get double pane R7 for cheaper, then why not!
    Unfortunately I don't think there's anybody in Calgary that sells double pane R-7, they do exist but pointless if you can't get them here.

    Triple pane you can get up to R-10 now. Not sure if anybody in Calgary sells those though but here's a place that sells them up to R-9

    https://www.gogreenwindows.ca/sealed-unit-replacement/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    We used MAXgreen when we replaced almost all of the windows in our house. They were professional to deal with and very focused on the quality of the installation, which is exactly what we were looking for after the mess a Lux crew left us with in the past. The triple pane we went with are noticeably more comfortable to sit next to in the winter, however the old "builder grade" windows set the bar very low.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Aspen
    My Ride
    Two from Freemont
    Posts
    9,429
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately I don't think there's anybody in Calgary that sells double pane R-7, they do exist but pointless if you can't get them here.

    Triple pane you can get up to R-10 now. Not sure if anybody in Calgary sells those though but here's a place that sells them up to R-9

    https://www.gogreenwindows.ca/sealed-unit-replacement/
    Those performance specs at the bottom of the page are stolen directly off the lux website:

    https://www.luxwindows.com/glass-per...nergy-savings/

    https://www.luxwindows.com/glass-per...g-performance/

    Dude looks like he is a reseller for lux and works out of his House in Temple in the NE.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,068
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Well now we know why Lux are so expensive

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,818
    Rep Power
    52

    Default

    Of course all those u and R values go out the window (hawhaw) when the window is actually operable. The values are only for fixed windows, and the seals are the weak link if you can open them.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    AB
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    We have a mixture of new windows on our older house, The triple pane windows are Polar Windows and the double pane are Meredian. Polar are by far the best, expensive but far superior. No condensation at any temperature. Meridian are junk!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stucco Repair and Window & Door Installers

    By nykz in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 03-14-2016, 05:33 PM
  2. Any window installers on here?

    By Ven in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM
  3. Home Window installers: Need Help

    By Kaos in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 11-11-2005, 08:36 PM
  4. Double Hung Window A/C, Convert To Slide Window A/c?

    By Slashin_ in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 06-24-2005, 05:26 PM
  5. Installers?

    By 12V in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 01-22-2003, 10:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •