Quantcast
Am I crazy or is this the worst time ever to buy a vehicle? - Page 54 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 54 of 125 FirstFirst ... 44 53 54 55 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2493

Thread: Am I crazy or is this the worst time ever to buy a vehicle?

I bought my father a minivan as well, I end up driving it a fair bit when I'm taking care of him, as I can load his disability scooter into the back with some ramps in less than a minute. He isn't ambulatory, he's had 2 hip surgeries, and is now on the waiting list for his 4th back surgery (back injury while on the job in L/E, and hip replacement x 2 as after the first one he had a fall in the hospital while in there with covid for 3 months, and dislocated the hip replacement socket/etc).

He/we have a Pacifica Hybrid. Yes it's a Chrysler (booos sound), but it's been 100% reliable, has about 30k km on it after 4+ years now, and it is actually pretty fun to zip around town for/with him. Usually the gas motor isn't even used, and overnight it'll charge to 100% off a regular wall socket, and give about 50 to 60km of electric only driving. The only thing I wish it did was allow you to shut down the electric option by choice, ie let you drive on the highway in gas only right off the bat, and save the electric power for when you arrive at another city destination, for running electric around town there, instead of burning up all the electric power on the first few dozen km on the highway.

I might replace it with an AWD van, as even with winter studded tires, it's not as grippy as I'd like. That means losing the PHEV capability, as no vans have both the plug in hybrid as well as AWD right now. I do really like the Toyota van, as well as the Honda(not awd), and will check out the Kia/etc ones as well this time around.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 08-04-2022 at 04:57 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’m semi seriously looking for another car but I’ve decided to stick to used Toyotas for a while. Next up an ISF to replace the 335d, eventually a beater GR86 to replace my FRS and maybe a manual A90 down the road too in a few years.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Have you considered a used Land Rover?
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and will check out the Kia/etc ones as well this time around.
    South Trail Kia should have a demo Carnival within the next few weeks

My Ride
    NC1

I drove a minivan for years from 16 to 20 some good memories hauling friends around etc.

Is there still a barebones minivan out there lol I remember dodge caravan canada value pack it was like $20k
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Have you considered a used Land Rover?
    Yes but I’ve decided collecting mediocre Toyotas is all I’m going to amount to.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    I drove a minivan for years from 16 to 20 some good memories hauling friends around etc.

Is there still a barebones minivan out there lol I remember dodge caravan canada value pack it was like $20k
    Chrysler Grand Caravan now

Starts at $43k

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Interesting. We're doing our first CVT. I'm not big on them but I think it'll be good for her. Fingers crossed.
    I've heard nissan CVTs are especially shitty, but other brands aren't too bad reliability-wise. Could just be internet BS though, I haven't really bothered to look into it yet. Can anyone back up that statement?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    I've heard nissan CVTs are especially shitty, but other brands aren't too bad reliability-wise. Could just be internet BS though, I haven't really bothered to look into it yet. Can anyone back up that statement?
    The older belt driven CVTs had a finite life and felt like a sponge. The newer generation eCVTs are much simpler (from a cvt perspective), offer a more direct drive, and uses motors to vary the infinite gear ratios.

edit - It's pretty wild how different they are. I watched these videos a while back.

Belt CVT:

eCVT (Toyota Hybrid):

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    Nissians CVTs were bad. They were made by Jatco. They supplied other manufacturers.

Generally CVTS are reliable. Issues with the CVT was not always related to the CVT itself. Honda makes thier own CVT. The issue of the CVT was how the engine got to the torque needed for the CVT. The 2.4L K series was not designed for the CVT. Honda addressed with with the new 1.5T engine (my god it is glorious)
    Toyota's do not neccesarilay use CVT't not because they are bad, but more to do with thier design philosophy. Toyota uses old tech.

Quoted from the Honda CRV forum. Someone replied with a good addition to my post which was answering the same question.

Great post Tony_Tiger. (y) (y)

One additional comment to add about CVTs... they thrive on torque. Torque is what powers them efficiently and effectively.

With the release of the 1.5T engine, Honda produced for the first time an engine purpose built to feed rich amounts of torque to the CVT across almost the entire rpm range of the engine (beginning at 1800rpm). As a result, there is seldom need to stomp the throttle to gain additional driving force on the wheels. The 1.5T will provide a smooth flat full torque load to the CVT from ~1800rpm all the way to 5000 rpm. As such there is seldom any struggling of the CVT to adjust to seek more torque. The 1.5T works much more smoothly and better with a CVT than the older 2.4L classics from Honda.

A CVT + engine pairing where the engine cannot provide sufficient torque to the CVT unless the engine is pushed to high rpms is where most CVT issues have come about in the industry in recent years. A classic symptom of a poorly mated CVT + engine is when the driver must stomp on the gas to push up the rpm to gain sufficient torque for a CVT that is struggling to put traction to the wheels effeciently.

Note: this does not mean CVTs can be used in heavy load situations (like trucks) as you noted, it simply means that they perform optimally when they are fed proper torque from the engine they are paired with. For severe load and driving conditions, a standard gear shift automatic or stick shift is still the preferred transmission and likely will be for years to come.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Nissians CVTs were bad. They were made by Jatco. They supplied other manufacturers.

Generally CVTS are reliable. Issues with the CVT was not always related to the CVT itself. Honda makes thier own CVT. The issue of the CVT was how the engine got to the torque needed for the CVT. The 2.4L K series was not designed for the CVT. Honda addressed with with the new 1.5T engine (my god it is glorious)
    Toyota's do not neccesarilay use CVT't not because they are bad, but more to do with thier design philosophy. Toyota uses old tech.

Quoted from the Honda CRV forum. Someone replied with a good addition to my post which was answering the same question.
    In theory, you shouldn’t need to mate an engine to a cvt. The purpose of infinite gear ratios is that it can maximize an engines narrow efficiency range or outright power at a specific rpm. It’s just that belt drive cvts do a shitty job of it. Having an engine with a wide power band really masks the problems with belt cvts. Funny enough, Toyota actually addresses the problem with their low speed direct drive gear to minimize the sponge effect, at least at the start. Response times still suck once going like every other belt cvt.

Ecvts fixes a lot of the problems, but really only works in a hybrid drivetrain.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    In theory, you shouldn’t need to mate an engine to a cvt. The purpose of infinite gear ratios is that it can maximize an engines narrow efficiency range or outright power at a specific rpm. It’s just that belt drive cvts do a shitty job of it. Having an engine with a wide power band really masks the problems with belt cvts. Funny enough, Toyota actually addresses the problem with their low speed direct drive gear to minimize the sponge effect, at least at the start. Response times still suck once going like every other belt cvt.

Ecvts fixes a lot of the problems, but really only works in a hybrid drivetrain.
    I agree. Thats the theory. I think it was also a case of emissions and fuel economy.
    From standing When one puts their footdown on the gas. The SUV with CVT does not jump forward. There is a delay. This can be a issue when cutting across traffic.
    Toyota addressed with with that low speed gear that hands over to the CVT. But I just changed my driving style with this.

I drove a RAV4 from Edmonton to Jasper (regular auto transmission) over three days. On one occasion a truck was veering into our lane. I put my footdown to get out of that situation. The Rav 4 in typical style roared, high revs and gave a thrust of accelaration. It scared everyone and woke up my friends kid in the back.

Then I drove back to Calgary in my CRV (CVT). On highway driving I think the CVT (Hodnas 1.5 Turbo) is better, it has a waay smoother power delivery. It goes pretty quick too. The acceleration and delivery of that power felt much smother and controlled when putting the footdown.

I think one does have to change the driving style to the CVT.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Saw this 2018 Lamborghini Aventador on autoTRADER.ca's iPhone app
    http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-51361011

2022 Evo would be delivered by Jan- potentially feb (incurring 10% tax). Leaning toward the v12 at this point, it’s not much more and is the natural progression from V8 —> V10 —> V12...

I think the evo would hold value near term, but may not hold as well as the Aventador over 5+ years. Tough call.
    From page 9 (that aventador was $260k)… bought the v10 EVO, dodged the 10% tax and was just offered $120k over what I paid for it, but still would have done better on the aventador haha. Crazy market
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 08-09-2022 at 12:20 AM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

So did you sell?? Thats a heck of a return for driving it in the summer and sell before winter.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I turned it down today, too much in love with it. Sounds like the successor for the huracan will be a v8 TT, so they should hold their value for a long time to come imo.

My Ride
    Has wheels

That would've been a difficult decision, I probably would've sold

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    From page 9 (that aventador was $260k)… bought the v10 EVO, dodged the 10% tax and was just offered $120k over what I paid for it, but still would have done better on the aventador haha. Crazy market
    Fuck I miss the $260K Aventador days. Should have, would have, could have. That's life.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don’t really feel like I am missing out on anything right now.

Would it be nice if things were cheaper? Sure. But I can’t say the current cost/supply have a big impact on my life.

I like to feel good about my purchases, I doubt I would feel good about buying most anything these days.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I’m semi seriously looking for another car but I’ve decided to stick to used Toyotas for a while. Next up an ISF to replace the 335d, eventually a beater GR86 to replace my FRS and maybe a manual A90 down the road too in a few years.
    That 335d has given you nothing but issues, no?

Wife wants a new vehicle...wont settle for used.

I just know I'm gonna over pay for something soon...

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I don’t really feel like I am missing out on anything right now.

Would it be nice if things were cheaper? Sure. But I can’t say the current cost/supply have a big impact on my life.

I like to feel good about my purchases, I doubt I would feel good about buying most anything these days.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Page 54 of 125 FirstFirst ... 44 53 54 55 64 ... LastLast