Quantcast
Am I crazy or is this the worst time ever to buy a vehicle? - Page 39 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 39 of 125 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy or is this the worst time ever to buy a vehicle?

My Ride
    ute

I don't see how this is so complicated. Porsche has some special edition car that has a $200M MSRP, but sells in the secondary market for $500M. Do you think they dealer is not going to figure out a way to participate in that market and just give up the spread?

Any of these special cars get sold to an end-buyer with more money than brains, and the extra cash is captured by the DP.

My Ride
    This and that.

You guys don't seem to understand what Shelby is saying. All he is saying is that he believes that there is some sort of a rule/procedure in place that doesn't allow Canadian dealers to significantly mark-up the price of brand-new vehicles from MSRP regardless of what vehicle it might be, whereas, it doesn't seem like there are any such checks and balances in the States.

He's not saying that dealers can't find ways around it or they aren't actually marking them up and doing it (in some sly manner) - obviously they do. It's just not as prevalent or obvious as it is in States.

I don't know for sure either way but you guys are just going around in circles.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree and I don’t believe you could simply offer more money in order to get a brand new 911, they simply wouldn’t sell you one, then steer you at an alternative vehicle.
    Sure you can. You buy one of those one owner “used” ones. They’re basically never registered new cars that just shows used in the eyes of Porsche.

You can even order a new one and expect to get it sooner by paying more money. And by paying more money meaning buying a couple of other cars from them. That’s basically what’s been happening for anyone that wanted something like a gt3 rs brand new even before COVID broke supply and demand.

But you’re right, technically, you don’t see them advertising new at over msrp, but almost everyone is paying over msrp one way or another.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    You guys don't seem to understand what Shelby is saying. All he is saying is that he believes that there is some sort of a rule/procedure in place that doesn't allow Canadian dealers to significantly mark-up the price of brand-new vehicles from MSRP regardless of what vehicle it might be, whereas, it doesn't seem like there are any such checks and balances in the States.

He's not saying that dealers can't find ways around it or they aren't actually marking them up and doing it (in some sly manner) - obviously they do. It's just not as prevalent or obvious as it is in States.

I don't know for sure either way but you guys are just going around in circles.
    And Shelby is missing the point that the "brand new" cars on dealer floors in the US with the huge markups / ADMs aren't actually "brand new"; they're cars that have been punched to a VIP / shill / dealer friend and sold technically as a used car... with delivery miles and all but a week's worth of its full warranty.

It's a very symbiotic relationship between the dealer VIP and the dealership... There are a number of factors that go into determining high level allocations (GT3RS', for example), but the dealership doesn't necessarily have the same number of allocations without their VIP clients (there's generally a point system, or in the case of Porsche, most recently it was 918 buyers). Without those VIPs, the dealership risks losing allocations to other stores, so its in their interest to keep thei VIPs "in the fold"... Every situation is different, but in the Porsche world, typically the dealership gets the margin in the MSRP (~8-9% on a GT level Porsche), the VIP gets 50-75% of the ADM and the dealer gets the rest... Everyone's happy, except maybe the guy that pays $200k over for a Touring

Like I said earlier, the Canadian market isn't as supportive of huge markups, but if you want a GT3 now, I'm sure Pfaff has client cancelled order available... Or at least Kulu will be a little more honest about it
    Last edited by you&me; 04-15-2022 at 02:51 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don’t think that’s the case in the US. There are guys paying ADM on factory order cars with their name on the PO. There are guys financing new cars with ADM on it too. That’s in the AMG world anyways.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    And Shelby is missing the point that the "brand new" cars on dealer floors in the US with the huge markups / ADMs aren't actually "brand new"; they're cars that have been punched to a VIP / shill / dealer friend and sold technically as a used car... with delivery miles and all but a week's worth of its full warranty.

It's a very symbiotic relationship between the dealer VIP and the dealership... There are a number of factors that go into determining high level allocations (GT3RS', for example), but the dealership doesn't necessarily have the same number of allocations without their VIP clients (there's generally a point system, or in the case of Porsche, most recently it was 918 buyers). Without those VIPs, the dealership risks losing allocations to other stores, so its in their interest to keep thei VIPs "in the fold"... Every situation is different, but in the Porsche world, typically the dealership gets the margin in the MSRP (~8-9% on a GT level Porsche), the VIP gets 50-75% of the ADM and the dealer gets the rest... Everyone's happy, except maybe the guy that pays $200k over for a Touring

Like I said earlier, the Canadian market isn't as supportive of huge markups, but if you want a GT3 now, I'm sure Pfaff has client cancelled order available... Or at least Kulu will be a little more honest about it
    If you don't know who the dumb money at the table is, I have bad news for you....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Arguing about the definition of words is the highest form of human thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    How the fuck else we supposed to spend our holidays?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What do you mean by "arguing"?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    What do you mean by "arguing"?
    Name:  not-today-satan.gif
Views: 410
Size:  1.27 MB
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I don’t think that’s the case in the US. There are guys paying ADM on factory order cars with their name on the PO. There are guys financing new cars with ADM on it too. That’s in the AMG world anyways.
    If you have to finance ADM then you can't afford the car. It's madness but Americans don't care as they want what they want.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

This all sounds unbelievably gross to me…

Basically take the typical terrible car buying experience and quadruple the dealership BS involved.

Gross

Can’t wait for the bottom to fall out of this.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Anyone recommend a good nissan dealer in AB/SK/MB? I know it's beyonds favorite brand and all.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Anyone recommend a good nissan dealer in AB/SK/MB? I know it's killramos favorite brand and all.
    Fixed

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Accurate
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

I was not impressed with Go Nissan South in Edmonton.
    I drove by the one in Okotoks the other day and they barely have any stock. I'm not sure whether that's good/bad/indifferent.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Start emailing them. Any that don't deal over email are by definition not good dealers. I have a strong preference for not meeting my salespeople face to face.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

In-person haggling with Nissan salesman just adds to the experience of purchasing a Japanese built tank.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    If you don't know who the dumb money at the table is, I have bad news for you....
    I prefer not to get involved with who's dumb and whatnot... I just follow directions

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    I prefer not to get involved with who's dumb and whatnot... I just follow directions
    I wasn't referring to you, I was agreeing with you, hah

Page 39 of 125 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast