Quantcast
Asus AI mesh discussion thread. Not mega. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asus AI mesh discussion thread. Not mega.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Asus AI mesh discussion thread. Not mega.

That other thread, which shall not be named, turned into a single brand hardware discussion, which I guess is fine, but doesn't help the rest of us more plebian networkers.

Anyway, Asus AImesh is pretty common. And I jist bought an RT-AX88U to go with my RT-AC86U. Gonna hack up an AImesh system.

Asus bros unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is that the system that blows up if you use two of their own routers?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyway I'm up and running with a mesh. Some optimization and cable management work needed, but we have the RT-AC86U acting as a node with wired connection to the main RT-AX88U.
    Name:  zzzz-aimesh map 2021-05-09.PNG
Views: 485
Size:  41.4 KB
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    rally pig

I have 3 ASUS routers at home.
    1 RT-AC66U B1 dedicated as main router
    Have 1 RT-AC68U as AP mode and 1 RT-AC66U B1 as node.
    A little over kill for our single level house but the node AC66U is backup incase the router dies.

The times I've played with AIMESH, I ended up going back to hard wired AP mode. I have two RT-AC86U's running in AP mode running separate 5GHz and 2.4GHz (not a fan of Smart Connect either).
    Is it just me, or have others had the same experience?

I have been using AiMesh with a RT-AC86u as main (in basement) and a RT-AC3100 (on the main floor) as node. Both are using wired backbone. System seems to run fine for us. Actually I also have an Apple AirPort Extreme (on the 2nd floor) running as another AP but obviously not part of the AiMesh.

My Ride
    Silverado

RT-AX86U checking in. Has enough power to cover my house well enough, usually get about half speed (150 mbps) in the furthest away corner. was considering buying the one on market place for shits and giggles anyways
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 05-09-2021 at 04:53 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    RT-AX86U checking in. Has enough power to cover my house well enough, usually get about half speed (150 mbps) in the furthest away corner. was considering buying the one on market place for shits and giggles anyways
    I jumped on that one, and am having my giggles now.

I have an RT-AX88U and an RP-AX56 which is an awesome little device that behaves exactly like an additional mesh router but without any of the added complexity or size. It plugs into a normal power outlet and has the profile of a night light. Dead simple setup via Asus app and it also supports dedicated backhaul which does not impact performance, at least in my tests. I would suggest anyone looking to buy a second router to make a mesh system look at the RP-AX56 first (they make an AC/WiFi 5 version as well) as it probably does everything you need for less money and size. You can even set up the node with a separate SSID.

Everything is working great so far. The key is to make sure the mesh node is as far away from the main router as possible as I did have some issues with 2.4Ghz devices still trying to grab onto the router instead of the node (despite the node having a much stronger signal) until I moved them farther apart.

The main router actually covers my entire house beautifully (600-900 Mbps everywhere on WiFi even 2 floors away), but one of my security cameras is on the other side of 2 brick walls on the exterior of the house and can't get a strong enough signal to function properly without the mesh node.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00116022
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-10-2021 at 02:29 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I have an RT-AX88U and an RP-AX56
    Assuming your RP-AX56 is running on wireless?
    I'm running Shaw router (not bridged) basement
    to AX55 wired main,
    then wireless AC3100 2nd floor far corner

Recently the furthest node has been dropping out requiring restarts 1/week-ish

Previously I had tried to use Velop, but it was not google home friendly when trying to cast across devices on different nodes. (apparently you have to disable the velop mode, and go to AP mode, which is stupid since it defeats mesh)
    moved to this and I've solved that problem but having AC3100 taking up my desk space is not ideal.
    (no I'm not putting in the time/money/effort to hardwire the furthest node)
    Last edited by jwslam; 05-10-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Assuming your RP-AX56 is running on wireless?
    It has been yes (and is currently), however I have experimented with it both wireless and using wired backhaul. I can get 800Mbps+ through it over WiFi when using the wired backhaul which is about what I would expect. I have had no issues with the wireless aspect of it, however once I have time to figure out which of the many Cat6 cables in my basement is linked to the spare bedroom upstairs (where the node is), I will probably leave it hardwired just because that's always better if you have the option. There's an ethernet port right beside the plug it's in so it's convenient, but if that wasn't the case I would just leave it wireless.

As mentioned though, mesh nodes do not work as well when it was placed too close to the router, and Asus warns against this as well. As soon as I moved mine about as far apart as they could possibly be, everything worked as expected.

I had to upgrade to a mesh to connect to a shaw box that was a floor and several walls away from the Main AC3100.

I had a hardwired link run in the cold air return for my sons bedroom that I re-purposed.

So

RT-AC3100 main and RT-AC66U secondary.

You guys probably know this but you can lock devices to a particular router if they keep switching back and forth.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I have a GT-AC5300 upstairs and a RT-AC68U in the basement on AiMesh. After a bit of a struggle to get the node added it's been up and running fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    You guys probably know this but you can lock devices to a particular router if they keep switching back and forth.
    You can on Asus Mesh but you need it to catch it once it's connected.

Once the device you want to lock is connected to the node, log in to your router.asus.com and click on Ai Mesh, click on your Mesh node and on the right hand side you will see a list of all connected devices with little buttons to "bind" or "reconnect" beside each device. Hit "bind" on the one you want.

You can also set up the Node as a guest network with a different SSID and force the device to connect that way.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My node, which is hardwired, is probably too close to the main router. Anyway, having some confusion getting "most" things to stick with the main router, which has the stronger signal. I see the Roaming assistant setting, but that isn't seeming to make much difference no matter what I set the dbm to.
    I know I can lock devices to a specific node, but is there a way to get devices to "prefer" one node "more strongly"? Does that make sense? Use the main router unless the signal is extremely weak?

Also, kind of related, when I manually restart the node, things connect to the main routers just like they should. Is there a way to restart the node on a schedule that is different than the main router? Like more often? That would kick devices off the node on that schedule anyway.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Is there a way to restart the node on a schedule that is different than the main router? Like more often? That would kick devices off the node on that schedule anyway.
    Smart plug

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Guess I had forgotten to turn off QOS. It's off and it's running fast now. Yay.
    177/176 now. Not bad when I pay for 150/150.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Giving up on my AiMesh system

For sale are my (obo)
    RT3100 - $100
    AX55 - $100

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can someone explain to me the difference between using a device like the RP-AX56 and using a "real router" set up as an AIMesh node? Are they basically the same end result, just cheaper hardware for the RP? Same if wired? Same if wireless? @Mitsu3000gt

I still had some weirdness with my RT-AC86U node, so I ended up just shutting to down. Don't have a good time of day for a scheduled restart, because we have overnight programs on the google smart speakers that don't behave well during a disconnect. Get "nearly" acceptable coverage, but with summer approaching, we'll need a stronger signal in the back yard pretty soon.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sometimes I go on the SmallNetBuilder forums and read for a while and realize I'm not progressing in my understanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast