Quantcast
Shipping COD. Anything I should be worried about? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shipping COD. Anything I should be worried about?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Shipping COD. Anything I should be worried about?

I got a potential buyer for my bike and he's asking about paying COD (cause I'm not accepting Paypal and I don't think he'll do etransfer to protect himself), which I don't have any problems with; I just haven't done it before. Anything I should be worried about? I know Canada Post accepts the money on my behalf and sends me a cheque for it after, but is there anyway I could potentially get screwed by this?

What if the guy refuses the package on arrival? Am I screwed out of shipping it there and back?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I looked into this recently for wheels.

You could get screwed if he doesn’t accept delivery, basically you are out the shipping amount which you have to pay up front. Personally I’d be asking him to send you the money for shipping via e transfer in advance ( call it a deposit).

Ran into a debatable issue with the amount that could actually be done by CP CoD. Might want to get some clarity on that depending on the value of the bike, there is also some debate over whether he can actually pay for it on the other side with debit or credit and might need a bank draft which sounds like a nightmare.

IMO. Get the cost of shipping in advance, and have it insured to cover yourself and you should be fine. I never bothered figuring out the details on COD, but it basically sounds like an escrow service to me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Bikes are pretty high demand at the moment, I'd just stick to selling it locally

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I looked into this recently for wheels.

You could get screwed if he doesn’t accept delivery, basically you are out the shipping amount which you have to pay up front. Personally I’d be asking him to send you the money for shipping via e transfer in advance ( call it a deposit).

Ran into a debatable issue with the amount that could actually be done by CP CoD. Might want to get some clarity on that depending on the value of the bike, there is also some debate over whether he can actually pay for it on the other side with debit or credit and might need a bank draft which sounds like a nightmare.

IMO. Get the cost of shipping in advance, and have it insured to cover yourself and you should be fine. I never bothered figuring out the details on COD, but it basically sounds like an escrow service to me.
    Hmm... Cost of shipping in advance isn't a bad idea. Hadn't considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Bikes are pretty high demand at the moment, I'd just stick to selling it locally
    I've had this thing posted for about a month on a few sites and have had numerous people flake out. It's getting pretty fucking annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I got a potential buyer for my bike and he's asking about paying COD (cause I'm not accepting Paypal and I don't think he'll do etransfer to protect himself), which I don't have any problems with; I just haven't done it before. Anything I should be worried about? I know Canada Post accepts the money on my behalf and sends me a cheque for it after, but is there anyway I could potentially get screwed by this?

What if the guy refuses the package on arrival? Am I screwed out of shipping it there and back?
    Don't know if this could even still be a thing but way back when we got screwed because the guy paid by cheque which we never even realized was a legitimate accepted payment term for COD and when the cheque bounced we never got paid and the scammer already had the goods. This is Waaaay back though so it may not even be doable like that anymore.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Don't know if this could even still be a thing but way back when we got screwed because the guy paid by cheque which we never even realized was a legitimate accepted payment term for COD and when the cheque bounced we never got paid and the scammer already had the goods. This is Waaaay back though so it may not even be doable like that anymore.
    I'm just reading on RFD and it sounds like I can request cash as the method of payment so I don't think a bounced cheque will be a problem. Plus looking at his profile, he's got way more expensive gear than me haha (unless he stole all that )

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I've done COD both way's no issues. Had rims shipped to me i paid COD, sent other parts around and had people pay me.

I agree, buyer should pre pay shipping though to cover that possibility. It's what i've done everytime.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Sounds like a good practice is to get the buyer to etransfer the shipping + COD cost twice in case I have to ship it back, and just deduct the return amount from amount to collect.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

If it sounds like someone it trying to pull a fast one they probably are.

Good idea on not accepting Paypal, they side with the buyer 100% of the time if any issue comes up, including buyers remorse lol. When I'm selling expensive cards online its EMT only and paid in full before shipping. Not worth the risk IMO.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I just came here to make a fish joke.

Shipping COD? Sounds fishy.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked