Quantcast
2021 Calgary Municipal Election - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Calgary Municipal Election

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I think the one thing with Farkas that gets glazed over is that when he does vote no, he usually has a good explanation but it often gets ignored and makes him look crappy. THe other Councilors love pointing that out as well.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the one thing with Farkas that gets glazed over is that when he does vote no, he usually has a good explanation but it often gets ignored and makes him look crappy. THe other Councilors love pointing that out as well.
    Mostly because he is of libertarian ideals. I don't have any problem other than grandstanding but Nenshi did a lot of that too.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

RE Developers: Davidson/Farkas Pro. Gondek against.

Tax: Farkas tax freeze. Davidson tax freeze on residential. Gondek, get bigger share from AB gov.

Development: Farkas - Dr. No. Davidson, higher tax base but not tax rate (more). Gondek, drunken sailor.

I think it's more likely you get what you voted for with Farkas.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-23-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Farkas? Nothing, and that's point.

No Green Line
    No Downtown revitalization
    No Alcohol in parks pilot
    No Proof of Vax

Jyoti rarely made the news cycle but basically she's Nenshi 2.0.

If you want Calgary as-is vote Jyoti. If you want government out of your life, vote Farkas.
    Is there another downtown revitalization project in the works? I think there's a new one every 5 years.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I haven't delved super deep into either of them, other than being the current front runners. What's wrong with both Gondek and Farkas?
    I was just quoting maskedbandit's psycho comment, that's not reflective of my thoughts on him.

Farkas is the closest to Ron Swanson that we can get, and I'm all for that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Is there another downtown revitalization project in the works? I think there's a new one every 5 years.
    You mean the one where we write blank checks to build apartments in office towers?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You mean the one where we write blank checks to build apartments in office towers?
    I thought Nenshi was anti-developer.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I thought Nenshi was anti-developer.
    He just wants to become the developer

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

He just wants to become the developer
    That's good, because governments do everything best.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The BAST

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Farkas is good at getting headlines. Bad at getting councillors to like him. This combination is a pro or a con depending on your viewpoint.

I don't like the guy, feel like I'd hate having a beer with him, so I'll keep my vote with Shaoli, who is certified chill.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Could you imagine a City Hall created Shawarma?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Could you imagine a City Hall created Shawarma?
    I'd eat the ass end out of that. Wait . . . .
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Mostly because he is of libertarian ideals. I don't have any problem other than grandstanding but Nenshi did a lot of that too.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

RE Developers: Davidson/Farkas Pro. Gondek against.
    They're both pro developer, in the sense of their voting history and who funds their campaigns. You wont find a candidate in Calgary not majorly funded by developers.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

As much as I dislike farkas, id be totally ok with him as mayor now that I know how useless of a role it is. At the end of the day they are one vote and would be kind of funny to have the mayor’s vision/ideas get over ruled by the majority councillors.

My Ride
    Silverado

yea, they basically have no additional power. electing farkas alone would likely result in no changes, but if he does manage to get elected it could be an indication on the type of councillors elected across the city. Dan Mclean vs DCU as an example

Dug up this older article to talk about how maybe our mayor needs more power
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ayor-1.5919153

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Heres what I was talking about with Farkas. His full explanation makes sense while other candidates push the "Farkas doesnt support health measures and vaccinations"

From his FB page:

"I need to set the record straight on some recent baseless claims. To be clear: I support vaccination, have personally been vaccinated, and encourage others to do so if they are able. After mishandling by the provincial government, I understand why some want City Hall to try to step in and fix things. However, I did not agree with the City bringing in additional vaccine passport requirements on top of what the province has already implemented.

Here’s why:
    The Alberta vaccine passport program has problems, but it allows some limited flexibility for children aged 12-17 in certain situations. In contrast, this City system now requires 12-year-old children to be vaccinated in order to receive what many would consider essential services. The provincial program is confusing enough. The additional City requirements and contradictory rules will be even more burdensome on families and small business owners who are already struggling to navigate a very complex situation.
    The provincial government is in charge of health. My focus has always been on ways that City Hall can help within our own areas of control, rather than make a bad situation worse. This election is about change versus more of the same. As we are in the final stretch of the campaign, I expect that smear attacks from these establishment politicians will continue. As always, I encourage you to contact me directly if you have any questions about me, my views, or a position I’ve taken.

Jeromy"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I support the city staying out of matters normally under provincial control. layering in additional bullshit isn't helping anything. I'm with J-roc on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Heres what I was talking about with Farkas. His full explanation makes sense while other candidates push the "Farkas doesnt support health measures and vaccinations"

From his FB page:

"I need to set the record straight on some recent baseless claims. To be clear: I support vaccination, have personally been vaccinated, and encourage others to do so if they are able. After mishandling by the provincial government, I understand why some want City Hall to try to step in and fix things. However, I did not agree with the City bringing in additional vaccine passport requirements on top of what the province has already implemented.

HereĀ’s why:
    The Alberta vaccine passport program has problems, but it allows some limited flexibility for children aged 12-17 in certain situations. In contrast, this City system now requires 12-year-old children to be vaccinated in order to receive what many would consider essential services. The provincial program is confusing enough. The additional City requirements and contradictory rules will be even more burdensome on families and small business owners who are already struggling to navigate a very complex situation.
    The provincial government is in charge of health. My focus has always been on ways that City Hall can help within our own areas of control, rather than make a bad situation worse. This election is about change versus more of the same. As we are in the final stretch of the campaign, I expect that smear attacks from these establishment politicians will continue. As always, I encourage you to contact me directly if you have any questions about me, my views, or a position IĀ’ve taken.

Jeromy"
    And because you get your information from Jeromy Farkas, you think this is a reasonable stance. Because you don't have any intention on questioning whether any of it is actually true, or has been answered.

-The provincial program is confusing enough. The additional City requirements and contradictory rules will be even more burdensome on families and small business owners who are already struggling to navigate a very complex situation.

Which is why businesses asked the City to do something. They wanted consistency and clarity. By making it a blanket bylaw it removes the complexity and makes it easy to navigate. It also importantly gives city peace officers the ability to enforce the bylaws as the current provincial rules don't allow for enforcement.

-In contrast, this City system now requires 12-year-old children to be vaccinated in order to receive what many would consider essential services.

Classic case of weasel words. I guess "many people" could consider the things on the left essential services for a 12 year old. It explicitly omits what "many people" would consider essential services for 12+ year olds. As for the in-scope ones, it basically comes at the request of business and organizations again. Hockey Calgary and Calgary Minor Soccer had to switch up their vaccination requirements because city facilities were going to require it, and they wouldn't be able to use them otherwise.

-The provincial government is in charge of health. My focus has always been on ways that City Hall can help within our own areas of control, rather than make a bad situation worse.

The provincial government also made it clear in their Covid protocol guidelines that municipalities can and should use what strategies they can to help with Covid mitigation, including bylaws and opening plans. With the expiration of the ministerial order allowing peace officers to enforce the Public Health Act, a municipal bylaw needs to be enacted in order to allow enforcement. How does he think this is out of the City Hall's focus when it explicitly stated to be by the province, and how does this make the situation worse by giving businesses what they're asking for?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    The provincial government also made it clear in their Covid protocol guidelines that municipalities can and should use what strategies they can to help with Covid mitigation, including bylaws and opening plans. With the expiration of the ministerial order allowing peace officers to enforce the Public Health Act, a municipal bylaw needs to be enacted in order to allow enforcement. How does he think this is out of the City Hall's focus when it explicitly stated to be by the province, and how does this make the situation worse by giving businesses what they're asking for?
    Not worth it to argue this any further, but I will say that I want City Council to be involved as little as possible in my daily life, especially in matters of public health. Not a Doctor or medially educated person in the lot... Yet here they are pushing things further than the Chief Medical Officer of the Province. Nenshis knowledge knows no boundaries I suppose. If you are fine with that, thats great, place your vote for Gondek and it will continue. Not for me.

What do you think the city is doing that the CMO doesn’t support and recommend?

Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast