Quantcast
Auto Insurance Experts: Dashcams - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auto Insurance Experts: Dashcams

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Auto Insurance Experts: Dashcams

Given the current state of how auto claims are handled in AB, is it necessary or worthwhile to have a dashcam?

I certainly do, makes no sense to me to not have one. My family is adamant that there is no point and it's wasting money because of how insurance handles claims now.

From an insurance perspective, is there value to having footage? Does it affect your premiums if you get into an accident that is proven to not be at-fault, or does being at-fault or not matter anymore?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

To me yes. The shit I capture daily in Edmonton boggles my mind.

2 lane roads are still 2 lanes even when snow covered.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

What is the current state of how auto claims are handled in AB?

Regardless, I don't see why it wouldn't be. I never hurts to have additional data should you ever need it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is the current state of how auto claims are handled in AB?
    https://youtu.be/nNQ3g6VDyfg?feature=shared

Colorized video above
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I don't know how it works, never had this issue, but my dad recently got into an accident (his fault) and he got a traffic ticket on top of it. If nothing else, the dashcam can at least give you some evidence with the police. Don't know how it works otherwise, but you can get a cheap cam for under $100....such small price to pay for some extra security and knowing you have evidence of basically most things on the road. I have em in both of my cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Since your question is about insurance, how could it help lower your insurance?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Dashcams don't currently impact your premiums per se, there are no "discounts" in the traditional sense. Where they hold value is providing an impartial account of events which will often get you out of a 50/50 decision like a sideswipe. There are a lot of people that get handed a 50/50 decision simply because there's no way to prove who was in the wrong, occupants of your vehicle don't count as witnesses. A 50/50 does the same thing to your record as a full blown 100% at-fault so keeping that off your record can be huge.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Bicycle

In the 13 years that I had a dashcam, I only caught 1 footage that's worthy of going viral and 1 that helped someone else.

Other than that, I think it's something you regret not having after an accident.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I sent my dash cam footage to the insurance company. They appreciated it. That's the only experience I have with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If involved in an accident that isn't your fault, and clearly not your fault, my understanding is that there is some DCPD deductible you pay (or maybe it's $0 in this scenario idk) and your own insurance company gets the repairs sorted and then goes after the at-fault person's insurance. It doesn't affect your premiums. But the premiums of the at-fault person's insurance do get adjusted if they don't have accident forgiveness.

My coworker actually had someone back into him at a light and then the guy went to the police saying my coworker rear-ended him. Surprised this douche didn't get charged with filing a fake police report but he came back and changed his statement when called out on it. Dash cam seemed pretty worthwhile then!
    Last edited by msommers; 01-16-2024 at 12:07 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Where they hold value is providing an impartial account of events which will often get you out of a 50/50 decision like a sideswipe. There are a lot of people that get handed a 50/50 decision simply because there's no way to prove who was in the wrong, occupants of your vehicle don't count as witnesses. A 50/50 does the same thing to your record as a full blown 100% at-fault so keeping that off your record can be huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    My coworker actually had someone back into him at a light and then the guy went to the police saying my coworker rear-ended him. Surprised this douche didn't get charged with filing a fake police report but he came back and changed his statement when called out on it. Dash cam seemed pretty worthwhile then!
    See, these are big reasons why I see value in having a dash cam.

1) If you're in a 50/50 situation, having additional footage can tip the balance of at-fault one way or the other, and

2) Just the possibility of having footage could keep the other party honest if they were going to do something fraudulent. See Little Dragon's incident, for example.

I also see value in potentially having footage for other peoples' situations from a different angle, being a witness to a crime, and of course, the LOLZ.

My Ride
    Bicycle

That's basically it.

Remember back like 15 or 20 years where there were a bunch of scammers faking being run over and blackmail you in the Core parking or something. I think that was before dashcam was a thing tho.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My son was rear ended stopped at a crosswalk and got pushed into the car in front. Without the footage he would’ve been at fault for hitting car ahead. That would’ve been a massive insurance hike for next year.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My dash cam saved a guy I was behind who got smoked by a chick who was pissed drunk and cut into him, and turns out over two years later it was used by the crown to prosecute her. I have had no need of it for personal issues though.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Yes. It is also peace of mind. It is also about what happens after an accident. Not all people are nice. They can be pretty ruthless.

There may be scenarios where a car may side swipe you into your lane. How will you prove it? It happened to a friend last year on his Golf R.

On other occasions I went to pick up a friend. I ended up waiting at the wrong location. A lady came out of her house and started to threaten me, abusive racist language etc. Then threated to call the police, as I moved away she chased me with her car. That one time I needed my cheap ass dashcam to work...it did not. Hence I upgraded last summer.

I was rear ended three years ago. The other driver was playing games in a polite way and did not want to go through his insurance. His attitude completely changed when he realized I had a rear dash cam.

Over the summer I witnessed a car slam into the side of another coming out of a gas station in the distance. My dashcam caught it. The police and victim asked for separate copies for their own records.

I have had multiple near misses on Deerfoot with overly aggressive drivers. On other occasions some drivers have almost reversed into me when and it would have looked like I rear ended them.
    I have caught deer and goats running out in front of me. I have missed. But cool footage.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Insurance issues aside, it is great security. If someone ever tries to scam you by claiming you caused an accident when really, THEY did, it's the difference between paying dearly for someone else's mistake, or teaching them a lesson. It can be useful to verify or deny work done at a shop. And frankly, I've gotten a kick out of going over footage of accidents and close calls I've had caused by others.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

So in short, it can help decide 50/50 collisions as expected. But if not at fault, regardless if you have footage or not, you'll have to pay a deductible to your insurance company to repair it? But won't be subject to premium increases.

Does that sound right?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So in short, it can help decide 50/50 collisions as expected. But if not at fault, regardless if you have footage or not, you'll have to pay a deductible to your insurance company to repair it? But won't be subject to premium increases.

Does that sound right?
    You don’t pay deductible if not at fault.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My son was rear ended stopped at a crosswalk and got pushed into the car in front. Without the footage he would’ve been at fault for hitting car ahead. That would’ve been a massive insurance hike for next year.
    Not exactly. It all depends if the person in the Front Vehicle felt one or two impacts in a rear-end chain. If they felt two, that would mean the middle car rear-ended the vehicle in front first (1st impact), then the middle vehicle was also pushed into the vehicle in front by the rear vehicle (the 2nd impact). That would mean the middle vehicle would be at fault as they rear-ended the vehicle in front first. If instead, the front vehicle only felt one impact, that would mean the middle was pushed by the vehicle in the rear. The middle vehicle would be not at fault.

Does that sound right?
    Yes, dashcams or independent witnesses can help to determine fault. If determined not at fault, you don't pay a deductible. If 50/50 fault, you pay half your deductible. So if you have a $500 deductible, you would pay $250.

Also, If you're at fault or partially at fault, your insurer will likely raise your rates upon renewal.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by SportEL View Post
    Not exactly. It all depends if the person in the Front Vehicle felt one or two impacts in a rear-end chain. If they felt two, that would mean the middle car rear-ended the vehicle in front first (1st impact), then the middle vehicle was also pushed into the vehicle in front by the rear vehicle (the 2nd impact). That would mean the middle vehicle would be at fault as they rear-ended the vehicle in front first. If instead, the front vehicle only felt one impact, that would mean the middle was pushed by the vehicle in the rear. The middle vehicle would be not at fault.
    Thanks there CSI. This rarely happens in practice. Adjusters take the easy path and just deem fault one after another in a multi crash situation all the time regardless of witness statements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast