Quantcast
Is being CKC registered important? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is being CKC registered important?

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Is being CKC registered important?

Hello, my wife and I have finally decided that we would like to get a small puppy as a pet for our home. We have both to have one for the longest time but the timing never felt right, but now that we are out of the condo and in a house with plenty of space and backyard, we think it's about time. We are also planning to start a family, so we think having a puppy a year or so before a baby will also be helpful (as long as the puppy can amalgamate with a baby and stuff without safety concern). Based on our lifestyle and preferences, we have narrowed down that Havanese would the puppy we would like to have. I have contacted numerous breeders throughout AB and BC and it doesn't appear that there are any that have puppies available. I have also been scouring Kijiji and came across one breeder that has a puppy available that we seem to like. The issue is, they are not CKC registered. They have a website and look pretty legit in every way and say they have been breeding for 20 years but are not CKC registered.

I am not quite sure what being CKC registered means and what does it mean to be not be registered/be registered. Should I care about this or not let it bother me from going ahead with the purchase of one of their puppies?

Thanks everyone for your input.

My Ride
    ute

Do breeders accept trade ins?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The only people who will know are you, and the people you tell. If that’s important to you then get CKC registered.

Don’t pretend it’s a warrant of the dogs “quality”, temperament, or health in any way though.

Personally I have a problem with the concept of puppy mills, so I would do a lot of due diligence to ensure that the animal isn’t coming from such a situation. CKC registration could be an indicator of such diligence.

Personally, don’t get hung up about it. I’ve had CKC dogs and non CKC dogs and it becomes something you forget about a few days after you bring them home.

Seriously consider a rescue pet, there are animals in shelters every day that need good homes. Not a judgment either way, just something to consider that has potential to make a real difference in the life of an animal.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-16-2021 at 08:50 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    This and that.

Absolutely, we have thought about adoption/rescue dogs and it was the first thought that crossed our minds. However, after talking to some dog people, we have been advised to not do that for our first pet without having any prior experience with dogs before as their temperaments may be unpredictable and require significant additional work. Everyone has suggested against it as first time dog owners.

In regards to CKC, so from what I am understanding is, that it doesn't really matter? The website for these breeders and detailed and they state they have been breeding for 20 years, so otherwise all other indicators are fine. What questions should we ask them about their operation and animals? What to expect in the process?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It only matters if you plan on breeding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Gross, isn't that illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Can you find some references of people who have gotten animals from them online? Preferably people not connected to said breeder, basically a review on their website is worth less than nothing to me.

The world of dog breeding is full of weirdos, it’s just the nature of it. You are trying to find the least worst weirdo.

Wrt “ temperaments may be unpredictable and require significant additional work “, nothing is stopping your $$$ designer pure bred papered 8 week old puppy from developing any number of temperament issues or problems. No matter what a breeder tells you. Just something to be eyes wide open about.

CKC membership only really becomes relevant if you want to show, compete, or breed your dog in sanctioned events in North America. It is completely irrelevant for a family pet. On the breeding thing, almost any dog you are looking at will likely have you signing away breeding rights to the dog ( ie you won’t be allowed to ) even if papered. The breeders don’t want just any smuck messing up lines and churning out puppies.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-16-2021 at 09:32 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

Either way, you still have to abrogate your place at the apex of evolution to bend over and fondle its warm shits in your hands. #degrading

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Puppy mills hate competition.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

how do you enforce breeding rights?

"Hey you, stop that dog from fucking!"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Unenforceable contracts.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    how do you enforce breeding rights?

"Hey you, stop that dog from fucking!"
    The consequence of not having papers… is not being able to have more papers

fact.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Something to consider from a CKC breeder are references, show records, community participation and health guarantees. We know someone whose puppy, unfortunately, had to be put down due to serious health complications. The breeder was willing to provide a new puppy at no cost using two different parents ($3,000 value). Additionally, when we started looking for Westies, we ended up finding out that a lot of people we met at dog parks or friends of friends all referenced back to specific breeders -- they were popular breeders who provided healthy, long-living dogs. There may be backyard breeders who do it routinely but CKC breeders are certainly much easier to inquire about.

That said, we went with a backyard breeder who ended up being wonderful. It felt like a huge gamble to me at the beginning, but in the end we didn't have a choice when it came to using a breeder. My frustration with every single breeder in western Canada was due to ambiguous waitlist positioning (are we 3rd or 30th? No one would say) and frankly 80% of them didn't return emails or voicemails. I'm not sure what it is about dog breeder websites but they all look like they were made using GeoCities from 1994!

To your specific breed, I inquired with someone on the pathway about their Havanese and I'm pretty certain they mentioned a great breeder in Camrose. Google returns this one but I don't know if it would truly be the same one: https://www.pawpawrazzipups.com/

Best of luck!
    Last edited by msommers; 05-16-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Silverado

Personally, skip the dog if you're planning on starting a family. The amount of attention our dog gets went from a ton, to none after the baby.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Something to consider from a CKC breeder are references, show records, community participation and health guarantees. We know someone whose puppy, unfortunately, had to be put down due to serious health complications. The breeder was willing to provide a new puppy at no cost using two different parents ($3,000 value). Additionally, when we started looking for Westies, we ended up finding out that a lot of people we met at dog parks or friends of friends all referenced back to specific breeders -- they were popular breeders who provided healthy, long-living dogs. There may be backyard breeders who do it routinely but CKC breeders are certainly much easier to inquire about.

That said, we went with a backyard breeder who ended up being wonderful. It felt like a huge gamble to me at the beginning, but in the end we didn't have a choice when it came to using a breeder. My frustration with every single breeder in western Canada was due to ambiguous waitlist positioning (are we 3rd or 30th? No one would say) and frankly 80% of them didn't return emails or voicemails. I'm not sure what it is about dog breeder websites but they all look like they were made using GeoCities from 1994!

To your specific breed, I inquired with someone on the pathway about their Havanese and I'm pretty certain they mentioned a great breeder in Camrose. Google returns this one but I don't know if it would truly be the same one: https://www.pawpawrazzipups.com/

Best of luck!
    That link is the exact breeder I am talking about actually.

My Ride
    *The First*

My very limited experience with this is that AMERICAN Kennel Club papers are significantly more valuable. We had a dog that we had to jump through some hoops to get him AKC Registered and that was theoretically beneficial. Dumb fuck still couldn't figure out how to screw a bitch and there was a hilarious incident where he jizzed on another owner's face while attempting to breed, but c'est la vie! At least she had naughty librarian glasses on.
    LoL!
    I haven't bothered to read the other posts, but I seized the opportunity to tell my gross story.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Not much to add besides a whois lookup says that domain was registered in 2007 so would backup that they've been around a long while and not just a pop up puppy mill.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Absolutely, we have thought about adoption/rescue dogs and it was the first thought that crossed our minds. However, after talking to some dog people, we have been advised to not do that for our first pet without having any prior experience with dogs before as their temperaments may be unpredictable and require significant additional work. Everyone has suggested against it as first time dog owners.

In regards to CKC, so from what I am understanding is, that it doesn't really matter? The website for these breeders and detailed and they state they have been breeding for 20 years, so otherwise all other indicators are fine. What questions should we ask them about their operation and animals? What to expect in the process?
    Dogs are like humans.. They all have their own personality.

People saying go to a breeder or CKC this or that are strictly no interested in a dogs well being and don't care about those in shelters.

Some of the best dogs you can EVER get are those from shelters but yes they usually do take a bit of work because you know they have been tossed around and not cared about.

Our 7 year old dog was an adoption/shelter dog and she's been fantastic in every way possible.

As a first time dog/pet owner.. shelters such as those like Aarcs are awesome because they understand risks and want to ensure dogs are a good fit unlike a "mill" ..

Also .. if there is a baby in the mix do the whole family a service and don't get a dog.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    However, after talking to some dog people, we have been advised to not do that for our first pet without having any prior experience with dogs before as their temperaments may be unpredictable and require significant additional work. Everyone has suggested against it as first time dog owners.
    Sounds like the "dog people" you've talked to are people who forked out big bucks at breeders and are trying to justify the money they spent.

I'm probably biased here, but I volunteer at a shelter and I'm constantly coming across some really amazing animals of all species and I often wonder why they were even surrendered. When I look up their files, it's more often that it's the previous owners who have given up on caring for the animals than the animals displaying behavioural issues. After animals are brought in, they're evaluated to see if they are adoption ready and if they aren't they're given to foster parents who spend time with the animals to work out any issues they may have, whether it's training or just giving them the attention they need. A good shelter isn't going to hand off some random animal to an owner who has not had any prior experience; they're trying to find the right fit for both the animal and family.

I don't know anything about breeders, but I can't imagine them spending the same amount of time and resources on each dog cause it'd probably cut into them churning out puppies for profit.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I am gonna come at this from a different angle here.

I wouldn't focus so much on the "breed". I say this because a breed can only provide so much in terms of what a potential dog's temperament COULD be like. Did you know that the standard poodle was historically a water dog, much like the golden retriever, and was bred for duck and other water foul hunting? However, this doesn't hold true really in today's world, and most of the ones I have encountered avoid water.

What I am getting at is, don't do a tightrope walk and focus on a specific breed. Instead, make a list of traits you want in the dog. do you want high energy? athletics? couch potato? etc... You get no guarantees with a puppy. With the amount of inbreeding out there, there are very few "true blue blood" dogs out there, and the ones that are usually suffering from inbreeding to the point that their health is so poor, you are going to go bankrupt at the vet trying to keep them alive. Now, that isn't always the case, but it is a lot of the time. Even CKC and AKG certification is worth less than the air it takes to say the letters. I guess I should answer your question directly here, no, don't worry about CKC registration. It is worthless to you. No one is going to come asking if your little rufus is CKC registered. no one cares. With the exception of dog shows and other breeders, so unless you are going to be hob-nobbing with them, it's a worthless premium you are going to pay for. I lump these groups into the same category as the BBB. They pay for it so they can sell puppies, and usually at a premium.

In short, for you and the scenario you described, I would forget the 8 or 10-week old puppy. Take your list of wants from a dog, and go shop the rescues and city animal shelters. The rescues will 9/10 times be WAY more reputable than most "breeders" out there, and they have a genuine interest in finding you the perfect K9 for you and your family. Be as specific as you want. Any dog that a rescue would feel comfortable sending home with you is going to be less work than trying to raise a puppy, and as a bonus, you are going in knowing what the dog's temperament is. And don't just go by their website descriptions. Call them. Have a conversation and lay out your concerns, and they will see if they have a dog(s) that fit what you want. Many of these dogs are in foster homes and they know exactly what they have there in a particular dog. Good with kids, house trained, kennel trained, basic and or advanced commands, etc... And many of them even set you up for success with dog training classes too, which not only help you train your dog but also train you on how to live WITH your dog.

Full disclosure, I don't have a horse in the race here. I am speaking from my experience and from what I have seen others' experience. I have done the breeder route and the rescue route many times for both cats and dogs. My most recent dog came from a farm east of Calgary, but, I also checked every rescue I could find first looking for that right fit. If I found it, I wouldn't have my current dog, but instead a rescue. My advice for you as a first-time owner, exhaust the rescues first. It is the most responsible thing you can do in your situation. Unless of course, you want the bragging rights of having a pure bred CKC registered dog, well, sometimes that is more important to some people. If that's you Shak, I am not throwing shade at all. We all know how you are so frou-frou with your cars

Like I said before, if you are worried about putting in the work with a dog that a reputable rescue thinks would be a good match based on your lifestyle, you are going to be in for a much bigger world of hurt with a puppy.
    Last edited by spikerS; 05-17-2021 at 03:36 AM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast