Quantcast
Is being CKC registered important? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is being CKC registered important?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

People think WAY too hard over something that you just follow around and pick shit up from.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People think WAY too hard over something that you just follow around and pick shit up from.
    People like to talk shit about something they don't own or understand

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Personally, skip the dog if you're planning on starting a family. The amount of attention our dog gets went from a ton, to none after the baby.
    Under looked comment of the thread. If you wanted to start a family in 4 years, for sure get a pup now, but getting one a year before you pop out a crotchfruit? Terrible idea. Especially knowing the hours lawyers work, his poor wife will have to deal with both for most hours of the day, and the dogs going to get the shit end of the stick.

If you insist on getting one Shak, make sure it's a VERY low energy breed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Some people see dog ownership as a "trial run" for raising kids. I know a few people who did this.

I can't provide any firsthand knowledge of the benefits or drawbacks of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Some people see dog ownership as a "trial run" for raising kids. I know a few people who did this.

I've always heard that, but I've been a dog owner almost my entire life, and the only logic I can figure out in that thought is maybe one partner want to find out if the other is capable of murdering a smaller lifeform when they're pissed off.

Other than that, it's two very different experiences.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Under looked comment of the thread. If you wanted to start a family in 4 years, for sure get a pup now, but getting one a year before you pop out a crotchfruit? Terrible idea. Especially knowing the hours lawyers work, his poor wife will have to deal with both for most hours of the day, and the dogs going to get the shit end of the stick.

If you insist on getting one Shak, make sure it's a VERY low energy breed.
    We have a rescue Alaskan Husky. When we first got her, she was a wild animal (afraid of people, couldn't walk up or down stairs very well, wanted to be outside all the time) now she is the best dog ever. Having a well behaved dog around with young kids is a life saver. So much less to clean up off the floor. Definately don't have a puppy with young kids. Way too much effort

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Only because a dog can be similar in ways to a kid. They also make you realize that a lot of your time gets dedicated to them so doing some activities doesn't happen.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Also, from personal experience. Plan on never driving your GT-S ever again. Really, you should just sell it now if you are getting a dog.

If a baby is on the horizon within 24 months, I get that this is also an unpopular opinion but skip the dog. You will have enough on your plate.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Or skip the kids. Drive your dogs around in a Trackhawk. That's winning.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 05-17-2021 at 08:21 AM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

So this is another topic, I would like to broach. Is getting a dog when we are trying to start a family really a bad idea? This is something my wife and I have discussed several times. Of course I will help and do as much as I can, but is it a 'bad idea' just from the context of the amount of work involved or there any other considerations at play here? Example, compatibility of the dog with the baby and vice versa? If it is just about the extra work involved, then I am not fully dissuaded by it, but I am certainly concerned about what other factors that might be at play here.

I don't personally care if it is CKC registered or not, I just did not understand the difference and wanted to make sure it's not something that's important for one reason or another. I will do some research on the rescue side of things as well, because if we can bring one home and give it a new family, then by all means I would like to do that. We are pretty decided on Havanese though, having researched about them a lot, we feel it would be the ideal breed for our lifestyle due to the mannerisms and traits described.

I have messaged over 8 CKC registered breeders who deal with Havanese, but they are all 'out' and have a waiting list for 2+ years. Their prices are around $2500-$3000 range and the one I liked at the website posted above is around $3300 even though it's not CKC registered. Thanks for all the valuable input guys, ultimately this is going to determine if we feel it is the right time for us to add a dog to our family or not.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 05-17-2021 at 08:17 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You are getting a toy dog?

Well at least that cuts down on the number of walls required.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    So this is another topic, I would like to broach. Is getting a dog when we are trying to start a family really a bad idea? This is something my wife and I have discussed several times. Of course I will help and do as much as I can, but is it a 'bad idea' just from the context of the amount of work involved or there any other considerations at play here? Example, compatibility of the dog with the baby and vice versa? If it is just about the extra work involved, then I am not fully dissuaded by it, but I am certainly concerned about what other factors that might be at play here.

I don't personally care if it is CKC registered or not, I just did not understand the difference and wanted to make sure it's not something that's important for one reason or another. I will do some research on the rescue side of things as well, because if we can bring one home and give it a new family, then by all means I would like to do that. We are pretty decided on Havanese though, having researched about them a lot, we feel it would be the ideal breed for our lifestyle due to the mannerisms and traits described.

I have messaged over 8 CKC registered breeders who deal with Havanese, but they are all 'out' and have a waiting list for 2+ years. Their prices are around $2500-$3000 range and the one I liked at the website posted above is around $3300 even though it's not CKC registered. Thanks for all the valuable input guys, ultimately this is going to determine if we feel it is the right time for us to add a dog to our family or not.
    You have two situations..

One you get the dog before the kid and then the dog gets neglected and starts misbehaving and becomes a problem

Two you get the dog just after having the kid and the dog gets neglected and starts misbehaving and becomes a problem

See what I am getting at? Dogs can feel left out and neglected and is a main reason why a lot of people give back dogs when having kids.

Have the kid and focus on the kid and after a year re-think your strategy and see if your schedule and time allows for a dog.

My Ride
    ute

The question is:

Do you get a rescue dog and a registered kid?

OR

Do you get a rescue kid and a registered dog?

My Ride

Have the kid now, and get the dog when the kid is around 4 or 5. Especially if you only want one kid.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I think getting a dog before kids is a great opportunity to test your discipline skills as a relationship. Having consistency between parents is really important whether it's a dog or kid.

However having a young dog while having kids would be a pain. Do you have someone that would baby sit the dog at short notice? If you guys run to the hospital asap for the kid you gotta be mindful of the dog. And when the kids are born are you going to be burnt out that first 6 months when the kids won't sleep much but you still have keep taking the dog out?

Once the dog is a couple years old it's pretty minimal effort to take care of but that first year or two takes more time and effort so depends on your timeline I guess.

Getting a dog once the kids are a few years old might be better because you can also teach the kid responsibilities.

My Ride
    This and that.

We are expecting a kid in January, granted everything goes well, I thought a puppy born now will be close to year old by then and used to the surroundings etc. I don't think I would ignore it because there's a baby, but I can see how it can be a lot of work. So this definitely has me double minded again. The wife and I had this conversation and she is also concerned about it, but I assured her I would do all the taking care part with the doggo. If we do go this route, my wife wants a small lap dog that can be in the house at all times. Research suggested that Havanese are a type that are very low energy and just love chilling which I think would not involve THAT much work....

I've wanted to have one for the longest time but when we were in the condo the timing didn't seem right and now other things are causing potential obstructions to the plan...so perhaps it's still not the right time. I definitely do not want to be in a situation where we have to give away the dog or it feels neglected/lonely, or otherwise unsafe towards a child etc.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 05-17-2021 at 08:41 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

She’s pregnant?

DO NOT GET THE DOG

Aside from that, congrats. Also you should sell the GTS lmao

fact.

My Ride
    Silverado

DO NOT GET THE DOG
    seriously. Your life is about to fundamentally change. 9 months with a puppy is not a test and is not going to prepare you for a baby. After the baby, the dog is an annoyance at best.

Also congrats.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 05-17-2021 at 08:45 AM.

My Ride
    ute

How old are you Shak?

My Ride
    This and that.

35 in a couple of months.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast