Quantcast
lets talk 3 bean salad recipes because my doctor is an ass - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: lets talk 3 bean salad recipes because my doctor is an ass

My Ride
    ute

Default lets talk 3 bean salad recipes because my doctor is an ass

"blah blah blah high cholesterol blah blah blah lifestyle and diet blah blah blah"

I'm not traditionally a fatty, but covid has been unkind. And time marches on. So now apparently, I'm a middle aged fatty who is at "moderate risk".

I'm going to reduce things in my diet that rhyme with bread, and pasta and starch.

I like three bean salads and my friend swears by them as a healthy food to have in the fridge.

so...on that note....what recipes do you guys use?

Eat less. Buy a food scale. Weigh your food, or look at the nutrition facts.

Eating out can be tough. A burger and fries can be anywhere from 1000-3000 calories.

Dunno how tall you are, but at 1500 cals/day I lose around 1kg/week. 1800 is maintenance for me. I'm 5'11 and Asian, the latter part means I have to eat less (yes, whiteys can eat a bit more).

Use MyFitnessPal to log your calories and activities. Use a HRM to track your physical activity. Walking consumes very few calories BTW.

I lost over 50 lbs doing this, and I'm so freaking fit now that I got a discount on my life insurance because my blood work and BP were excellent.

You will have to budget your calories. Want something sweet? Okay, that's 200 cals off or you're gonna have to run for 20 mins.

Everyday you must eat fruit, veggies and get your fiber. Oatmeal, watermelon, oranges, apples, etc are your friends. We're old so you gotta have the fiber. Shredded Wheat, whole grain bread.
    Last edited by suntan; 05-17-2021 at 10:35 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eat less. Buy a food scale. Weigh your food, or look at the nutrition facts.

Eating out can be tough. A burger and fries can be anywhere from 1000-3000 calories.

Dunno how tall you are, but at 1500 cals/day I lose around 1kg/week. 1800 is maintenance for me. I'm 5'11 and Asian, the latter part means I have to eat less (yes, whiteys can eat a bit more).

Use MyFitnessPal to log your calories and activities. Use a HRM to track your physical activity. Walking consumes very few calories BTW.

I lost over 50 lbs doing this, and I'm so freaking fit now that I got a discount on my life insurance because my blood work and BP were excellent.
    great advice. I thought the benefit of walking was not so much cal burn as much as increasing your heart rate, etc.

I'm just under six feet, but when I am very fit I'm at about 205lbs or so. Built like a linebacker. My maintenance calories when I'm fit is over 2000 for sure.

My Ride
    Silverado

I should really do the same. Fucking beer is killing me. Didn't know there was a good bean salad in existence.

Increased HR is directly correlated to calories burned. It increases oxygen usage which means your body is burning fuel.

Try a brisk walk.

This is when not having gyms open sucks.

Beans are great but I realize many Caucasians have serious problems when consuming them. I recommend oatmeal because eating it regularly will materially lower your bad cholesterol without the farting.

Oh yeah, get Benefiber. Unlike Metamucil it won't change the consistency of your drink. Put a teaspoon in your coffee.
    Last edited by suntan; 05-17-2021 at 10:42 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

MFP is a great tool for being honest with your self.

I have no bean salad advice. But my nutritionist swears on black beans as being the holy grail when we have the cholesterol discussion.

Black bean and poultry ( roast chicken or Turkey ) chilis are easy and delicious. Brazilian feijoada variations ( cut the saturated fats you stick in this for the cholesterol discussion ).

Basically black beans are great in stews over white rice. Not rocket science just put what you like in it.

Tasty shit.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Cholesterol isn't all it's hyped up to be, it's less of an issue with carbs removed from the diet
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    MFP is a great tool for being honest with your self.

I have no bean salad advice. But my nutritionist swears on black beans as being the holy grail when we have the cholesterol discussion.

Black bean and poultry ( roast chicken or Turkey ) chilis are easy and delicious. Brazilian feijoada variations ( cut the saturated fats you stick in this for the cholesterol discussion ).

Basically black beans are great in stews over white rice. Not rocket science just put what you like in it.

Tasty shit.
    I've never heard of that brazilian thing, but a quick google looks tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Cholesterol isn't all it's hyped up to be, it's less of an issue with carbs removed from the diet
    If you have high cholesterol it's basically 100% genetic.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I've never heard of that brazilian thing, but a quick google looks tasty.
    It’s very tasty

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

There has to be an E-bike purchase joke in here somewhere....

But in all seriousness I've realized stress plays a massive role in packing on the lbs as well.
    Especially in my case.

Have you considered smoothies in lieu of a meal? you can pack them full of fruit/ veggies/ protein and are very easy to digest.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I had a cousin who decided to become a vegetarian; starting eating a ton of beans “because healthy” ...she got fat

Ride your shiny new bikes more, give yourself dedicated eating windows... snacking is the killer, healthy food is BS, take a multivitamin and eat whatever you want within reason

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Calorie control is definitely the number one. I don’t think there is any debate there.

But beans are a great way to get protein in without the cholesterol content of most protein alternatives.

fact.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Just center your diet around high meat, high natural fats (like butter and don't commit the sacrilege of trimming the fat off your steaks), greens and moderate starches (potatoes), get some heavy resistance training in and some moderate cardio and you'll be golden.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    great advice. I thought the benefit of walking was not so much cal burn as much as increasing your heart rate, etc.

I'm just under six feet, but when I am very fit I'm at about 205lbs or so. Built like a linebacker. My maintenance calories when I'm fit is over 2000 for sure.
    But that's when you were fit. Muscle is more metabolic (I think that's the verb?) than fat, which means the more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolism is. If you used to be fit but have since replaced that muscle with fat (ie. maybe same weight, but softer), your calorie maintenance goal is probably lower than 2000 at this point.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I had a cousin who decided to become a vegetarian; starting eating a ton of beans “because healthy” ...she got fat

Ride your shiny new bikes more, give yourself dedicated eating windows... snacking is the killer, healthy food is BS, take a multivitamin and eat whatever you want within reason
    I worked with someone that ate a salad for lunch everyday, she used about a 1/2 cup of oil, complained that she wasn't losing weight...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

87% of salads are garbage nutritionally.

fact.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Oh yeah, get Benefiber. Unlike Metamucil it won't change the consistency of your drink. Put a teaspoon in your coffee.
    I can't stand benefiber. I can tolerate Meta.

Another cheap source of fibre is Air popped popcorn (if you can stand the smell). Has the benefit of filling you up.

A brisk walk isn't enough.

I'm 5'10" and am sitting at 165lbs. Beginning of 2018, I was 210. I've been as low as 160 after taking a massive morning shit.

If you want any sort of fitness, you need to get your heart rate to 90-95% of your max heart rate. The last lock down I did online workouts. Thought I was doing good keeping my cardio going. Got back in the gym and nearly threw up the first workout because I was so out of shape. This lock down is doing more of the same. fucking covid.

Fuck it, gonna play hookie from work and do a tour of Nose hill right now.

Take your e-bike.

Put it on eco.

Go up hills in fifth gear.

Try starting couch to 5K as well, if you think running is up your alley.

Again though, diet will be your most important thing. When I do my bike to work and back, it's 50km. It burns about 1300 cals total. That's 100 min of cycling, if which about 20 min is uphill. You do the math.

My usual 5K run is 27 min, it burns all of 320 cals these days.
    Last edited by suntan; 05-17-2021 at 11:01 AM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I can't stand benefiber. I can tolerate Meta.

Another cheap source of fibre is Air popped popcorn (if you can stand the smell). Has the benefit of filling you up.

A brisk walk isn't enough.

I'm 5'10" and am sitting at 165lbs. Beginning of 2018, I was 210. I've been as low as 160 after taking a massive morning shit.

If you want any sort of fitness, you need to get your heart rate to 90-95 of your max heart rate. The last lock down I did online workouts. Thought I was doing good keeping my cardio going. Got back in the gym and nearly threw up the first workout because I was so out of shape. This lock down is doing more of the same. fucking covid.
    90-95% of max heart rate? That is crazy. You should be able to get a decent caloric burn rate at anything above 65%. Prolonged time in that 90%+ range is probably going to make your heart explode for anyone who isn't already in good shape.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast