Quantcast
Origins of the coronavirus - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Where did the coronavirus come from?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zoonotic (natural from animals)

    19 17.12%
  • Lab Leak

    86 77.48%
  • Other

    6 5.41%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80

Thread: Origins of the coronavirus

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Origins of the coronavirus

    Curious what everyone thinks regarding the origins of sars-cov-2, especially with the lab leak theory becoming more mainstream now. So what do you think beyond, was it a natural zoonotic origin or was this a lab leak?

    If you havenít heard much of the lab leak theory, hereís an excellent in-depth article about it
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/arti...pe-theory.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cochrane, AB
    My Ride
    Trucks
    Posts
    1,637
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    If you consider that you can’t believe a single god damn thing that China tells anybody, the choice is easy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Tiny hands on a tiny keyboard
    Posts
    9,458
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I've been sitting here trying to think what credible agency I would believe on this topic if they came out with an authoritative report. And I've failed.

    Probably, origin doesn't matter. If it's China there's literally nothing anyone can do, they are the most powerful country in the world right now.
    If it's natural, then, also, nothing you can do.
    ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,631
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been sitting here trying to think what credible agency I would believe on this topic if they came out with an authoritative report. And I've failed.

    Probably, origin doesn't matter. If it's China there's literally nothing anyone can do, they are the most powerful country in the world right now.
    If it's natural, then, also, nothing you can do.
    WW3 bitches. Woot

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Where is the "weaponized" option?

    Arguably IMO coronavirus is partially what did Trump in. So they effectively got rid of the person who did them the most harm, and simultaneously weakened America further.

    A price CCP would be all too willing to pay with the hit to its own citizens and economy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    3,015
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I think South Park was on to something in the pandemic special.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    1,771
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think South Park was on to something in the pandemic special.
    Beat me to it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,813
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been sitting here trying to think what credible agency I would believe on this topic if they came out with an authoritative report. And I've failed.

    Probably, origin doesn't matter. If it's China there's literally nothing anyone can do, they are the most powerful country in the world right now.
    If it's natural, then, also, nothing you can do.
    I don’t buy this whole “there is nothing we can do” about China bit. Maybe there is some discomfort involved, but I disagree that there is nothing that can be done.

    I also think the tide of public sentiment has been turning on this such that we will see more of a change going forward.

    Basically China is a POS country and I think a lot of people and corporations are getting a bit embarrassed of how far in bed we are with them.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    901
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where is the "weaponized" option?

    Arguably IMO coronavirus is partially what did Trump in. So they effectively got rid of the person who did them the most harm, and simultaneously weakened America further.

    A price CCP would be all too willing to pay with the hit to its own citizens and economy.
    According to one of my Chinese employees, getting vaccinated there is optional.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Tiny hands on a tiny keyboard
    Posts
    9,458
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t buy this whole “there is nothing we can do” about China bit. Maybe there is some discomfort involved, but I disagree that there is nothing that can be done.

    I also think the tide of public sentiment has been turning on this such that we will see more of a change going forward.

    Basically China is a POS country and I think a lot of people and corporations are getting a bit embarrassed of how far in bed we are with them.
    I agree we are "very far in bed with them". The question is, what can be done, how much does that hurt us, and does it hurt them even a little bit?
    I think the pain of any economic action against China by Canada is disproportionately felt in Canada.
    ...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,696
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    It would have to be a worldwide action, which would inevitably fail. People love their savings.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The AHS system is quite good.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,813
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    If there is one good outcome we are likely to see from climate hysteria, it’s likely expanding boycotts of Chinese goods and services.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,775
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    China is a global leader in environmental stewardship and the green transition /s

    Regarding OP. It was Chinas fault in either case. Poor safety in food handling or poor safety in virus handling. China is gross

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,738
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Didn’t it come from the Winnipeg lab?!

    But seriously as bossman @ExtraSlow said, it doesn’t matter.

    It rolled the planet, did its shitty thing snd we’re finally on the other side.

    That said, I’m worried about the fallout. That’s the issue with corona.

    For example: inflation, real estate bubble, permanent WFH dreamers, secondary illness(?), yada yada yada.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    It does actually matter because society can take steps to reduce the risk of it happening again. I come from an IT background so this is a great analogy for me - Shit goes wrong, the #1 focus is to fix it and get everything working again. After things are stable, you do a root cause analysis and put in controls to try and prevent it from happening again.

    If somehow we knew 100% that this was zoonotic then it would be a much different set of next steps than if it was a 100% confirmed lab leak. I.e. close / limit wet markets vs improve controls in labs, especially ones that research gain of function in viruses.

    I agree with some of the above posts that there is a silver lining in all this to make people realize how shitty the CCP is. I always laugh at their propaganda articles. This one as a rebuttal to the lab leak stuff is hilarious:
    https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202105/1224585.shtml

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,631
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one good outcome we are likely to see from climate hysteria, it’s likely expanding boycotts of Chinese goods and services.
    80% of rare earth is from China.

    80% of solar panel is from China.

    Green basically turn China into Saudi of post oil economy. It's by design. That's why they were pushing EV so hard. And now they are pushing Hydrogen after buying most of the IPs around the world including Burnaby's Ballard.

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to one of my Chinese employees, getting vaccinated there is optional.
    They also have shortage. Guongzhou is in deep shit right now and there isn't enough to distribute. They are doing mass testing again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For example: inflation, real estate bubble, permanent WFH dreamers, secondary illness(?), yada yada yada.
    The continue rhetoric has only 1 end game. WW3. Watch US depeg HKD to USD. That's when it starts.

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where is the "weaponized" option?

    Arguably IMO coronavirus is partially what did Trump in. So they effectively got rid of the person who did them the most harm, and simultaneously weakened America further.

    A price CCP would be all too willing to pay with the hit to its own citizens and economy.
    Trump shine the light but also went against the generals who came up with TPP. TPP would have been a great non military option against China. 4 years of Trump later, I don't think there is any non-military options left. The hope of coming up with a single economic unit that can rival China's still doesn't exist.

    We will not be able to out compete China since we have human rights and environmental policies.

    To fight China, we have to undo all the rights and freedom we have enjoyed so far.

    Or just be like John Cena
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-29-2021 at 10:17 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,631
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Also, depegging USD with HKD will only work for may be another 2-3 years IMHO. Don't think the world has a problem switching to yuan in about a decade out.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,203
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    The continue rhetoric has only 1 end game. WW3. Watch US depeg HKD to USD. That's when it starts.



    Trump shine the light but also went against the generals who came up with TPP. TPP would have been a great non military option against China. 4 years of Trump later, I don't think there is any non-military options left. The hope of coming up with a single economic unit that can rival China's still doesn't exist.
    Naw... Once the western world has everyone standardized onto regular vaccines every year the US is going to pre-vaccinate the western world and then release a biological weapon of their own which decimates China and her allies while the rest of the US and her allies are already fully protected turning the power back around without firing a shot!

    It's my long game conspiracy theory currently under creation! hahaha!
    Bob Blakeborough

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    3,015
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Close wet markets? Lol good luck w that.

    The only way to successfully do that is with a nuke.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    a van down by the river
    Posts
    1,889
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    It origins are when a bat fucked a chicken and then Chinese dude fucked that chicken and boom covid was born…

    Or it was a lab …
    I am not sure what is going to change

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is The Coronavirus Impacting Your Travel Decisions?

    By freshprince1 in forum Travel and Vacation
    Replies: 1422
    Latest Threads: Today, 01:42 PM
  2. Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

    By Xtrema in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 16102
    Latest Threads: Yesterday, 09:01 PM
  3. 2020 F1 and Coronavirus

    By Xtrema in forum Formula 1
    Replies: 617
    Latest Threads: 01-18-2021, 12:39 PM
  4. Coronavirus vs Investing

    By 2BLUE in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 1151
    Latest Threads: 01-05-2021, 05:30 PM
  5. Can we get a Coronavirus sub-forum?

    By ExtraSlow in forum Suggestion/Comment Box/Forum Related Stuff
    Replies: 52
    Latest Threads: 11-02-2020, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •