Quantcast
Origins of the coronavirus - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Where did the coronavirus come from?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zoonotic (natural from animals)

25 17.12%
  • Lab Leak

115 78.77%
  • Other

6 4.11%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins of the coronavirus

Default Origins of the coronavirus

Curious what everyone thinks regarding the origins of sars-cov-2, especially with the lab leak theory becoming more mainstream now. So what do you think beyond, was it a natural zoonotic origin or was this a lab leak?

If you haven’t heard much of the lab leak theory, here’s an excellent in-depth article about it
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/arti...pe-theory.html

My Ride
    Trucks

If you consider that you can’t believe a single god damn thing that China tells anybody, the choice is easy.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've been sitting here trying to think what credible agency I would believe on this topic if they came out with an authoritative report. And I've failed.

Probably, origin doesn't matter. If it's China there's literally nothing anyone can do, they are the most powerful country in the world right now.
    If it's natural, then, also, nothing you can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I've been sitting here trying to think what credible agency I would believe on this topic if they came out with an authoritative report. And I've failed.

Probably, origin doesn't matter. If it's China there's literally nothing anyone can do, they are the most powerful country in the world right now.
    WW3 bitches. Woot

Where is the "weaponized" option?

Arguably IMO coronavirus is partially what did Trump in. So they effectively got rid of the person who did them the most harm, and simultaneously weakened America further.

A price CCP would be all too willing to pay with the hit to its own citizens and economy.

My Ride
    V8s

I think South Park was on to something in the pandemic special.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I think South Park was on to something in the pandemic special.
    Beat me to it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

I don’t buy this whole “there is nothing we can do” about China bit. Maybe there is some discomfort involved, but I disagree that there is nothing that can be done.

I also think the tide of public sentiment has been turning on this such that we will see more of a change going forward.

Basically China is a POS country and I think a lot of people and corporations are getting a bit embarrassed of how far in bed we are with them.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post

Arguably IMO coronavirus is partially what did Trump in. So they effectively got rid of the person who did them the most harm, and simultaneously weakened America further.

A price CCP would be all too willing to pay with the hit to its own citizens and economy.
    According to one of my Chinese employees, getting vaccinated there is optional.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don’t buy this whole “there is nothing we can do” about China bit. Maybe there is some discomfort involved, but I disagree that there is nothing that can be done.

I also think the tide of public sentiment has been turning on this such that we will see more of a change going forward.

Basically China is a POS country and I think a lot of people and corporations are getting a bit embarrassed of how far in bed we are with them.
    I agree we are "very far in bed with them". The question is, what can be done, how much does that hurt us, and does it hurt them even a little bit?
    I think the pain of any economic action against China by Canada is disproportionately felt in Canada.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It would have to be a worldwide action, which would inevitably fail. People love their savings.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If there is one good outcome we are likely to see from climate hysteria, it’s likely expanding boycotts of Chinese goods and services.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

China is a global leader in environmental stewardship and the green transition /s

Regarding OP. It was Chinas fault in either case. Poor safety in food handling or poor safety in virus handling. China is gross

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Didn’t it come from the Winnipeg lab?!

But seriously as bossman @ExtraSlow said, it doesn’t matter.

It rolled the planet, did its shitty thing snd we’re finally on the other side.

That said, I’m worried about the fallout. That’s the issue with corona.

For example: inflation, real estate bubble, permanent WFH dreamers, secondary illness(?), yada yada yada.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

It does actually matter because society can take steps to reduce the risk of it happening again. I come from an IT background so this is a great analogy for me - Shit goes wrong, the #1 focus is to fix it and get everything working again. After things are stable, you do a root cause analysis and put in controls to try and prevent it from happening again.

If somehow we knew 100% that this was zoonotic then it would be a much different set of next steps than if it was a 100% confirmed lab leak. I.e. close / limit wet markets vs improve controls in labs, especially ones that research gain of function in viruses.

I agree with some of the above posts that there is a silver lining in all this to make people realize how shitty the CCP is. I always laugh at their propaganda articles. This one as a rebuttal to the lab leak stuff is hilarious:
    https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202105/1224585.shtml

My Ride
    Bicycle

If there is one good outcome we are likely to see from climate hysteria, it’s likely expanding boycotts of Chinese goods and services.
    80% of rare earth is from China.

80% of solar panel is from China.

Green basically turn China into Saudi of post oil economy. It's by design. That's why they were pushing EV so hard. And now they are pushing Hydrogen after buying most of the IPs around the world including Burnaby's Ballard.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    According to one of my Chinese employees, getting vaccinated there is optional.
    They also have shortage. Guongzhou is in deep shit right now and there isn't enough to distribute. They are doing mass testing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    For example: inflation, real estate bubble, permanent WFH dreamers, secondary illness(?), yada yada yada.
    The continue rhetoric has only 1 end game. WW3. Watch US depeg HKD to USD. That's when it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post

Trump shine the light but also went against the generals who came up with TPP. TPP would have been a great non military option against China. 4 years of Trump later, I don't think there is any non-military options left. The hope of coming up with a single economic unit that can rival China's still doesn't exist.

We will not be able to out compete China since we have human rights and environmental policies.

To fight China, we have to undo all the rights and freedom we have enjoyed so far.

Or just be like John Cena
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-29-2021 at 10:17 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Also, depegging USD with HKD will only work for may be another 2-3 years IMHO. Don't think the world has a problem switching to yuan in about a decade out.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

The continue rhetoric has only 1 end game. WW3. Watch US depeg HKD to USD. That's when it starts.

Trump shine the light but also went against the generals who came up with TPP. TPP would have been a great non military option against China. 4 years of Trump later, I don't think there is any non-military options left. The hope of coming up with a single economic unit that can rival China's still doesn't exist.
    Naw... Once the western world has everyone standardized onto regular vaccines every year the US is going to pre-vaccinate the western world and then release a biological weapon of their own which decimates China and her allies while the rest of the US and her allies are already fully protected turning the power back around without firing a shot!

It's my long game conspiracy theory currently under creation! hahaha!

My Ride
    V8s

Close wet markets? Lol good luck w that.

The only way to successfully do that is with a nuke.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

It origins are when a bat fucked a chicken and then Chinese dude fucked that chicken and boom covid was born…

Or it was a lab …
    I am not sure what is going to change

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast