Help needed, I.T. firm for possibly emergency scenario - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help needed, I.T. firm for possibly emergency scenario

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Default Help needed, I.T. firm for possibly emergency scenario

Resolved.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 06-03-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

When you say its offline, do you mean its not able to be powered up and what type of server is this, dell, ibm etc? I think you need to give us more of an idea of what the issue is?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you say its offline, do you mean its not able to be powered up and what type of server is this, dell, ibm etc? I think you need to give us more of an idea of what the issue is?
    He isn't asking for help to do it. He needs someone to just come and fix it.

A server is a server and anyone whose worked with servers should be able to help and I hope someone from here reaches out.

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

I've heard from a few of you, thank you for reaching out. We were able to get things up & running again this morning but moving forward we'll need to source a new vendor for our I.T. needs. How do you replace someone who has taken care of everything since the days of an Atari 400 & a Vic 20?

Be kind to your loved ones Beyond.

Sorry to hear the news. Never easy to hear about someone you know passing but especially worse when you depend on them for your business. Good luck finding someone.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've heard from a few of you, thank you for reaching out. We were able to get things up & running again this morning but moving forward we'll need to source a new vendor for our I.T. needs. How do you replace someone who has taken care of everything since the days of an Atari 400 & a Vic 20?

Be kind to your loved ones Beyond.
    Any one who is good can come into a situation and evaluate and get things going again. Then its just maintenance from there.

I am not sure how busy they are but I used to work for this guy and he's really good https://www.metacyne.com/

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

It was a power outage, pretty sure the whole building was affected (I'm on the first floor). We were aware of an issue as early as 8:30 pm last night but didn't know the extent until this morning, when everything in our office was shut off. I would guess the power dropped between 5 (when I left) and 6 pm, otherwise battery back ups would've still had everything running until about 8:30.

Our unit trips a circuit breaker pretty regularly (we share a circuit with the adjacent unit for some reason) and this building was not designed for the high electrical loads it sees from some of the units, so keep that in mind when planning your back up systems (file systems as well as power systems).

There was also a pretty major failure sometime in the last couple of months that possibly damaged some of your battery backups.

Whoever you get to replace your current IT provider should know about the issues that occur in this building and area so they can plan for them appropriately.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 98brg2d View Post
    It was a power outage, pretty sure the whole building was affected (I'm on the first floor). We were aware of an issue as early as 8:30 pm last night but didn't know the extent until this morning, when everything in our office was shut off. I would guess the power dropped between 5 (when I left) and 6 pm, otherwise battery back ups would've still had everything running until about 8:30.

Our unit trips a circuit breaker pretty regularly (we share a circuit with the adjacent unit for some reason) and this building was not designed for the high electrical loads it sees from some of the units, so keep that in mind when planning your back up systems (file systems as well as power systems).

There was also a pretty major failure sometime in the last couple of months that possibly damaged some of your battery backups.

Whoever you get to replace your current IT provider should know about the issues that occur in this building and area so they can plan for them appropriately.
    As in, you're here in the same building as me (251)? Small world! We talked to the guy that looks after the building this morning and he said it was a transformer that blew, power was out from 6:15ish (I was here when it happened) until about 02:00. I don't think a UPS was ever designed to run that long...lol.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

UPS should be designed to run long enough to allow a server to be powered down in an orderly and non-damaging fashion though, right? That my assumption.

as for companies that can help, there are many, and maybe there's a value in a company with >2 employees so you have a bit of redundancy of personel as well. My work uses ismart consulting and they've been good. We have some servers etc in three locations, and it all seems to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

As in, you're here in the same building as me (251)? Small world! We talked to the guy that looks after the building this morning and he said it was a transformer that blew, power was out from 6:15ish (I was here when it happened) until about 02:00. I don't think a UPS was ever designed to run that long...lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    UPS should be designed to run long enough to allow a server to be powered down in an orderly and non-damaging fashion though, right? That my assumption.

as for companies that can help, there are many, and maybe there's a value in a company with >2 employees so you have a bit of redundancy of personel as well. My work uses ismart consulting and they've been good. We have some servers etc in three locations, and it all seems to work.
    A good UPS should do 1 of 2 things..

1) Send out an alert that there is no feed power
    2) Allow systems to power down and if it can't then the IT person should be able to remote in and shut down systems properly

Industrial UPS' will run as long as you size the battery bank for...

But $$$.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Yeah, I'm in 130. I'm the blue or grey (depending on the day) legacy wagon that parks beside the orange Soul.

Checkout MPI Designs, good IT firm and is local.