Quantcast
talk to me about hot tubs - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: talk to me about hot tubs

My Ride
    G05

Trevi actually bought Dynasty so I guess it’s the same thing?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Dynasty was the greasiest place I've ever been to, and I ate a burger made with 100yo grease in Memphis.

Paradise Bay (Arctic Spas), has the most helpful, useful, and genuinely friendly staff of the dozen places we went when we looked for ours. We bought a Clearwater through them and were pretty happy with 9 years of ownership, but they no longer sell that brand.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 01-03-2022 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    We are looking to get a hot tub. Do you guys have any recommendations on where and brand?

Ie. Vita Spa, Hot Springs, Master Spa, Trevi spas?

Thanks!
    @s2k_boi
    We have a Vita Spa we purchased from RNR about a year ago. Service / delivery was great and so far the tub has been good.
    Removable panels for easy access, and well insulated steel framed tub. No complaints, but far from an expert. Their 'spa school' was a nice touch to educate on chemicals, etc.

My Ride
    G05

Down to Probably Arctic Spa and Master Spa. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    Down to Probably Arctic Spa and Master Spa. Thoughts?
    arctic spa hot tubs are shallow. Hold very little water. One of their larger units is 95"x95" yet holds less water than most of their competitors tubs that can be 8" shorter. In some cases they hold 600 to 700 litees less which is a pretty big deal.

Have you sat in the arctic tub? Notice your knees in your chest? It's from their huge bases that are 6 inches high that give the illusion that the tub is large/deep but their actually really shallow.

What sort of timelines did both companies give you on hot tubs?

My Ride
    G05

I did sit in it and you’re right that the knees are more into your chest. I don’t need it till summer and both dealers are good with working with that.

Only reason the Arctic was on the list is that a lot of people seem to recommend it and highly rated for Canadian weather. The 7x7 master spa holds 1514 litres and Arctics shy of 8x8 holds exactly the same. Opened to 7x7 or max 8x8 options.

kinda crazy how the arctic is 12 inches bigger yet holds the same amount as a competitors 7x7.

People do seem to love their arctic spas but from a value vs cost comparison I find your paying a premium for a lesser quality tub. If it wasn't for spay boy arctic wouldn't sell any hot tubs at all.

It's good to plan ahead now as I'm sure their going to be hard to find again this year. Take whatever estimate your given and add 2 or 3 months as I'm sure omicrons going to cause more issues on the manufacturing side.

I just bought a poor man’s hot tub (inflatable) so looking into maintaining the water.

Can anyone recommend a place to get high quality test strips for a hot tub and also someone I can talk to about other chemicals to maintain water quality? I’m checking Amazon but a lot of reviews on different brands say they are inaccurate so I want a quality brand. I know there is world of spas but ideally looking for a place in the north.

My Ride
    V8s

Get a ph test kit, and use bromine. No other chemicals. The ppl at the hot tub store will sell you 6 different things, and you don’t need any of them.

Just bromine.

There is no difference with test strips. I’ve used them all and they all work the same.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Hot tubs are my favourite asset class.
    I like neat cars.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I just bought a poor man’s hot tub (inflatable) so looking into maintaining the water.

Can anyone recommend a place to get high quality test strips for a hot tub and also someone I can talk to about other chemicals to maintain water quality? I’m checking Amazon but a lot of reviews on different brands say they are inaccurate so I want a quality brand. I know there is world of spas but ideally looking for a place in the north.
    did you buy the one from Costco?

For a soft water tub you really don't need much. Test kit, sanitizer and your ph +/alkalinity.

If I owned a smaller style tub I'd probably drain more often and use less ph or alkalinity increaser.

Just avoid the walmart test kits or big box stores chemicals. Their cheaper for a reason they suck.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

The hot tub purists will say get a Taylor test kit. Personally I use decent test strips, and they're good enough.
    I use these:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you put sunscreen on the kids before use I highly recommend a zorbie. Was a life changer last summer.

Basically skims oils off the top of the spa and stops them from overwhelming your filtration because they take a ton of effort to break down.

Toss it every couple months.

That and chlorine granules. Chlorine basically fixed all sins within reason haha.

I usually don’t chlorinate because I have a salt tub. But last year with three couples with kids using it for 4 days. I chlorinated it every night which kept it spotless.

Obviously chlorine doesn’t apply to a bromine spa. But you get the idea.

I buy shit from Amazon. But I’m antisocial like that. The people at the hot tub stores are way too chatty.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-29-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

The salespeople at hot tub stores are remarkably similar to those at mattress stores.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    The hot tub purists will say get a Taylor test kit. Personally I use decent test strips, and they're good enough.
    I use these:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Hey I’ve bought those too.

Yeah I got the inflatable Saluspa Palm Springs from Costco for 580. Not bad for what it is. Gets up to 40* C off a 110V (even tho it took a whole day to do it). Fits 900L of water and Has a filtration system too. Just wanted something warm for kids cuz last summer with the kiddie pool was annoying.

Ended up going to world of spas since everything else was closed Sunday. Got bromine tablets, test strips, and ph down as he told me usually need to adjust down instead of up. So far it seemed true (first test strip was around 8.1) but I guess I’ll buy ph up if needed. Didn’t add any yet as I want to see what if anything the bromine does.

That zorbie sounds interesting to help skim the top from sunscreen and oils. Has really good reviews too. Just ordered one on Amazon.

Thx for tips all

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Highly unlikely you will need ph up in alberta
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Agree. Needed sodium bisulfate to drop the pH to 7.6. Comes right from the treatment plant at 8.05. The rest of my numbers were wonky until I got the pH to drop in line. Now I have the water chemistry dialed right in.

I also have that zorbie thing floating around.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    that's because your on a salt(chlorine] system that requires ph minus. Everyone else needs ph up.

For example sabad is using bromine.The more bromine he adds the lower his ph will go. The base ph is lower in bromine than other products. Also anyone using the floating disc's will use more ph+ or alkalinity +.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast