Quantcast
GTC4Lusso - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GTC4Lusso

Default GTC4Lusso

Hi all,

So I'm going to be in the market for my first exotic/supercar soon (hopefully within 2-3 months, unless my circumstances change unexpectedly). I've had my eyes set on the GTC4Lusso for quite some time now. Why, do you ask? Well, it fits the following criteria quite well:

1) Screaming NA V12, especially once it's fitted with the Novitec exhaust
    2) 4 seats
    3) AWD (mostly)
    4) Most practical exotic.. I think?

I was hoping some of you would be able to answer some of my questions, and possibly provide some insight as well. Here are some of the questions I've come up with so far:

- Who should I approach to inquire about the car? To be more specific, should I go to the dealership, or should I contact a private dealer such as Kulu, Pfaff, etc?
    - Have you or anyone you know ever owned a Ferrari? What has your/their experience been like?
    - Any known issues? I've been over to the Ferrari boards, and I've seen people bring up two major issues: the PTU, and the lift pump. Anything else I should be aware of?
    - Any other cars I should be considering that fit the criteria above?
    - Can anyone recommend a trustworthy, honest indie shop/mechanic? My plan is to own this car for as long as possible (with and without warranty). It will mostly be a weekend car.
    - Anything specific I should check for during pre and post purchase?

Looking forward to your responses, thanks!

My Ride
    *The First*

You're most likely going to the dealer and I assume you're not buying new.
    I'm not sure I would step into that expensive of a Ferrari for a first one. Why not consider an FF? What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're most likely going to the dealer and I assume you're not buying new.
    I'm not sure I would step into that expensive of a Ferrari for a first one. Why not consider an FF? What's your budget?
    The Lusso is discontinued, so yes, I'll be buying used. I'm just not sure if the Ferrari dealer is the right place to start. To be clear, I'm not a fan of the brand itself. I can do without the elitism and all the BS that comes with exotic car ownership. I just like the car.

As alluded to in the OP, budget won't be an issue unless my personal circumstances change in the near future. Judging by the prices on auto trader, I'm looking at anywhere from $280-370k (before tax and other fees). I'm still unsure as to whether this will be a cash purchase or finance. I'll figure that out once I get the details ironed out.

I don't want the FF for a few reasons:
    - It's older, feels dated compared to the Lusso
    - No manufacturer warranty for the FF. At least with the Lusso, I'll be covered for a year or two.
    - This one is personal, but the Lusso looks slightly better.
    Last edited by AltAcc; 06-04-2021 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Clarified about budget

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by AltAcc View Post
    The Lusso is discontinued, so yes, I'll be buying used. I'm just not sure if the Ferrari dealer is the right place to start. To be clear, I'm not a fan of the brand itself. I can do without the elitism and all the BS that comes with exotic car ownership. I just like the car.

As mentioned in the OP, budget won't be an issue unless my personal circumstances change in the near future. Judging by the prices on auto trader, I'm looking at anywhere from $280-370k (before tax and other fees). I'm still unsure as to whether this will be a cash purchase or finance. I'll figure that out once I get the details ironed out.

I don't want the FF for a few reasons:
    - It's older, feels dated compared to the Lusso
    - No manufacturer warranty for the FF. At least with the Lusso, I'll be covered for a year or two.
    - This one is personal, but the Lusso looks slightly better.
    Ok, well I don't think you specifically mentioned "budget won't be an issue" in the OP, but now you've clarified that you understand how horrifically expensive these cars are, so that's good.
    The importance of warranty better be the most confusingly important thing to you because this car may very well be the most depreciating car on the planet. Upwards of $50k/year in depreciation could cover a lot of repairs even on a V12 Ferrari. They have a warranty because they are confident they aren't going to have to pay it out.

And loud exhausts are for kids' Ferrari cars. This is the Gentleman's Ferrari.

Ok, well I don't think you specifically mentioned "budget won't be an issue" in the OP, but now you've clarified that you understand how horrifically expensive these cars are, so that's good.
    The importance of warranty better be the most confusingly important thing to you because this car may very well be the most depreciating car on the planet. Upwards of $50k/year in depreciation could cover a lot of repairs even on a V12 Ferrari. They have a warranty because they are confident they aren't going to have to pay it out.

And loud exhausts are for kids' Ferrari cars. This is the Gentleman's Ferrari.
    My apologies, I didn't mean to cause confusion. I should have been more clear in the OP. I've gone over the numbers in my head, and I have made peace with the fact that this purchase may very well become a money pit lol. Are you able to provide any insight into dealership experiences, any Ferrari related experiences having to do with ownership, or any other answers to questions in the OP? I appreciate any and all helpful responses.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you’re buying used, there’s no reason not to go to Kulu directly IMO. He will have more access to cars even ones not on the market, and the customer experience can’t even be compared.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If you’re buying used, there’s no reason not to go to Kulu directly IMO. He will have more access to cars even ones not on the market, and the customer experience can’t even be compared.
    This is a good start, thanks Rage. I assumed going private would be better. Judging by auto trader, there's not much of a local selection to pick from, so the vehicle will most likely have to be shipped in from another province. Would it be naive to say that Kulu > all other private dealers?

My Ride
    *The First*

My apologies, I didn't mean to cause confusion. I should have been more clear in the OP. I've gone over the numbers in my head, and I have made peace with the fact that this purchase may very well become a money pit lol. Are you able to provide any insight into dealership experiences, any Ferrari related experiences having to do with ownership, or any other answers to questions in the OP? I appreciate any and all helpful responses.
    My friends with these cars have found that the dealership basically has an expectation of about $10k/year in service. They don't prepare a work order and ask you what items you'd approve them to address. They take your keys, run up a bill and hand you that bill. Fluids as ridiculous as coolant, ATF and brake fluid may be called for annual replacement. Some 550 Maranello cars will literally be on their 5th timing belt with less than 50,000km on them.
    It's a service designed for the original buyer and if that person gave a shit about disposable income, they wouldn't have bought that car.

Now their new cars have shifted gears into a "free servicing" for something crazy like 7 years. I guarantee they won't be specifying annual ATF changes when they're the ones paying, LoL!

You can decide to fix it wherever you want, but you're losing some of the pedigree of ownership and that devalues your car. While that may matter less on a 20+ year old car that wasn't a flagship, it probably still does matter to reduce the exponential depreciation at the start of the curve. Like on a GTC.

Don't forget there's a V8 GTC as well.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

AltAcc, think hard about your decision.
    Now makes me wonder what's the main account, lol.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My guess is that Mario guy has finally bilked enough people from the lottery thread for a new car
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This is a good start, thanks Rage. I assumed going private would be better. Judging by auto trader, there's not much of a local selection to pick from, so the vehicle will most likely have to be shipped in from another province. Would it be naive to say that Kulu > all other private dealers?
    You're buying from Kulu so you don't have to deal with all that bullshit you just mentioned, plus better access to cars that haven't been listed. My car budget is 1/2 yours and I deal with Kulu on all my used purchases so I don't waste my time. Surprised you'd even consider buying and shipping privately. What a massive PITA with huge risks.

So no, going private especially with shipping and logistics would not be better.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

why did the OP feel the need to use an alt?

My Ride
    This and that.

That be nice ride.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I don’t want my boss to know how I’m spending my bonus.

Edit: shit wrong alt!

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My friends with these cars have found that the dealership basically has an expectation of about $10k/year in service. They don't prepare a work order and ask you what items you'd approve them to address. They take your keys, run up a bill and hand you that bill. Fluids as ridiculous as coolant, ATF and brake fluid may be called for annual replacement. Some 550 Maranello cars will literally be on their 5th timing belt with less than 50,000km on them.
    It's a service designed for the original buyer and if that person gave a shit about disposable income, they wouldn't have bought that car.

Now their new cars have shifted gears into a "free servicing" for something crazy like 7 years. I guarantee they won't be specifying annual ATF changes when they're the ones paying, LoL!

You can decide to fix it wherever you want, but you're losing some of the pedigree of ownership and that devalues your car. While that may matter less on a 20+ year old car that wasn't a flagship, it probably still does matter to reduce the exponential depreciation at the start of the curve. Like on a GTC.

Don't forget there's a V8 GTC as well.
    Thank you, this gives me a good perspective about setting expectations. I did mention that I have no care for the brand itself. The pedigree of ownership can kiss my ass lol. These cars were built to be driven and enjoyed. I'm completely aware of how important finances are, but I'm not going to let the thought of depreciation bother me any longer. Cars are my one guilty pleasure, and even then, I never get the urge to splurge lol. For me, money is just money at the end of the day. I truly live well under my means, and If I don't spend some now on materialistic happiness, I probably never will. I plan on keeping this thing for as long as possible (as stupid as that may be sound). I've accepted the facts, and I'm not making this decision haphazardly.

I looked into the V8, but personally, it's V12 or nothing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    AltAcc, think hard about your decision.
    Now makes me wonder what's the main account, lol.

Haha, main account has been a lurker for years I can assure you that you won't be seeing me at car meets or showing off lol. I have no care for the "finer things in life".

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    My guess is that Mario guy has finally bilked enough people from the lottery thread for a new car

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    For the simple reason that I like to keep to myself. I can assure you I'm no troll. The members here have aided me before. Who better to ask for advice than the local enthusiasts themselves?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    That be nice ride.
    Speak for yourself Shak! You've had a great collection over the years. It's been entertaining to follow your journey so far lol.

My Ride
    This and that.

Nowhere near the Ferrari level though, but one day. That being said, it's not my favourite Ferrari but if you like it then that's all that matters.

My Ride
    ute

I just want to point out the use of the word "bilked".

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Did I misuse it in your eyes?

fact.

My Ride
    ute

Did I misuse it in your eyes?
    No, I meant that in a good way. It's such a good word.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You're buying from Kulu so you don't have to deal with all that bullshit you just mentioned, plus better access to cars that haven't been listed. My car budget is 1/2 yours and I deal with Kulu on all my used purchases so I don't waste my time. Surprised you'd even consider buying and shipping privately. What a massive PITA with huge risks.

So no, going private especially with shipping and logistics would not be better.
    Thanks Rage, this puts my mind at ease for the purchasing aspect. As stated, I have no experience with exotics, so any and all help is appreciated. The more knowledge I can collect going into this, the more prepared I will feel. Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast