Thread: Net Zero Oilsands?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Net Zero Oilsands?

https://www.reuters.com/business/sus...50-2021-06-09/
    Name:  Screenshot_20210609-072622.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  82.1 KB
    Canadian oil sands producers said on Wednesday they would form an alliance to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions from their operations by 2050, as the cash-rich firms come under pressure to meet the country's goal on energy transition.

Oil sands producers, which extract some of the world's most carbon-intense crude, face investor pressure to reduce their environmental impact.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau plans to raise Canada's carbon price steeply over time to position the country for carbon-neutral status by 2050. [https://reut.rs/3pArwFG]

The alliance, which includes Canadian Natural Resources (CNQ.TO), Cenovus Energy (CVE.TO), Imperial Oil (IMO.TO), MEG Energy (MEG.TO) and Suncor Energy (SU.TO), will work with federal and Alberta governments to help Canada meet its climate goals, the companies said.

The country's oil sands producers are generating billions more in free cash flow in a faster-than-expected pandemic rebound, but have taken a cautious approach to spending it that is disappointing environment-minded investors.

The companies said they would look to link oil sands facilities in the Fort McMurray and Cold Lake regions to a carbon sequestration hub, use carbon capture and storage technology, as well as clean hydrogen, fuel switching and other methods to reduce emissions.

The companies will also tap into emerging emissions-reducing technologies including direct air capture and small modular nuclear reactors, among others.
    Discuss your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Will get close if you call Nuclear "clean" and also have carbon credits.

Still don't think Greta will be happy with net zero. She'll say the damage has to be reversed. Maybe she'll consider aborting herself, you know, to reduce emissions.

My Ride
    *The First*

Kyoto 3.0

At least they're embarking on this bold project like all others: with almost no firm plan and maximizing front end loading to set new paradigms in delivering synergy.

Funny how Dammed water and energy isn't in the discussion for the Federal Govt.
    *cough* Quebec *cough*

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Don’t worry. Your tax dollars will be going to subsidize CNRL SU and MEG to get there.

Headline should be “ Canadian oil sands producers ok with Trudeau giving them money to achieve his climate targets”

“Producers will ensure it’s written into the contracts that despite the money received from the federal government, they will continue paying themselves bonuses on schedule. A representative from CNRL commented ‘we learned from the Air Canada handouts that you need to get these things in writing up front otherwise Freeland will run her mouth in the press about it after the fact’. Murray Edward tweeted a thumbs up from London, he’s extremely pleased that Canadian taxpayers will be subsidizing his next billion while doing everything in his power to not pay taxes in Canada himself”
    Last edited by killramos; 06-09-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Here's hoping.

My Ride
    Z

its a good goal and good press but the opposition doesn't care. Mines could be removing CO2 and they'll still want them shut down.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    still don't think greta['s handlers] will be happy with net zero. [they'll make her] say the damage has to be reversed.
    ftfy

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I assume the only way this is possible is by CO2 storage and environmental tax credits.
    Ultracrepidarian

The entire "Climate Change" scene is a dog and pony show. So it's about time the oilsands just said fuck it and got on the make believe bandwagon to start building better public perception. What is scientifically accurate isn't nearly as important as social perceptions when the social perception is the only one affecting whether your business can operate or not.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

They can buy Tesla credits.

Electric cars become profitable, oil sands become carbon neutral. Still lots of pollution and profit but to the dumbass voter, all appears right with the world.

Political-Economic hoodwinking at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Will get close if you call Nuclear "clean" and also have carbon credits.

Still don't think Greta will be happy with net zero. She'll say the damage has to be reversed. Maybe she'll consider aborting herself, you know, to reduce emissions.
    This reminded me of an old article from The Onion. lol

https://www.theonion.com/new-prius-h...ner-1819595261

My Ride
    *The First*

^That's a win!! RoFL!!

Drastic reduction in overall oil consumption *is* possible. If you can get half of the population in temperate america to commute their human bodies at 1/3rd to 2 horsepower (hyper small efficient electric vehicles already in use) that goes a long way. If someone figures out a way to build a spaceship that does not burn twenty tons of fuel per second - also will go a long way. Its literally a 100x reduction in overall horsepower per person.

The thing about oilsands is that the very premise of it is wrong if your ultimate goal is efficiency. Burning natural gas to direct generate electricity is fine, but so is direct burning natural gas to melt silicon to make solar panels.

The much bigger question is: Will anybody care? Is a compressed OGG vorbis on Spotify good enough? Or do you want the uncompressed audio? Will anyone really notice the difference if an electric car uses 10x to 100x less horsepower to achieve the same overall top speed?

BTW: We haven't even got to the point where you can permanently magnetically levitate all four tires on a car, which you can do with electric to further increase efficiency (and potentially have a car be more like a plane) Combustion engine does have the potential to completely and utterly be destroyed overnight - by the enthusiasts themselves.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-20-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    Trumps' signature is fraud by design.