Quantcast
26x27 garage build. - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 26x27 garage build.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why the tiny windows? Seems rather pointless to me? If its for light I'd rather just do a tube skylight. Seems like a extra expense for how small those windows are.

Any word on the final $$$ for them to build it?
    Wanted windows for light, could have went with sky lights or tubes. Worried about them leaking. I've never really used/seen them in any houses/garages I've frequented. I wanted a few more windows, but the wife vetoed. One more of the small ones would have matched the rear .ud room on the house and at least 1 on the back (between the house and garage) so I can see in from my bedroom. Total $ is looking like $67000 ish not including the heater or hrv cost/install or floor coating. Or re building the fence and putting the yard back together....

Also was torn with the windows and security

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Good call on skipping the skylights. They’re nothing but problems in homes, even worse idea in a moist garage.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Someone school me here, is mid 60s the going rate for a 700sqft shop?

Omg that’s crazy expensive. Insane.

I thought (maybe naively) that buildings like this were 35-40 tops.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'm budgeting 25ish to do it myself next summer. Get someone to pour the pad / pony walls and then build it ourselves with a package from star building and then just pay for the gas hookup. Hoping that's plenty of budget, 67k seems like a really hefty price tag but guessing that's also peak lumber prices which probably didn't help

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Someone school me here, is mid 60s the going rate for a 700sqft shop?

Omg that’s crazy expensive. Insane.

I thought (maybe naively) that buildings like this were 35-40 tops.
    Its a lot for sure. I have 10k worth of electrical though. The price includes a panel swap in the house. 200a in the garage, feeding 100a to the house. I priced everything out to do myself and it looked like the cost would have been 35-40k but I just don't have the time. Also, peak prices for most everything. I figure for the price I e paid, I could almost put a top floor with living space a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    I currently have it planned to be in the back corner and will put a welder receptacle on it. 6/3 is good for 65amp I think. Was shocked to read the new lightning uses a 80A fast charger. Low or higher on the wall? How do the chargers mount? Are they hard wired or plug in? Is any standard looking like it will become mainstream?
    My gf had a Nissan Leaf once, so in my garage we had a level 2 charger which is just a plug in device with a box and a long cord. It was only 32 amps. I had it mounted a little lower than half way down the wall but it was a retro fit using conduit.
    I would say half way down the wall is a pretty decent spot. Even if you're just using a receptacle with a level 2 charger, you can make it work. I would just ask your electrician for their opinion.

Sweet garage btw. I'd love to have that extra 5+ feet on the side for storage or a work bench!

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I'm going to be about 25k into my 24x24 garage once it's all said and done.

-19k for structure
    -2k for drywall/insulation
    -1.5k for gas+heat
    -maybe 1.5k for concrete prep for diy epoxy

Pad was included with the house, would've been somewhere between 6-7k I think. Like arcticcat, that's paying peak pandemic prices for everything too.

My Ride
    Canyonero

67000 feels like robbery- but if you take out most of that electrical, it's not completely out of the realm of reasonable. Cost adders like additional windows, trench drains, side-mount openers, etc all add up.

I'll be about 10-12k under that for a triple ~700sqft without as much electrical work in scope.

- - - Updated - - -
    @arcticcat522 can you (or have you already) share more about an HRV in your garage? I'm planning to add a forced air gas heater to my garage but hadn't considered the need for an HRV. Is that code required or is there a specific benefit to adding it?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Guess this is as good of place as any to ask. If you'll be working in the garage more or less full time, what would be the best options for HVAC? A gas infared heater worked great in my last place but kinda concerned about not ever getting any fresh air in there in the winters. Likely won't park in it as it's going to primarily be a workshop.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    67000 feels like robbery- but if you take out most of that electrical, it's not completely out of the realm of reasonable. Cost adders like additional windows, trench drains, side-mount openers, etc all add up.

I'll be about 10-12k under that for a triple ~700sqft without as much electrical work in scope.

- - - Updated - - -
    @arcticcat522 can you (or have you already) share more about an HRV in your garage? I'm planning to add a forced air gas heater to my garage but hadn't considered the need for an HRV. Is that code required or is there a specific benefit to adding it?
    I wanted to add the HRV to try and mitigate any moisture issues. It should do what I need and just keep fresh air circulating without losing too much heat in the process. I was originally ally going to put in a large exhaust fan, but decided it would make heating more problematic. Ended up getting a Lifebreath Metro 120D-ECM. We'll see after i get it running if i installed it correctly. It appears to be very sime. Working g o the duct work now.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Guess this is as good of place as any to ask. If you'll be working in the garage more or less full time, what would be the best options for HVAC? A gas infared heater worked great in my last place but kinda concerned about not ever getting any fresh air in there in the winters. Likely won't park in it as it's going to primarily be a workshop.
    I think an actual gas furnace would fit the bill. Size might be an issue though. Might even find one on kijiji for a deal. I should have looked a bit more in to this before I got the Reznor

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Electrical almost done, HRV almost done, gas heater hung. Need someone to do the gas hook up. I can get gas from the house to the garage....let me know if you know a guy.
    The electrical inspector was a hard ass. My mast is like 4 feet higher than everyone in the lane...
    Spray foam/insulation guy is coming in a couple weeks. Woot woot
    8 - 4' Led lights is almost not enough. We'll see what it looks like when its dark out. The windows help alot when the sun is up.

Name:  20210731_152153.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  232.5 KBName:  20210731_152213.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  115.9 KBName:  20210731_152248.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  316.2 KB
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 07-31-2021 at 04:46 PM.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

BEFORE: (in the house)
    Name:  20210728_204712.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  279.7 KB

AFTER: (in the house)
    Name:  20210730_163840.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  84.8 KB

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

What's the dupont stuff on your window headers?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    What's the dupont stuff on your window headers?
    Its just R10 Styrofoam. There is only 2" of room because of the header, so this is better then fiberglass batt insulation.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Installed the vent for my heater. Hope it meets code. Anyone have any idea?Name:  20210809_195939.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  66.6 KBName:  20210809_195953.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  90.2 KB

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I think you might be too close to combustible materials. It should be noted on the vent kit or the unit itself.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I just can't believe that for this entire build you've had a slide emptying right into the man-door. I can't wait to see that setup in action.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    I think you might be too close to combustible materials. It should be noted on the vent kit or the unit itself.
    1 inch separation is whats required. Its a 4" vent pipe. The larger looking pipe towards to upper portion is being used as an insulation barrier and has more than 1" between it and the 4"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    I just can't believe that for this entire build you've had a slide emptying right into the man-door. I can't wait to see that setup in action.
    It was the best when the trench for the power was open between the end of the slide and the door...poor kids.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast