Quantcast
Good theatre sound similar to sonos? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good theatre sound similar to sonos?

My Ride
    changes every year

Default Good theatre sound similar to sonos?

I've been thinking of sonos for quite a while and I'm about ready to pull the trigger, but before I do, I was wondering what is better priced but similar to sonos?

For the components I'm going to buy, I'll be 2500 deep into it, for the arc, one SL's and sub. Worth it, or should I look into something else?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but whatever, can't find the thread.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you feel you need more than just an Arc and Sub I would say it’s time to move from Sonos to a real HT.

Don’t get me wrong. Sonos is great for what it is, it’s what I use in my living room where I don’t want to look like a HT nerd. But it isn’t any comparison to a real surround setup.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    If you feel you need more than just an Arc and Sub I would say it’s time to move from Sonos to a real HT.

Don’t get me wrong. Sonos is great for what it is, it’s what I use in my living room where I don’t want to look like a HT nerd. But it isn’t any comparison to a real surround setup.
    Is that Arc really that good on its own?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The arc is very good and it’s whole schtick is simulated 3D sound.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    changes every year

Hmm good to know, I just hear things from people I know, but haven't heard just the Arc and sub on their own. I'll have to go to visions and check out the sound.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don’t think arc the arc is really simulated, it has upfiring speakers, so realistically it’s a 5.1.2 setup when paired with rears and a sub. Sonos is only an ideal setup where you want a clean setup with minimal wiring. A proper 7.1.2 HT setup with a receiver, 7 speakers and a sub is cheaper and performs way better. It’s just a wiring mess unless you want to rip open walls to install clean wiring or in wall speakers.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Hmm good to know, I just hear things from people I know, but haven't heard just the Arc and sub on their own. I'll have to go to visions and check out the sound.
    I've never heard a good setup/demo at Visions or Best Buy. It's tricky enough to calibrate Atmos to truly appreciate it in a closed space, can't see them even spending the time to do it or even getting it right in such an open space, especially with the Arc needing ceilings to bounce height sounds off of.

There's a faux room at Best Buy beacon hills with an Atmos demo reel running, and it sounds like ass even with the proper speaker placements because there's 0 calibration.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I've never heard a good setup/demo at Visions or Best Buy. It's tricky enough to calibrate Atmos to truly appreciate it in a closed space, can't see them even spending the time to do it or even getting it right in such an open space, especially with the Arc needing ceilings to bounce height sounds off of.

There's a faux room at Best Buy beacon hills with an Atmos demo reel running, and it sounds like ass even with the proper speaker placements because there's 0 calibration.
    Is there a place I can go that I can hear the setup? I have a full speaker setup, but I dont want to use all of it due to lack of space and of course, im tired of wiring.

Also, the house I bought, it dies have wiring in the walls, but it was placed poorly and is now behind my couch, so its useless.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Is there a place I can go that I can hear the setup? I have a full speaker setup, but I dont want to use all of it due to lack of space and of course, im tired of wiring.

Also, the house I bought, it dies have wiring in the walls, but it was placed poorly and is now behind my couch, so its useless.
    I can't think of any place that caters to it. Visions used to be not bad in their demo rooms, I figure in the last years with them cutting costs and moving shit as fast as possible, they've dropped the ball on it. The last time I went in there (couple months ago) it was just used for storing gear, and only a TV was setup.

I have a setup in my basement with basically the cheapest but decent performance sub, receiver, and in wall speakers I can demo. 7 x $100 speakers, $450 receiver, $300 sub. It sounds incredible for the money, gives you an idea what Atmos can do even on a budget.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Another option is make sure wherever you buy the sonos stuff from has a good return policy.

And then try it for yourself at home to see what you like / appreciate.

fact.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I have a setup in my basement with basically the cheapest but decent performance sub, receiver, and in wall speakers I can demo. 7 x $100 speakers, $450 receiver, $300 sub. It sounds incredible for the money, gives you an idea what Atmos can do even on a budget.
    Where do you place your 2 height speakers? Directly above you or 45 degrees in front of you?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Where do you place your 2 height speakers? Directly above you or 45 degrees in front of you?
    In front of the seating positions. I actually don’t have physical height speakers. I’m bouncing regular speakers off the ceiling. I tested both methods last year and the difference was negligible, so I settled on bounce vs hanging 2 ugly ass speakers on the ceiling.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

K and W audio downtown has it setup properly (I think). Haven't been there in years so I don't remember

My Ride
    changes every year

I can't think of any place that caters to it. Visions used to be not bad in their demo rooms, I figure in the last years with them cutting costs and moving shit as fast as possible, they've dropped the ball on it. The last time I went in there (couple months ago) it was just used for storing gear, and only a TV was setup.

Ya man, that's basically what I had in my last place. Honestly I just don't want to do anymore cutting in walls or anything.

I went to visions today and checked out a few options but sonos just seems to be more of what I want I think. Has anyone been to Costco lately? Apparently they sell sonos, any promotions with buying them there?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ya man, that's basically what I had in my last place. Honestly I just don't want to do anymore cutting in walls or anything.

I went to visions today and checked out a few options but sonos just seems to be more of what I want I think. Has anyone been to Costco lately? Apparently they sell sonos, any promotions with buying them there?
    Sonos never go on good sales. If you’re looking for the Arc, it’s never been discounted ever. I think I waited almost 2 years for the damn Beam to go on sale and only saved $150 haha.

Sonos is actually quite average from a sound quality standpoint compared to much cheaper solutions, but that isn't really the point of Sonos. With Sonos you are paying for aesthetics and connectivity, with 'good enough' sound. They won't even publish their power ratings. It just depends what's important to you. If you want a sleek sound bar or a "lifestyle" look to your sound system, that is what Sonos excels at. It's more suited to improving your living room TV setup than building a theater around. If you want really great sound and/or a proper HT experience, that isn't the Sonos value proposition. However, not everyone cares that much and Sonos can still be a good choice for people who want to hide wires, etc. One major disadvantage of Sonos for HT use is no support for DTS/DTS-HD/DTS-X at all and no support for lossless HT codecs without eARC.

I have a calibrated 10-channel dedicated Atmos/DTS-X HT if you ever want to come by, I'd be happy to crack a couple beers and help with a demo and an education. I had all the in-wall/in-ceiling wiring done after the fact and it was not difficult to do at all, nor was it expensive - the only holes cut were for speakers and the wires were simply fished through. You can also go somewhere like BASE Electronics where they have an Atmos demo room but also sell Sonos, and they will very likely have the best prices on everything for you as well - I have been using them for everything HT related for over a decade.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-01-2021 at 02:28 PM.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Sonos is actually quite average from a sound quality standpoint compared to much cheaper solutions, but that isn't really the point of Sonos. With Sonos you are paying for aesthetics and connectivity, with 'good enough' sound. They won't even publish their power ratings. It just depends what's important to you. If you want a sleek sound bar or a "lifestyle" look to your sound system, that is what Sonos excels at. It's more suited to improving your living room TV setup than building a theater around. If you want really great sound and/or a proper HT experience, that isn't the Sonos value proposition. However, not everyone cares that much and Sonos can still be a good choice for people who want to hide wires, etc. One major disadvantage of Sonos for HT use is no support for DTS/DTS-HD/DTS-X at all and no support for lossless HT codecs without eARC.

I have a calibrated 10-channel dedicated Atmos/DTS-X HT if you ever want to come by, I'd be happy to crack a couple beers and help with a demo and an education. I had all the in-wall/in-ceiling wiring done after the fact and it was not difficult to do at all, nor was it expensive - the only holes cut were for speakers and the wires were simply fished through. You can also go somewhere like BASE Electronics where they have an Atmos demo room but also sell Sonos, and they will very likely have the best prices on everything for you as well - I have been using them for everything HT related for over a decade.
    Fine. How about this @Mitsu3000gt . I will but in wall and ceiling speakers, keep my existing sub and receiver and you come and install it fir me and I will supply the beers while you educate me on it all lol

Fine. How about this @Mitsu3000gt . I will but in wall and ceiling speakers, keep my existing sub and receiver and you come and install it fir me and I will supply the beers while you educate me on it all lol
    Haha I don't have the patience for installs anymore, I paid BASE to do it when we moved into our new home, but to give you an idea the entire install cost on my HT from scratch including all in-wall and in-ceiling work (6 speakers in ceiling), wiring, component rack install, mounting projector/screen, installing electrical outlets on my ceiling, etc. was $880. That price even included calibration but I prefer to do that myself.

If you want a demo or anything though just shoot me a PM. Or if you want to demo an Atmos theater back to back with Sonos, you can do that at BASE Electronics. They have a brand new Atmos demo room last time I talked to the owner and a Sonos surround setup in their main showroom as well (last time I was in there anyway).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-01-2021 at 03:19 PM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

In front of the seating positions. I actually don’t have physical height speakers. I’m bouncing regular speakers off the ceiling. I tested both methods last year and the difference was negligible, so I settled on bounce vs hanging 2 ugly ass speakers on the ceiling.
    Fair enough.
    I haven't found a place where I can experience the reflective method. But then I also don't like dangling speakers or feel like retrofitting speakers into the ceiling.

What's a good alternative to Sonos?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Fair enough.
    I haven't found a place where I can experience the reflective method. But then I also don't like dangling speakers or feel like retrofitting speakers into the ceiling.

What's a good alternative to Sonos?
    We’re all desperate for people here so if you want a demo come on over haha.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast