Quantcast
Good theatre sound similar to sonos? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Good theatre sound similar to sonos?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Alright @benyl , figure I post my research on Atmos setups so I don't have to do it again in the future.

5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.2.2 (7 and 9 channel) setups, not going to cover. There's so much cheap shit out there that'll do the job. Shit gets tricky at the 7.1.4 (11 channel) and 7.1.6 (13 channel) setups. Speakers, I personally go with cheap speakers, and good subs for best bang for the buck.

For a 7.1.4 11 channel setup, the cheapest route is to get a 9.2 receiver that can process 11 channels and output 2 channels to an external amp. Only 2 budget receivers that can do this.

Yamaha RX-A3080 (cheapest but hard to find these days)
    Denon AVR-X3700H (has HDMi 2.1 support for better future proof)

These are 2020 models, so get 'em while you can. Royal Oak London Drugs seems to have it in stock.

https://www.londondrugs.com/denon-9..../L1293221.html

There's a HDMI bug with the earlier builds but they're giving adapters to fix the issue. More info here.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/den...he-hdmi-21-bug

You'll need to buy an external amp for the last 2 channels. Get whatever's cheap. So $2k for the receiver, and a few hundred bucks for a 2 channel amp.

If you want a cleaner setup, you can go with a 11.2 amp. Denon's AVR-X6700H does the job. Cleaner than a separate amp added to a 9.2 receiver, but definitely a little pricier at $4k.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...&sku=AVRX6700H

If you want to go all out with a 7.2.6 setup, there's only 1 cheap solution. Denon AVR-X8500H 13 channel amp. Only thing else that processes 13 channels is discrete processors where you need 13 channels of amps. Fuck that.

https://www.londondrugs.com/denon-13.../L0226915.html

Weird they're selling for $6k, last time I saw them they were $5k, Denon lists it as $5299 MSRP.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    changes every year

From what I heard, end of this month, sonos arc and sub are going up $100 each.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I heard, end of this month, sonos arc and sub are going up $100 each.

Nope it’s already in effect. 10% starting yesterday

My Ride
    Grimace

Yeah, it looks like it was the 12th. I had almost picked up the arc from costco for $949 last friday and then looked to buy it online on sunday and it had already gone up. Was salty so I picked up the open box from bestbuy for $899 as it was on sale for $80 off but still $979 as they didn't correct open box prices for the increase yet.

@rage2 that doesn't look very budget friendly lol? Am I missing something

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by beecue View Post
    @rage2 that doesn't look very budget friendly lol? Am I missing something
    7 channel systems are budget friendly. I specifically said there’s so much out there, just pick what’s cheapest with the features you need.

I did take a look at the cheapest 7 channel out there to get you 5.1.2, a little more expensive than when I got mine at $450.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...3&sku=STRDH790

My guess is you can negotiate that down to 500 bucks.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Woops, sorry didn't read that properly.

My Ride
    Exploded.

@rage2 FFS I'm now in the Atmos rabbit hole.

Is Atmos dependent on the TV, or just the media device that's providing the content (i.e. Roku Stick/Apple TV/etc)?

Can the Sonos Arc be mounted on a wall? If so, how does the Atmos technology work if that's the case?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Your TV needs to support full eArc to be able to pass the atmos soundtrack through from your source which also needs to support atmos. Basically everything needs to support atmos to work, if any part of the chain doesn’t support it it won’t work and even then it’s not a guarantee.

Wall mount is fine. It bounces sound off the ceiling for the 3D effect.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you're using a Sonos Arc, the path would be Apple TV 4K -> TV -> Sonos via eARC. Everything in that chain needs to be compliant to make it work.

If you go with a receiver route, you're going Apple TV 4K -> Receiver -> TV. Only up to the receiver does it need to be atmos compliant as a TV won't be part of the audio cycle.

Looks like the Sonos Arc doesn’t have any inputs aside from the eARC port so your tv needs to support eARC if you want full lossless atmos support. If your tv doesn’t have eARC and instead just ARC, it will still support atmos but it will be “lossy” atmos (for lack of a better term).

Other soundbars have extra inputs which would mean you could connect your lossless source like an Apple TV directly into the sound bar and get full lossless atmos without your tv requiring eARC.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on any of that but that was my laymen understanding when I researched this stuff a few months ago.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Looks like the Sonos Arc doesn’t have any inputs aside from the eARC port so your tv needs to support eARC if you want full lossless atmos support. If your tv doesn’t have eARC and instead just ARC, it will still support atmos but it will be “lossy” atmos (for lack of a better term).

Other soundbars have extra inputs which would mean you could connect your lossless source like an Apple TV directly into the sound bar and get full lossless atmos without your tv requiring eARC.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on any of that but that was my laymen understanding when I researched this stuff a few months ago.
    That should be correct. Only way around without earc is a hdfury arcana or something similar but that went up in price so it is now $$$ and would only work for one input w/o a switch (I use the hue one)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you connect an Apple TV directly to the sound bar… you wouldn’t be able to connect it to your tv

If you are putting a receiver in the mix I don’t know why you are bothering with a sound bar at all.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Well there are other soundbars aside from Sonos that have additional inputs on top of the tv ARC/eARC. So you connect Apple TV to input 1 on the sound bar, then tv to ARC/eARC on the sound bar, which would give you full lossless atmos while still able to watch on your tv.

That said I think it’s still fine to get a Sonos Arc even if tv doesn’t support eARC because 99% of people wouldn’t notice a difference between downgraded atmos vs full lossless atmos on a soundbar. Might be easier to notice the difference on a proper atmos setup with real independent speaker channels.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea but then your Apple TV can’t pass video to the TV because it only has 1 output lol. Or do you mean a sound bar that can pass through the audio like a receiver?

AppleTV is an expensive audio source haha

fact.

Yup the soundbar would pass the video through its hdmi out. For example the LG sp8ya:
    https://www.costco.ca/lg-sp8ya-sound...100779904.html

It has an hdmi in and 4K hdmi out (arc/eARC) to pass the video through. So a decent option if you want full lossless atmos but don’t have a tv that supports eARC.

Not sure why sonos didn’t add an extra input like this to the Sonos Arc. Maybe to keep it more simple/premium?

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Not quite a HT grade speaker, but is anyone using the new Sonos Beam without a subwoofer?
    Looking to add a bit of volume for the living room.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3