Quantcast
The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Gladiator around Australia - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Gladiator around Australia

My Ride
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Hi All,

I've been exploring the WILD east coast of Tasmnaia, and it's utterly breathtaking.
    This place is truely stunning, some of the best bang-for-your-buck scenery I've seen anywhere on the planet!

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Tassie is such a stunning place, definitely a bucket list spot for me.

My Ride

Hi all,

I've been exploring Bruny Island off Tasmania - yep, that's an Island off an island... off an island

I finally got the Gladiator onto the beach for the first time, explored stunning forests and beaches and had a great time!

The house on wheels Gladiator continues to perform really well, and every day on the road is getting more and more streamlined as I find a home for everything and get more efficient with every system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrvqCV0sqnI

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride

Hi All,

As I moved around Africa I interviewed interesting Overlanders that I bumped into - showing their story and what they were up to.

Here in Australia I've decided for a twist on that, and I'll be filming interesting Overland vehicles that I come across, showing the features and interesting bits and pieces that I think make them fantastic for long term overlanding.

To kick off "Overland Rides", I give you

THE CRUSINATOR!!

With a 4.5Ltr V8 Turbo Diesel, 180L (65Gal) Diesel capacity, 100L (26Gal) Drinking water tank, diesel heater, water heater, shower, fridge, freezer and plenty of room to swing a dead cat INSIDE, this thing is a beast of a house on wheels.

The owners are just wrapping up a ten month trip around all of Australia, so you know this vehicle actually works in the real world.

There are a ton of well-thought out features and ideas on this vehicle I really appreciate as a long-term overlander, don't be surprised when a few of them turn up on my vehicles in the future.

Video tour of all the features of this monster out now!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

I've been exploring South West Tasmania, which may just be the most stunning place I've ever explored on the planet.

The wilderness is immense, and there is simply nobody around - it's like having Alaska or the Yukon all to yourself - simply incredible.

I show it off in my latest episode on YouTube:

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time coming, and I'm finally exploring the region of Tasmania I have been looking forward to most of all.
    With a name like "The Road to Nowhere" I couldn't resit exploring the famous Western Wilderness Road in the most remote region of Tasmania.

With very little traffic, genuine mountains, wild coastline and virtually no development, this is the perfect place to roam wild for a few days.

In my latest video I bring you along for the journey, and even teach you about some famous Aussie food for fun!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

I'm loving the wilderness on the West Coast of Tasmania, and set out to tackle the Sandy Cape Track - known for it's river crossings, beaches and quicksand (yes, really).

It did not disappoint, and is maybe the highlight of Tassie for me!

In this video I tackle what is easily the longest river crossing I've ever attempted -

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

I strongly believe suspension should be the LAST upgrade on any overlander, and in my latest video I run through the whys of what I've chosen.
    After months of planning and research, I just upgraded the suspension on my Gladiator.

It's impossible to choose the correct suspension package without knowing the weight of your vehicle, and you can't know that until it's complete.

Getting this right has completely changed how my Gladiator handles on and off road.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

With my Dad as stunt driver we drove back up into the Victorian High Country to tackle over 30 river crossings in a single day on the famous Crooked River Track.
    The river zig zags back and forward while the old mining exploration track basically goes straight, crossing the river every hundred yards for a handful of miles.

This is the kind of adventure I dreamed of when I came to Australia, and I'm so happy Dad and I did it together.
    I'll never forget this one as long as I live.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

After Tasmania I swung back through Dad's place and together we worked on a ton of little fixed, improvements and changes to the Gladiator setup and camping/overlanding gear.

These little tweaks make life on the road so much more enjoyable, and most importantly more convenient.
    That means I spend more time each day enjoying my trip, and less time setting up and tearing down camp - which is super important to me.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

After the fixes and adjustments to our gear in Dad's Shed we hit the road again, and made it as far as Robe in South Australia.

This place is famous for it's baech driving and massive sand dunes, and now I know why!

We spent a couple of days driving south from Robe to Beachport - in the huge dunes, on the beach and in the smaller dunes just back from the ocean.
    It was incredible, and a lot more adventure than I bargained for.

It was great to get the Jeep stuck a few times in the deep soft sand a get a feel for how it behaves, and how hard it is to get unstuck (really not bad) - even though it's big and heavy.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

People often ask me what do you really 'need' to go overlanding, and for a long time I've always thought the most important thing is a srong reason to get out there.

WHY do you want to get out remote and explore?

Maybe it's fishing, hiking, hunting or learning new cultures and languages.
    Maybe you just want to buy mystery meat on a stick in a random street market for fifty cents and enjoy.

Whatever your reason, that is what will drive you to find better sleeping solutions, tolerate the bugs and the cold nights and get up before sunrise simply to enjoy it.

As you know, I'm a hot spring nutcase, and that was originally my reason to explore Canada and the USA in my first Overland vehicle.

Now I've taken it to another level, and I paid a visit to the only Radioactive hot spring in the world.

The water coming out of the ground here is heated by the decay of Uranium, which none others are.

It was a rough, hot and dusty adventure, and it was worth every second.

Checkout my latest video for all the adventure:

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

We've been out exploring the Flinders Ranges for the last week.

This wilderness National Park has hiking, 4x4ing, aboriginal rock art, tons of wildlife and absolutely stunning Rocky Mountains, canyons and dry river beds to explore.

It's starting to feel like we're getting "Australia remote" now!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

Australia has been experiencing unprecedented rainfall, which is causing massive flooding in many parts of the country.

Tens of thousands of homes have been lost.

Even in the desert there is way more rain than usual, and we got stranded for days waiting for one of the famous outback tracks to open.

I fully expected the Oodnadatta Track to be hot, dry and dusty - and I was utterly wrong!

We went out the minute the road opened and found plenty of slippery mud pits to keep us busy, springs, friends and plenty more.

Less than 24 hours later they closed the road again because it was too bad.

Checkout the latest video over on YouTube to see all the fun.

I knew Australia would be an adventure, but as usual it is not the adventure I bargained for!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

We're very close to the red center of Australia now, and we set off on a little adventure into the Finke River Gorge.
    The Finke is known as the oldest river on earth, and the scenery absolutely did not dissapoint!

We also teamed up with Matt in his diesel Ford Maverick (a re-badged Nissan Patrol), cook on the fire, sample Kangaroo tail and a whole lot more!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

I think it's safe to say no visit to Australia would be complete without exploring the mighty Red Center.

Smack in the middle of the continent there is so much to see and do from the mighty Uluru (Ayres Rock) to Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, swimming in stunning gorges, eating local delicacies and so, so much more!

Jump aboard the latest video as I show you around a place I've dreamed of visiting for my entire life.

After seeing thosuands and thousands of photos of these places over my lifetime they still managed to completely blow me away.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

Exploring the remote corners of the planet has always appealed to me, so crossing the mighty Simpson Desert has been on my radar for many years.

The crossing involves crossing more than 1,300 sand dunes through 733km (460 miles) of deep sand and you won't see a soul for seven days.
    Obviously there is a lot to think about to make a safe crossing - in fact I planned and prepared for months to make it happen.

From fuel and drinking water to safety equipment, permits, food, tires, emergency prep and more, I run through all the preparation that went into this massive desert crossing in my latest video.

If you've ever dreamed of getting *extremely* remote in your Overland travels, this one is for you.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

I have dreamed of crossing the Simpson Desert for most of my life, and after months of planning and preparation it absolutely did not disappoint!

We spent 7 days crossing more than 1,300 bright red sand dunes, and didn't see a soul the entire time.

Not everything went to plan, though of course the adventure begins when things go wrong!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

The final challenge crossing the Simpson Desert is "Big Red" - the largest (or at least most iconic) red sand dune of the seven day crossing.

There are multiple different lines to choose from, and of course I took the hardest (steepest) one.

In manual mode, low range, I approached with good speed and just bumped down a gear every time I felt the jeep slowing.

With the tires at 12psi the Jeep was unstoppable, and I actually backed off long before reaching the top.
    I did multiple passes and it was always not a problem.

Part II of our Simpson Desert crossing is live now on YouTube!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

I came to Australia to spend time with my family on adventure, and that is exactly what I've been doing!

Katie and I drove clear across to the East Coast, and we've been hanging out with my uncles and aunties in beach paradise.

My Uncle Ron has had a huge influence on my life, and I'm so happy we just spent a couple of weeks together. Ron is an outdoorsy guy who loves fishing, hunting, camping and getting to wild and remote places, so it's safe to say he was always an inspiration for me, and some of my earliest memories of outdoor adventure include Uncle Ron.

He's been fishing right off the beach for shark since he was a teenager, and over the years he has become exceedingly good at it.

In the latest episode of The Road Chose Me I bring you along to show exactly what it's like to fish from the beach down under, and we pull in a toothy beast right off the sand where people were surfing!!

While Overlanding is often called "Vehicle Based Adventure Travel", I like to showcase the adventures we get up to outside the vehicle - after all, those are the very reason we drove to these remote places!

Jump over to YouTube to see all the action:

-Dan
    --
    --

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast