Quantcast
The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Gladiator around Australia - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Gladiator around Australia

My Ride
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Hi All,

I always knew Fraser Island / K'Gari National Park would be a top 10 highlight of Australia, and it absolutely did not disappoint!

This is the world's largest sand island, and together with my uncle Ron we spent ten days exploring all over, taking in the sights.

We swam in the crystal clear water, had dingoes in camp, got Ron's Hilux stuck in the sand, raced the tides and a whole lot more!
    We also tackled one of Australia's most iconic 4x4 obsticles - N'gala rocks and the steep soft sand climb it requires.

All the adventure is in the latest video:

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride

Hi all,

For our latest adventure we set out to explore a remote island off the coast of Tropical Northern Australia.
    This National Park wilderness is packed with stunning beaches, waterfalls, river crossings and we even had a tropical rain storm.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the crocodiles.

I'm no expert, and the only thing I really know about them is that I don't like them. Now we're in the far North of Australia, crocs will be a regular thing we have to deal with.

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I asked for questions across social media, and now it's time to answer them all.

Join Katie and I as we run through your questions about the Australia expedition, the Jeep, ourselves, and a whole lot more!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

As I move around Australia I'm seeing a TON of well-built Overland vehicles, but none come close to this one.
    Ruth and Tony spent two years driving around Africa on the same route as me in their Defender 130.
    We camped together in Egypt at what would be the final wild camp in all of Africa for us, and waved farewell.
    They've been in Australia all this time earning money and saving pennies, and in two weeks they're shipping their Defender BACK to Africa for another two year adventure.
    Yes, they loved it that much.

This vehicle is so iconic, and I just love the adventures that it enables, and Ruth and Tony's passion to get out there and have adventures on a massive scale.
    In my latest video I tour this unreal Defender, and talk about the incredible adventures they have.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

Northern Australia is turning super tropical, and I have to take in as much as possible while I'm here.

The Great Barrier Reef is the largest living organism on earth, and is UNESCO listed.

I had to get out SCUBA diving and have a look at this incredible underwater world for myself.

If you've ever wondered what the underwater world looks like, I show you in my latest YouTube video:

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

The CREB Track in Far North Queensland is infamous for extremely slick mud, deep water and remoteness. After road it's considered "extreme" and I've seen videos where it's impossible to walk up the slick inclines to attach a winch rope!

The jungle here still has living remnants of a world 50-130 million years old, and it feel exactly like exploring Jurassic Park.

Teaming up with a bunch of big Land Cruiser Troop Carriers made for a lot of fun, and it was great to compare the Jeep to these monster 4.5L V8 Diesel machines.

Katie also used the winch for the first time and did great!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    LX 5.0

Quite the episode Dan, I feel those Toyota guys are going to break something!

My Ride

Hi All,

The Frenchman's Track in Far North Queensland dished out mud, a very deep and fast flowing river crossing, tons of flexy bits and absolutely stunning landscapes.

This was easy the sketchiest riving crossing of my life, and we spent a very long time assessing the safest way to get across.

We again teamed up with a young couple in their 78 series Land Cruiser Troopie, and a BIG GU Patrol to get it done.
    We had a great time comparing the different vehicles handled the obsticles, and the others simply couldn't believe how easy the Jeep made it look. While they would get BIG wheel lifts and wheel spin, the Jeep walked up everything at almost no speed.
    I'm coming around to the automatic transmission for the technical stuff, and the low range Rubicon gearing is king for control.

Checkout the full video now on YT:

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

The "Old Tele" track is in the Far North East of Australia, and takes you up almost to the very tip of the continent (which is only 1,500kms from the Equator... (1000mi)) ... so it's hot, sticky and tropical up here, even in winter (which it is now in Australia)

The track took us four days and includes some of Australia's most famous 4x4 obstacles.

There are many deep water crossings, including Nolan's (almost up to the hood) and quite a few very steep/tricky creek entrances and exits with big mud walls that can cause panel damage.

I drove the Jeep Gladiator, and I teamed up with a new VDJ78 Land Cruiser (4.8 V8 TD), a GU Nissan Patrol (4.2 TD) and an older HZJ75 Land Cruiser. It was incredible to see how the different vehicles handles the different obstacles, and how they were driven differently based on the vehicles strengths.

We had an incredible time, and on the final day we all said "Should we go and do it again right now?" - we loved it that much. I can totally see why people come up every year to do it over and over.

This track has been on my "Top 10 global overland tracks" for a couple of decades, and I absolutely loved it and I'm so stoked I got to spend the time and do it right!

The full video of our adventure is on YouTube:

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi all,

Driving the Old Tele Track with a rag tag team of adventurers was a whole lot of fun - not only did we make new friends and have a lot of laughs, we also got to compare vastly different vehicles.

In the latest YouTube episode I showcase the vehicles we drove the Tele with, running around each one to highlight the features I like the most, and what we can learn from each vehicle to apply to our own setups.
    I really enjoying seeing how other people have outfitted their vehicles, and thinking about how I can incorporate some of the best and well thought out features into my future vehicles and adventures.

Overland Rides - VDJ78 Land Cruiser / HZJ75 Land Cruiser / GU Nissan Patrol

https://youtu.be/20CsTlR6Ew0

Which one of these vehicles would you have and why?

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi all,

On this week's episode we're exploring the remote "Gulf Country" across the top of Australia.

We find wild and remote hot springs, paddle in a stunning gorge, drive on plenty of dusty and corrugated remote roads and venture into what might be the most stunning rock formations I've ever seen.

The distances are HUGE up here and I'm extremely thankful for the aux fuel tank, without which we'd be filling up with $2.90/L gas ($7.48USD/Gal) often! Having such a long range means I can skip the smaller expensive ones and only fill up every 600 miles at the big cheaper stations.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

The Top End of Australia was everything I always dreamed it would be - hot, remote & dusty.

But it's also so much more!

There are plenty of stunning waterfalls to explore, crocs to dodge and wild places to camp.
    This is the land of "Crocodile Dundee" from my memories and it absolutely did not disappoint!

Checkout all our adventures in the latest video, on YouTube now:

We've also rolled over 40,000kms on this adventure, with plenty more to come!
    (That's about 25k miles)

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

Katie and I learned of a "Secret Spring" in a remote location with waterfalls, swimming and some cool 4x4ing required to get in there.

This sounded like the perfect adventure for us, so we set out to see what was out there, and I filmed this episode about it.

Locals have sworn me to secrecy on this one, sothe goal of this video is to inspire you to get out on your own "Secret Spring" adventure!

I hope you enjoy seeing more of wild and remote Australia

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

The Gibb River Road in Northern Western Australia might actually be the pinnacle of remote long-distance 4x4 travel.
    It certain is in the top five routes I've ever done in my life.

With tons to see and do, this was an epic 8 day trip that we won't soon forget

Join us as we take you on a journey that is 1300km long! (800mi)

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

We're moving along the coastline of Western Australia, and we recently spent time in the Pilbara region.
    This area is famous for bright red dirt, rock formations and extremely large distances and remoteness.
    As we found out, they were not kidding!

We also tackle the longest river crossing of the expedition, find some warm springs and plenty of other stunning locations.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

We've been exploring in and around the stunning Karijini National Park in the Pilbara region of remote Western Australia.

The distances out here are staggering, and the long range fuel tank is getting a work out.

From stunning red rocks to canyons, waterfalls, wild camps and crazy Australian warning signs we checkout the stunning landscapes in the area.

Jump aboard to see what it's all about.

https://youtu.be/70nkkodO08E

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

Have you ever dreamed of driving around the world without shipping or flying your vehicle?

All you have to do is drive a Jeep that is also a boat, which is exactly what Ben & Elinore Carlin did in their amphibious Jeep named "Half-Safe"

Their journey and story is utterly mind-blowing, and while reading the book I just kept thinking it couldn't possibly be real.
    The adventure is off the scale, the sights, the risks, the absurdity of it all.

And now I have the proof it really did all happen!

I visited Half-Safe, laying my eyes on the actual Jeep, and I'm still grinning like mad!

I don't believe this adventure will ever be topped, and is the pinnacle of "Drive Around The World".

Come along as I walk you through the entire story, showing off Half-Safe in it's final display location in Western Australia.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi all,

The coastline of Western Australia is utterly breathtaking and includes some world-famous sights that have been a must visit for me for a couple of decades.

Driving to the edge of the earth in such spectacular scenery is one of many highlights on this continent, and has to be seen to be believed.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

This adventure is nearing it's end, and I've listed the Gladiator for sale.
    With over $24,000 USD in upgrades and gear you can take advantage of the strong US Dollar and have that Australian adventure you have always wanted. I'll pick you up at the Melbourne airport, you swing by a supermarket and your adventure begins.

For the Gladiator and all gear, I'm asking $75,000 USD.

Full details & photos in this Expo For Sale thread:
    https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...tralia.235641/

Fire away with any questions.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi all,

I'm feeling at a bit of a loose end now that Katie has flown back to Canada, so I caught up with Josh in his big Land Cruiser 78 Troopie and went out on a boys 4x4 trip for a few days!

Josh took me to stunning coastlines, deep sand and unbelievable campsites along the South Western coast of WA.

Check it out on the latest YouTube episode:

-Dan
    --
    --

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast