Quantcast
Possible dealership mistake caused cracked headlight? What would you do? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Possible dealership mistake caused cracked headlight? What would you do?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dealerships in particular are notorious for not actually doing inspections, both on their own used stock and people who bring cars there for private sale inspections. I can't even tell you how many "certified" used cars I have been in either with major obvious problems (like not being able to shift into reverse) or basic things that don't work (like wipers, etc.) Those 200pt inspections seem to be mostly visual.
    The certification process on a used vehicle is just financial paperwork. Viewing the vehicle is not required.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The certification process on a used vehicle is just financial paperwork. Viewing the vehicle is not required.
    The ones I have test driven have always advertised a "200 point" or whatever inspection as part of the certification process, but whether that actually happens or not is anyone's guess. The idea behind certification is that everything has been brought up to spec before the the warranty is extended. The problem of course is that's left up to the dealers to do, so they tend to spend as little money on them as possible and things seems to get conveniently 'missed' all the time.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but I have a feeling those 200 point inspection is charged at a flat rate (maybe 1-1.5 hour). So the tech will go through the car as quick as possible so they can move on to the next work order.

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I would remove the headlight, clean out the water, JB weld (Or some other plastic repair epoxy) the crack, reinstall and call it a day. $5 fix and maybe a few hours of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    This is what I'm thinking. I used a heat gun (from a distance to avoid warping) on my wife's headlight to make sure all the water was evaporated out, and then sealed a hole and haven't had a problem since. Worst case you can always replace the headlight later if it doesn't work and you're no worse off.
    There’s actually a decent amount of water in there so I would have to open up the headlight to dry it. I looked at a few videos on YouTube about this but it doesn’t look pretty. Apparently they use a fuck ton of glue so it requires a combination of baking the headlight in the oven and using a heat gun and slowly prying them apart. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to try it but it’ll take someone like me multiple hours. Not a bad idea tho if I can set aside some time

This guy makes it look relatively easy but he has the proper prying tools and stated he opened up the headlights a few times before this… I assume the first time was a major effort

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

That's too bad. I guess it depends how much time you want to spend trying to get it right. You could still try drilling a hole for water to drain, since you're already patching it. I literally left the light installed on the van, warmed the lens from the outside until there was no more water inside, and then reached in behind and smeared some clear silicone caulking on the housing where I thought the crack was.

In fairness, it's not like my wife's van is a show car so I was willing to try some shortcuts, but tbh, if your brain has already accepted buying a new light, then might as well experiment with the old one first and maybe you get lucky.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong here, but I have a feeling those 200 point inspection is charged at a flat rate (maybe 1-1.5 hour). So the tech will go through the car as quick as possible so they can move on to the next work order.
    LoL "200". I think when I used to work at an oil change place, we managed to "check 50+" things.
    In less than 10 min.
    While (usually) successfully changing the oil & filter.

SoComprehensiveDoge.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2