Quantcast
Used Audis to Avoid? (S4-S7, 2011-2018) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Used Audis to Avoid? (S4-S7, 2011-2018)

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because I’m ashamed to say Volkswagen

- Audi Owner
    Dont you have an S3/RS3?

Those are really cool. Each brand has highlights and lowlights in their portfolio. What I mean is why do people say they *have* to have an audi. I guess I'm not very brand loyal.

Lots and lots of MBs and Mercs that aren't appealing. My brother is shopping for A6s right now, and won't even looks at MB/BMW. At all.

- - - Updated - - -

Audis I would look at:

S3/RS3
    RS5 sportback
    RS6 wagon
    maybe RSQ8

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Dont you have an S3/RS3?

Those are really cool. Each brand has highlights and lowlights in their portfolio. What I mean is why do people say they *have* to have an audi. I guess I'm not very brand loyal.

Lots and lots of MBs and Mercs that aren't appealing. My brother is shopping for A6s right now, and won't even looks at MB/BMW. At all.
    The S3 has 155k at the moment and only issues I’mhaving right now are electrical (surprise surprise). Power is still there but I change the oil every 8k.

The rear view camera quit to become a lawyer.

I would never buy a 3.2 six cylinder or the V8. Four bangers are VAG bread and butter so it just works. I’m too poor for the 5 pot

For me, the Audi had the nicest interior layout (keyword: layout not looks).

BMW never changed their interior since 1952 so it works but iDrive is stupid with their parent/child clickymajiggy

Mercedes layout is second best but Audis MMI is too nice to say no.

This was based on 2010-2015 model range
    Last edited by flipstah; 07-16-2021 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Agreed finding the right option set is hard. Have you heard the B&O System in the A7? I found it a bit underwhelming, I generally find the higher end stereo options in lower level cars to be lacking. I get the appeal of the '7''s though, lots of practicality with the hatch and tonnes of cargo room.

Good luck finding the right car, I don't think the turbo issues are a 100% hit rate for the 4.0T... You could just roll the dice.

Interesting, so did I! Dark blue on the tweed reccaro seats... nice car, actually bought it on beyond with a good friend of mine in High School (Member:Statick). Solid car and fun to learn manual on.
    I haven’t heard the B&O in the A7, but I test drove the S5 a few years ago and thought it was the best “stock” system I’d heard in that price point. Having a dedicated subwoofer control was really nice to improve bass without turning the volume up too much.

Thank you to everyone for the replies. If I go Audi I’ll make sure it has warranty to cover me. It means having to buy CPO from a dealer but after reading this thread I don’t want to chance the car blowing up on me.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan4lyfe View Post
    I haven’t heard the B&O in the A7, but I test drove the S5 a few years ago and thought it was the best “stock” system I’d heard in that price point. Having a dedicated subwoofer control was really nice to improve bass without turning the volume up too much.

Thank you to everyone for the replies. If I go Audi I’ll make sure it has warranty to cover me. It means having to buy CPO from a dealer but after reading this thread I don’t want to chance the car blowing up on me.
    The Audi B and O system sounds better than Mercedes Harman Kardon equivalent .

If you can try and definitely get CPO from an Audi dealer with Audicare. The fluid changes for either the DSG or the diff will pay off the Audicare and then it becomes free oil changes

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

My buddy has the B and O in his rs3, destroyed my Bose in my rs4 but I’m redoing it anyway.
    I’d say it’s not the much better than the fender in my golf alltrack, I’d need some more time in it to actually know.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    My buddy has the B and O in his rs3, destroyed my Bose in my rs4 but I’m redoing it anyway.
    I’d say it’s not the much better than the fender in my golf alltrack, I’d need some more time in it to actually know.
    Bose is all over the map (but generally poor), in my Cayenne its 6-7/10, maybe 8 on a certain track. Listened to it on a 2002 SL500... unbelievable, I didn't want to get out of the car!
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Damn that RS6 is wicked, but 30k for an 18 year old high maintenance vehicle.. yikes

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My parents have Bose in their Porsche and it’s not great, probably a 6/10 for me. The individual audio in my 09 335d is probably on par or better.

My Ride
    Exploded.

That RS6 is slow tranny central. The Merc would be better proposition.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    My parents have Bose in their Porsche and it’s not great, probably a 6/10 for me. The individual audio in my 09 335d is probably on par or better.
    The sound system is my Cayenne is terrible. The worst system in all the cars I've owned. Only other system I've heard that's worst is the one in the Model 3

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    That RS6 is slow tranny central. The Merc would be better proposition.
    Yeah the 5hp24a kinda sucks. They're sort of reliable once tozo'd, but I imagine the e55 auto is way more durable.

Thaaaaat being said... C5 RS6 is a straightforward manual swap! e55 not so much...

Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I had a 2013 S4 and it was a decent car. Excellent year rounder as it does great in snow and the interior is fantastic. I do 95% of my own wrenching, but I got stumped on a DCT fluid leak and brought it to an indy shop. They got stumped too and turned it back over to me. Eventually I found and fixed the leak, but right after that my central electrics died on me at an intersection. I always carry my OBDII tool and reset the computer and was able to carry on, but as it's a daily driver for our family, I can't have my wife driving a car that behaves like that. By that point I was plenty fed up with the car and traded it in for a car with no transmission and a warranty. I joke that I had more range anxiety with the S4 than I do with the Model 3.

Quote Originally Posted by zipdoa View Post
    Yeah the 5hp24a kinda sucks. They're sort of reliable once tozo'd, but I imagine the e55 auto is way more durable.

Thaaaaat being said... C5 RS6 is a straightforward manual swap! e55 not so much...

A shop in Ontario does make a full swap kit for the E55 now. Just sayin.......

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Has Audi ever made an engine that didn’t have a serious documented issue after ~80-120k km?
    My brother owned a 2006 A3 hatchback with the VR6 from almost new for over a decade and had barely any issues with the engine or DSG so it's possible but he's an outlier. Audi's long term are probably the least reliable mainstream vehicle out there as they don't age well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    My brother owned a 2006 A3 hatchback with the VR6 from almost new for over a decade and had barely any issues with the engine or DSG so it's possible but he's an outlier. Audi's long term are probably the least reliable mainstream vehicle out there as they don't age well at all.
    That's the only engine I heard that's reliable...and DSG's only run into problems if the new, earlier, reccommended fluid changes aren't done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3