Quantcast
Greener pastures - leaving Alberta thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Greener pastures - leaving Alberta thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,323
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Greener pastures - leaving Alberta thread

    I keep seeing people GTFO'ing but nobody really talks about it.

    I'm 3 weeks into my lower mainland move. It's been interesting...

    Firmly stuck in culture shock at the moment, so different than Alberta. Into new apartment today - finding it was chaotic and not fun. Don't bother trying to rent a place from Alberta, even in covid times they want to work face to face.

    Definitely glad someone told me to go check prospective rentals at 5-6am - the homeless camps dissapear before 7am most days and most landlords are going to lie like a rug about issues in the neighborhood. I almost rented a place that was awesome in every aspect. Drove by in the morning, there was a tent setup on what would have been my patio.

    Rat, cockroach and bedbug infestations are so much more a thing here - and it's not as area driven it seems, not like Calgary where you can say avoid Marlborough or forest lawn.

    First grocery trip confused the hell out of me. What I'm expecting to see as really good sale prices in high river - seems to be more inline with regular price here? Grocery bill was about 25-30% less overall. Even with HST on top.

    Work culture I can't figure out... There's definitely no gitrdun attitude here.

    And drivers... Fraser valley people are polite and let you merge and turn and... It's wierd. Cross the Fraser river into Vancouver and it's almost demolition derby time. But yeah if you've been trapped on deerfoot on a snow day after someone crashes on the calf robe... That's just a taste of the #1 here it seems. 3+ hours in gridlock the other day, no accident - just gridlock.

    This place is wierd. I'm enjoying this adventure I will say that.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    4,009
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    I read between the lines. You say things are "different" and "weird", indirectly praising things.

    You're gonna love it there. Guaranteed.
    Enjoy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,925
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    As they say, the grass is always greener..

    Good luck with the move

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,979
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    The actual area that is Vancouver is always a cluster fuck.The highway just sucks till Abbotsford.

    But take a drive any which way and get outside of the GVRD and you see why BC and that area is great.

    Yah Calgary has the mountains... but so does that area plus more.

    You will enjoy proper seasons and spring in March and fall in September

    I live in Calgary because of necessity but would be back in BC in a heartbeat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,727
    Rep Power
    86

    Default

    I'd be more curious on grocery prices. I found produce was cheaper while manufactured or "dry groceries" were cheaper and it was closer to being even.
    Have fun - I hope it goes good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,323
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read between the lines. You say things are "different" and "weird", indirectly praising things.

    You're gonna love it there. Guaranteed.
    Enjoy.
    Like I said firmly stuck in culture shock mode. 40 years in Alberta - lower mainland is so different in almost every way.

    Only dissapointment to date has been vietnamese restaurants - none of the ones I've found sell bubble tea and the bubble tea cafes don't seem to make what I expect

    It's kind of strange being on the opposite end of the work migration flood. I remember all the Ontario people coming to Calgary in 08; now it seems that's the case in Vancouver - everyone's hiring and desperate for staff it seems.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    4,009
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Only dissapointment to date has been vietnamese restaurants - none of the ones I've found sell bubble tea and the bubble tea cafes don't seem to make what I expect
    Good observation. Our Viet quality and selection here is quite good.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,979
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be more curious on grocery prices. I found produce was cheaper while manufactured or "dry groceries" were cheaper and it was closer to being even.
    Have fun - I hope it goes good.
    Food doesn't have to travel as far and a shit ton of locally grown produce and fruit there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Airdrie
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Checking in 2 months later, still in a condo in North Van paying 3500 a month rent and still think it's worth every last penny.

    I think the craziest thing is we've broken a record for going 40 something days without rain. The only thing I can really complain about it is that it could be a tad bit cooler... though I've heard it's been pretty hot non stop in Calgary too.



    We took a 1 hour drive this Friday out to the Boundary Bay beach next to Point Robert's and no word of a lie, it felt the same as being on some quiet beach in Mexico.

    Not sure where we'll end up buying though, priced out of the north shore until our 2 older dogs pass on, then we'll be down to one and can buy a 2 bedroom apartment ...or try and buy something on one of the smaller islands.

    The mountains, meh, we hiked The Chief a couple weekends ago and my first thought was this sucks, it looks no different than Kananaskis lol... but being able to go the beach after and head downtown for dinner and sit by more beach is much better than going back home to sit in our backyard in Airdrie lol

    Traffic isn't terrible but we have the luxury of not driving during peak times...

    Buying used cars sucks here, bad selection and crazy prices... I'll be buying next car the next time I visit Calgary.

    We've also stayed away anything west of Burnaby, once you get into the Fraser Valley areas it's really no different than living in the prairies really, and the people are far worse, just jerkoffs everywhere you go, whereas almost everyone in Calgary are good people, that's what I miss the most, the people.
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey13; 08-02-2021 at 12:27 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be more curious on grocery prices. I found produce was cheaper while manufactured or "dry groceries" were cheaper and it was closer to being even.
    Have fun - I hope it goes good.
    Alberta has insane prices for groceries. We’re one of the most expensive places in NA apparently.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    @AndyL how's the utility bills like? Wondering how much they have been.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Airdrie
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Not needing much natural gas to heat our homes saves a shit load of money I'll tell you that much.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,323
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @AndyL how's the utility bills like? Wondering how much they have been.
    Not sure, resident manager complains about how crazy expensive power is - but sounds like that's <100$/2months so... Pretty much sounds like it'll be less than any bill I've ever received in Alberta.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,323
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good observation. Our Viet quality and selection here is quite good.
    Well I found this place called Mai's over by work - the vermicelli was better than anything else I've had - the lemongrass chicken was absolutely fantastic.

    Also by far the most expensive vermicelli bowl I've ever purchased (think I paid 26$+tip? For lemongrass chicken + spring rolls)
    https://g.co/kgs/ZThdrB

    Haven't found satay chicken at any of them either?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    3,241
    Rep Power
    96

    Default

    lolz at JH limiting his quality of life regarding housing. Dog people are weird motherfuckers.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 08-02-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,952
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not needing much natural gas to heat our homes saves a shit load of money I'll tell you that much.
    lol cause heating your home with electricity is superrrrrr affordable.

    Pro Tip on that one. You’re wrong. It’s just hidden in some other Bill.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Well they don't really have to turn on the heat a lot.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,979
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol cause heating your home with electricity is superrrrrr affordable.

    Pro Tip on that one. You’re wrong. It’s just hidden in some other Bill.
    Bills in BC are far more cheaper because actual usage is low and you don't pay $150 in "fees"

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    3,810
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lolz at JH limiting his quality of life regarding housing. Dog people are weird motherfuckers.
    this.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Airdrie
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lolz at JH limiting his quality of life regarding housing. Dog people are weird motherfuckers.
    Edit: oh now I get what you're referring to...ya most of the condos really close to the beach and that we could afford (1 or 2 bed) only allow 1 dog, well it's either that or ship a couple of these guys back to Calgary lol
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey13; 08-02-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canada Greener Homes Grant

    By sabad66 in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 61
    Latest Threads: 12-27-2021, 05:21 PM
  2. Lots of people leaving Alberta?

    By Masked Bandit in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 130
    Latest Threads: 09-04-2008, 02:35 PM
  3. Women are leaving Alberta...beacause...

    By Graham_A_M in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 15
    Latest Threads: 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM
  4. How Bad is leaving Winter Tires on Now?

    By GDCivicSi in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 12-29-2002, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •