Quantcast
GMC Sierra vs Toyota Tundra - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: GMC Sierra vs Toyota Tundra

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The XD Platinum I've seen has valve tick bordering on fucking diesel noise. Completely and clearly unacceptable, but Nissan says "Yo that's totes normal on the 5.6L, Brah" which is a complete load of steaming shit with a DQ swirl.
    The 21 Armada we test drove had a slight ticking, but it was nothing different from my 6.2L being a DI engine as well. I don't know, the interior was very good quality and the Titan gets good reviews from what I've seen. High praises fro the 5.6L and 9Spd combo.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    The 2.7 ecoboost has zero known long term issues beyond typical modern engine problems (carbon buildup, ignition components like coil packs and plugs). Considering the motor has been available since 2015 or 2016, I think its safe to say that its a properly designed and built engine.

The 3.5 has many issues for sure. I don't even think the 5.0L has much for issues (occasional oil consumption issues, but this is relatively rare).

But the 3.5 is very popular, so I have no doubt it seems like the Ford's have a lot of problems. Tough to pass up 400+hp and 500tq.

While I'm not sold on Ford's or F150's after having had mine for a year, the 2.7 is an incredible motor. I have zero concerns about longterm durability, which is pretty rare considering the internet will let you know if an engine has a 1% chance of having an issue.

I'm more worried about transmissions as mine still occasionally clunks and bangs, but there are so many 10 speeds out there a low mileage junkyard tranny is $1000.
    Yeah 2017+ 3.5L, and 2018+ 2.7L/5L all have direct and port injection. No carbon build up issues (that I’ve really heard of). Ford is leading the way for quite a few years here.

Can’t go wrong with any truck these days.

Why not go for a ranger tremor? Pretty damn good looking truck if you ask me.

Tows 7500 if you need it too.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Saw one of the Ranger Tremors last day pulling what I thought was a far too large trailer for it. But that makes sense. But the 68L fuel tank, ug.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Saw one of the Ranger Tremors last day pulling what I thought was a far too large trailer for it. But that makes sense. But the 68L fuel tank, ug.
    68L?! I didn’t know that - stop every 200kms lol
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

136L or gtfo,
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Tundra's been a great farm truck for us, rock solid reliability. It's averaged 16L/100km since we bought it, which is only a tad worse than the 15L on dads '19 Ram 1500 he just traded in. Check payload/towing specs to make sure it'll suit your needs, outside of that its as good as any and the V8 is rock solid proven reliability...TBD if the new gen will still have the V8 option though? I find the Tundra's interior a lot more functional than the Ram interior (more flat spaces, lots of cup holders, console is literally big enough to hang file folders, Ram has that stupid wedge thing to hold your phone) but judge for yourself.

Domestic guys love their domestics but there's a lot less mechanical troubles posted to Tundra forums than the Ford/GM forums....jus' sayin'

Also I'm 100% toyota fanboy so biased etc etc

End of the day they're all great trucks for 90% of peoples use. Any make is gonna have lemons. Get what you like.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

If this truck purchase is for towing a future trailer, I'd start at what you think you want to tow. Factor in things like payload, rear axle ratio. I think the GM will have more options for robust towing packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Yeah 2017+ 3.5L, and 2018+ 2.7L/5L all have direct and port injection. No carbon build up issues (that I’ve really heard of). Ford is leading the way for quite a few years here.
    Pretty sure Lexus was already doing DI and port injection in 2006 (IS350).

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by richardchan2002 View Post
    Pretty sure Lexus was already doing DI and port injection in 2006 (IS350).
    Trucks though.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    68L?! I didn’t know that - stop every 200kms lol
    Supposedly the 2.3 ecoboost gets pretty decent mpg towing. I watched a test on youtube, wish I could find it again, but probably 450-500km range towing a flat deck with vehicle.

Thats inline with basically any gm gas truck for the past 30 years, unless the new ones finally have a bigger tank?

136L tank in the F150 is incredible. 1250kms on a tank is best I've done. Do 700-800 towing an open car trailer.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will do a test drive on both and go from there. I am waiting for the 2022 Tundra first. This will take some time. Thanks again!
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3