Quantcast
Shock a Water Well. WtF? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shock a Water Well. WtF?

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Invest in a UV light purification system

@Maxt

Sound like @ExtraSlow slow has competition for well servicing.
    Your way sounds correct and makes sense.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I think we should also mention that pouring bleach right into the well will kill off bacteria meaning there will be less bugs to multiply in the future. So although the main benefit might be in the pipes, you're reducing the overall count at the source. #hydraulicfracturing101
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think he needs a good biocide squeeze. None of this rookie down the backside shit.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think he needs a good biocide squeeze. None of this rookie down the backside shit.
    I prefer to pretreat at surface then quick kill down the well but I've been accused of being a fancy girl before
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    something green

There were some systems on the market that did continual chlorination on well water systems. Both my houses i've had on wells had poly B piping, so continual chlorination was not a good idea. I just do the shock once a year, and then flush the chlorinated water through the house mains and out through the sink that has a hose connection. I don't put the chlorinated flush water down the septic system, the septic tank needs the bacteria to work properly and loads of chlorine will sanitize the septic tank, which is what you don't want.
    I used sodium hypochlorite at 12%, if using clothes bleach, you have to be careful it's not scented bleach, one of my neighbors used scented bleach and the scent stayed around for quite some time.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Pour a gallon of poisonous bleach directly into my drinking water well. Run the taps to circulate it through my system and let it sit. Run taps "for awhile" and then start drinking it again.

How The Fuck is this a thoroughly recommended and frequently used procedure!???!

If I'm drinking shit, I don't think cleaning my straw before I drink more shit is going to do much.

What do others know that I don't?
    Bleach is highly concentrated chlorine in water.
    As chlorine "kills" microbes / organics it is consumed, so the once it sits for a little while the free chlorine will drop significantly

It's safe bud, just don't drink bleach out of the bottle

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post
    Bleach is highly concentrated chlorine in water.
    As chlorine "kills" microbes / organics it is consumed, so the once it sits for a little while the free chlorine will drop significantly

It's safe bud, just don't drink bleach out of the bottle
    Apparently... I followed the recommended/combined advice from a variety of sources and poured half a gallon of poisonous bleach directly into my well with 5gal of water and then chased through each outlet until I smelled chlorine before shutting them off. Then the other half gallon with 5gal of water and let that sit for minimum 8hr.
    Then I ran the hose until I couldn't smell chlorine out to the road so it wouldn't kill my clover and dandelion fiasco lawn and also not poison my septic tank. Then ran all taps until no smell. Took water sample about 2 days later and she's zeroes across the board.

A plumber charged about $200 for this earlier and within a week we had dookie back in the water so I'm going to manage this myself moving forward. I'm getting syphon hose and an easier system going so I don't have to struggle to pour a 5gal pail into a tiny hole and some other things to make it easier. Hopefully with more regular treatments, I can use way way less chlorine and keep ahead of the E.Coli and Coliform.

I still can't believe that the options are either "just use Javex" or "go get some creepy pool chemical pucks" for fucking potable water that human children drink, but whatever... Directly across from me, my friend's got shocked twice by TehExPeRt PlUmMer in order to pass and when I just tested his again, it also failed. Is there a truer statement in life than "using a 'professional' just means you paid them to do it"?
    It's a weird thing, but I can come to terms with it. The water here is the most succulent, delicious water I've ever had in my life, ever. It's amazing! This is such a strange place.

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

We are on a well, with slow output at 1 GPM. We have a 500 gallon cistern in basement. Had a Wolfe Mountain tank cleaning company over to wash cistern, and he showed us a pink slime growing in cistern, that was from iron bacteria.

Aside from doing chlorine shock, which was done, they recommend getting a whole house water treatment system.

The product they used for shocking was a powdered chemical called Stereline.

Does anyone have one of these system? There's a variety of types at a range of costs, wondering what the least expensive option that will still be effective.

Any suggestions or real experience with different types of treatment?

Costco advertises a system from Kinetico, any experience with this brand, would you recommend it?
    Last edited by cidley69; 08-01-2022 at 10:01 AM.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    We are on a well, with slow output at 1 GPM. We have a 500 gallon cistern in basement. Had a Wolfe Mountain tank cleaning company over to wash cistern, and he showed us a pink slime growing in cistern, that was from iron bacteria.

Aside from doing chlorine shock, which was done, they recommend getting a whole house water treatment system.

Does anyone have one of these system? There's a variety of types at a range of costs, wondering what the least expensive option that will still be effective.

Costco advertises a system from Kinetico, any experience with this brand, would you recommend it?
    I have a fairly simple filter upstream of a UV light that is supposed to help with minor issues. They're not cheap and the UV bulbs have limited life that needs to be managed.
    The chlorine shocking should be killing iron bacteria issues along with anything else.

Dose makes the poison.

The product they used for shocking was a powdered chemical called Stereline.

Are you able to let me know what you paid to have done what you are talking about? Did you notice a flow improvement?

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Are you able to let me know what you paid to have done what you are talking about? Did you notice a flow improvement?
    The service cost $650 plus a $1.75/km fuel surcharge (ours was 60 km distance charged). This was for cistern pressure wash, flush, treatment with disinfectant, and a final flush. They added Stereline to well and cleaned the water softener resevoir for no additional cost.

There was no noticable difference in flow, but with having a cistern, we have no flow concerns to start with, water pressure in the house is really strong.

Do you use water tratment? What type?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

The home we moved into a month ago has a slow producing well, there's a cistern setup in our utility room and for the water setup there is a Kinetico water softener setup as well as a peroxide injection setup in place.

I need to talk to the companies that installed the gear to get a better understanding but this is what is in place here

https://westcountrypumpandfiltration...ide-injection/

The service cost $650 plus a $1.75/km fuel surcharge (ours was 60 km distance charged). This was for cistern pressure wash, flush, treatment with disinfectant, and a final flush. They added Stereline to well and cleaned the water softener resevoir for no additional cost.

There was no noticable difference in flow, but with having a cistern, we have no flow concerns to start with, water pressure in the house is really strong.

Do you use water tratment? What type?
    That is exactly what I wanted to know! We have a storage cistern in the basement too that the well pumps into, then the house is fed by a second pump after the fact. I think our water pressure is fine but sometimes I question if there would be improved flow because we too get a bit of iron bacteria buildup.

We have a deep (almost 300 foot) reliable well and other than the iron bacteria our water is perfect otherwise year after year (tested), and since iron bacteria is not an issue for consumption what-so-ever, and the taste (at least for us) is completely unaffected we have never bothered with a water treatment system, but I do want to have a good clean done through the cistern and all the pipes. What you did sounds about right!

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Not sure if they service your area but I highly recommend Titan Water Systems. We have a well (12gpm), followed by a pressure tank, then into iron filter, and finally a softener. All installed and maintained by them. They’ve been great

Edit: by great I mean he is always available by text to answer the stupidest questions, brings in big blue filters and O-rings I can’t find anywhere, and even helped me when choosing new hot water system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2