Quantcast
20x30 Garage Reno (2 lifts) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 20x30 Garage Reno (2 lifts)

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Default 20x30 Garage Reno (2 lifts)

I just took possession of my new-to-me home. It has a 20ft deep x 30ft wide triple attached garage. The important thing is the ceiling is 12.5ft high, so 1 or 2 lifts are planned.

A few other features in mind are:
    - I-beam above non-lift parking stall, with an electric winch that rolls along the I-beam. My 2 friends have the same thing. For me, it's to lift my snowmobile out of my truck, and potentially lift other crap. 1000lb max. I'm sure I'll have it opening my beers too.
    - Finished floor. I was thinking HD vinyl planks, but I'm worried about the durability. So epoxy is the route in mind now. Metallic marble.
    - High lift doors with side motors. New garage doors too.
    - Sink with hot/cold
    - All new cabinets, vinyl wrapped some color to be matchy.
    - There's no drain at the moment. I'll ask my general contractor the cost to install one. I'd love a french drain that runs left to right just inside the garage doors, but I suspect that'll be cost prohibitive.
    - Potentially a mezzanine for storage above the cabinet/toolbench area for storage. There'd be ~7ft under the mezzanine, and ~5.5ft above it to the ceiling. My ultra-dream is to use the electric winch to lift my 500lb snowmobile up, and I can store it on the mezzanine.
    - Gas heater needs to be added.
    - Not yet insulated and partially drywalled, so that needs to occur.
    - Also for the mezzanine idea, I'd like to hide the stored contents from sight using a sliding panel system that uses a simple trolley system suspended from the ceiling.
    - Lights: My current 1,500sqft garage has 130,000lumens of LED lights. For this smaller garage reno, I'm leaning towards those led hex-lights on Alibaba. The kits are each 15ftx8ft and use 500watts, which is a lot, but they're hella bright and have a badass pattern.
    - Car wash setup: I'll be getting a deionizing setup and a wall mount pressure washer system for hot/cold.
    - Walls: Likely corrugated metal siding. It's only $1/sqft at Uncle Wieners. I was also thinking of a reclaimed wood board pattern for the walls, but not sure how that'll go with the fancy marble-looking floors.

Any other brainstorm ideas? I'll post a now-picture when I'm at the place next. It's about to have a full reno done on the house.

Name:  Garagelayout.JPG
Views: 1193
Size:  80.2 KB
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - Sink with hot/cold
    Urinal

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If they are for car storage any reason you wouldn’t go with a double lift instead of 2 lifts?

Genuinely curious, figured it minimizes the intrusion of pillars into your space when makes parking under less tight?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    If they are for car storage any reason you wouldn’t go with a double lift instead of 2 lifts?

Genuinely curious, figured it minimizes the intrusion of pillars into your space when makes parking under less tight?
    I thought about it. I don't like the fact if I have all 4 spots full, that I have to remove BOTH cars from the lower level just to get 1 car off the top shelf.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Have you decided on 2 post or 4 post lifts yet? It would be good to know that before you start making other planning decisions.

Also for ideas, here's the rennlist garage thread with a couple hundred pages of ideas for you (also some really cool cars). https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ur-garage.html

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

If you can find good pricing on beams let me know. I have a 24 footish span I would like a beam for but they are stupid money.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Will do. I have a friend in construction, so I'll see what he can help me come up with for I-beams.

Came across Levrack. Super cool but about $6,800US for the sample here.
    Name:  ULB-Gallery6.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  105.0 KB
    Current Cars:
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee

My Ride
    V167

Look forward to your updates. I have a similar setup and need to figure out storage for kid stuff + yard stuff.

Funny you post that Levrack. I've been thinking of making that larger rack/work bench by modding a storage rack.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hus...ack/1001131794

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    Look forward to your updates. I have a similar setup and need to figure out storage for kid stuff + yard stuff.

Funny you post that Levrack. I've been thinking of making that larger rack/work bench by modding a storage rack.
    man get a shed for yard stuff, keep it away from the rarrrrrrrri!!

Ekliptix i love the excel drawing haha. too bad it wasn't a couple feet deeper, but sounds like you're going to have a sweet garage, look forward to seeing it.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post

Instead of a custom mezzanine (I beams, posts), now I'm thinking of a few pallet/storage racks instead. I want' em 48" deep though. I'd put my work bench, cabinets under them, and stack heavy crap up top of the racks. Most racks I'm seeing online are only 24" deep tho.

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    man get a shed for yard stuff, keep it away from the rarrrrrrrri!!
    Ekliptix i love the excel drawing haha. too bad it wasn't a couple feet deeper, but sounds like you're going to have a sweet garage, look forward to seeing it.
    Agreed, I wish it was more then 20' deep. I can't park my 3/4 ton inside. I was thinking of of having the garage door openings extended 4ft to make it 24' deep, but I think I'll just live with 20' deep for now and park the big truck outside. Definitely not room to park the 3/4 ton + sled deck inside.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Watching.

I need motivation to finish my garage. I 100% stalled out after paint and lights. Epoxying the floors (and those big $$'s) is holding up cabinets and really finishing everything.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    Instead of a custom mezzanine (I beams, posts), now I'm thinking of a few pallet/storage racks instead. I want' em 48" deep though. I'd put my work bench, cabinets under them, and stack heavy crap up top of the racks. Most racks I'm seeing online are only 24" deep tho.

Agreed, I wish it was more then 20' deep. I can't park my 3/4 ton inside. I was thinking of of having the garage door openings extended 4ft to make it 24' deep, but I think I'll just live with 20' deep for now and park the big truck outside. Definitely not room to park the 3/4 ton + sled deck inside.
    If I’m reading that excel diagram correctly, you’ll also be down more depth because of cabinets.

Gonna be tight with lift posts there too. Might be limited to one lift.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2008 Z06

^ I agree it's not as deep as I want.

With 20' total garage depth:
    - Lift is 14ft 7in deep (no ramps).
    - My 2x classic trucks are each 15ft 8in in overall lenth. Wheelbase is 9ft 7in.
    - If I use 4ft in front of the trucks for cabinets and a workbench (2ft deep + 2ft for walking) with a 4ft mezzanine on top, that leaves a scary small 4in between the front of the trucks and the 'work area'.

Should this limited garage 20ft depth make this arrangement too tight, I think my options are:
    1) pay to have the garage door 'mouth' modified and extended out to the driveway 2-3 feet, giving me more room in front of the trucks. $$$.
    2) re think the mezzanine plan. Use a 2nd lift not to put a car on, but as a mezzanine for storage. Fill in the runways with steel flooring. Kind of ugly, but functional.
    3) shrink the mezzanine from 4ft to 3ft deep, freeing up some clearance between the parked vehicles on the lifts.

I'll have a better idea of room-juggling once I have 1 lift in there, while I can shuffle it around and test fit some parking.
    At the moment, I'm moving ahead with having the garage insulated, heated, & drywalled.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

I just wanted to comment that I have never seen a layout done in excel. I kinda like it. Screw you google sketchup!

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

You could buy pallet racks off of uline, basically will sell everything in parts. 36" to 48" depth up to 144" tall.

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1486/Pallet-Racks

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I'm not sure if it would help for your overall plans but, my old garage was 20x20 and to deal with space constraints I built a small but very beefy folding bench out of 1" square tubing that bolted to the studs. The same setup could be scaled up in length or multiplied for your application.

Name:  nKa15Ly.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  159.3 KB
    Name:  80z4HD6.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  179.1 KB
    Name:  x5ZbOop.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  97.4 KB
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

That looks good. And it reminds me I'll need to get a stick welder for my new shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    You could buy pallet racks off of uline, basically will sell everything in parts. 36" to 48" depth up to 144" tall.
    https://www.uline.ca/BL_1486/Pallet-Racks
    This is great, lots of sizes. Thank you.

Considering pallet racks, I'd get a 4ft deep x 8ft long for the right side to put the snowmobile on top, with a work-table underneath. And a duplicate of this on the opposite wall as shown.
    To the left I'd put 2x 3ft deep x 12ft long racks with cabinets underneath and more storage on top.
    Current Cars:
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee

One of the best things I've seen done is a buddy made wooden hanging shelving that is right up against the entire ceiling of his garage.

I'll see if I can find a picture, but it gives so much extra storage space.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you are doing the big shelving systems, like pallet racks etc, you want to set up some lighting on them. Easiest is the IKEA strip lights, but there's obviously a lot of ways to do it. Don't need the brightest, but removing the shadows from the shelves will change your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I like neat cars.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast