Quantcast
New Laptop Assistance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New Laptop Assistance

Default New Laptop Assistance

Figured I would try my luck here for some help, seems in the past quite a few users up to date on the laptop market.

It looks like after about 8 years or so my Asus laptop is starting to struggle with the simplest of operations. With that said my current laptop is the Asus G750JX for a benchmarkhttps://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...50jx_db71.html

Some background for the laptop usage:
    - Citrix remote login and operating bluebeam locally too with a few other common work programs open (O&G engineering software, some simulations, Smartplant, etc.)
    - familiar with 17" but if a far better value/model for my needs is at 15" would consider
    - potential for gaming if I decide to take it up to the site camp as it gets a bit boring with the 480i tvs/limited channels available. if something in my budget can play warzone without risking destroying it that would be a bonus but not a requirement as this is a sunk cost I was hoping would ride out a bit longer into the year

My first thoughts are to get a 3rd consecutive Asus at memory express, my past 2 have been which got me through the last 15 years so the brand definitely has my loyalty. My budget range is ideally capped at $2000 but would gladly take a great deal for less than that. If something is slightly above and worth the premium I did this last time with great results also.

With that being said what would be some top recommendations on the market these days. I've heard positive reviews about MSI as well, my brother got one for work about 6 months ago but that is not long enough for a good bench mark.
    Any advice/deals/alternatives etc would be greatly appreciated. Based upon the recent dips in my laptops performance I've been backing up my laptop onto an external this evening and possibly buy a new one this week or in the upcoming 1-2 weeks. Not sure if its a good or bad time with the back to school approaching plus covid WFH life appears to have sky rocketed prices from what I recalled.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I bought an ASUS TUF last year with a ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 in it for $800 and I'm very impressed. I would go up to the version with a 3060 mobile if possible. Apparently the 3050 is a joke.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...506QM-ES74http

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

My vote was for the 5900HS+3060 equipped Zephyrus G15, but a quick google tells me that it's basically vaporware in Canada.

My Ride
    is broken

Pretty big Lenovo ThinkPad fan here. Solid machines without any gimics or bogus features.
    I actually just bought this machine for work:
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00117741

Plus an extra 8GB of ram its pretty kick ass. 8/16 core processor, easy keyboard. USB- C charging is convenient. Super light and long battery life.

If you want to game also I would suggest a Legion laptop:
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00117844

Unfortunate, 17in laptop are pretty well dead unless you want something outdate, pricey, or bulky.

Asus G15, nothing can touch it for value at the moment.

A more premium option would be the MSI Z16 if you can live with Intel.

Lenovo Legion 5/5pro are very high value as well but they are thicker and more gaming focused. If that doesn't bother you, then they are hard to beat for the components you get for the money.

The problem is finding any laptop worth buying right now is simply impossible.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My brother bought an XPS17 for literally the same purpose you are quoting and he seems to like it. They also appear to be in stock.

Couldn’t tell you how they compare to others, but have the benefit of being a reasonable form factor and doesn’t light up like cheap Vegas strip joint when you turn it on haha.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Thanks for the reply's, I was reading them over the weekend as I checked around. I did not realize how abysmal the stock was in Calgary. Memory Express had hardly anything I wanted. The Lenovo and legions etc. seemed great but I could not locate stock.

I was lucky enough to snag this one on Amazon for $1999 just before they sold out. Asus ROG Strix G17 Gaming Laptop - 17.3 Inch - RTX 3070 - G713QR-ES96
    Was a bit more than I had ideally wanted to spend but should be safe to run bluebeam/CAD/Smart plant etc without skipping a beat for a good while.
    It is definitely not the perfect one as lots of the manufacturers have removed webcams and other small features due to either shortages or change in common design? But happy with it, should also play warzone easily too

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    manufacturers have removed webcams due to shortages
    No... you're so wrong. They did it for YOU for YOUR privacy.

Asus started removing webcams on some of their gaming laptops before COVID. The early 2020 models didn't have them either.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    No... you're so wrong. They did it for YOU for YOUR privacy.
    To be fair I did pose it as a question because I wasn't sure. I haven't followed the impacts of everything from covid or if it was design changes. But good to know from you and Mitsu. I'll just have to snag an extra webcam to have at the home office for teams/webex meetings etc now.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Subbed. I'm looking for a new laptop too.

Been rocking an HP EliteBook 840 G2 for many years now. I don't use it for much and could likely squeeze some more years out of it with a fresh Windows install and a newer SSD.

I was at Costco this past weekend and noticed an Acer on display with a GTX 1650. Forgot the other specs and it was $999