Quantcast
JDM import - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JDM import

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Default JDM import

Has anyone imported any car from Japan recently? Looking to understand basics from auction, condition etc and if the savings on DIY are worth it vs say going through an importer.

Feel free to pm or post and we can chat. Thanks!

My Ride
    E46 M3

Were e you able to get in contact with anyone? I am also interested in learning more about DIY vs paying $1000 for an importer to do work.

My Ride
    *The First*

Also interested.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Is anything even remotely affordable anymore like it used to be or has everything went sky high in pricing too?

My Ride
    Por-shuh

I've imported two vehicles, most recent one was in November 2020. Prices are still very reasonable and it is well worth using an importer. Will Baird from jdmconnection.ca makes the process very easy. The prices of jdm's have not went up crazy amounts like domestic sales, except for stuff like evos and supras which are crazy.
    Don’t take your anger out on the Paul Revere’s spreading the truth about the Big V. Take your anger out on those who coerced you, and encouraged you to sacrifice yourself for the globalist end game.

Will is definitely the guy to deal with.

As for pricing, I don't think the concern is the vehicles themselves. Shipping costs have gone up, but car transport (which are special ships) vs container I am unsure.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I would very highly recommend Brian at B-pro imports. I bought my (legal at the time) 1999 Suzuki Carry through him, process was perfect. His fees were minimal and I ended up with the perfect truck given my budget at the time. He gave me a dozen trucks to choose from.

Bought it for $5k all in sold it for $6500 5 years later. His parts supply for it after were on point.

Edit here
    https://b-pro.ca/
    Only reason I sold it was because I bought an 04 gmc sieŕra fully loaded, regular cab with the long 8ft box for a song and a dance. Still have it to this day. It's utterly mint. Love it to bits.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 10-11-2021 at 01:39 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_A_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would very highly recommend Brian at B-pro imports. I bought my (legal at the time) 1999 Suzuki Carry through him, process was perfect. His fees were minimal and I ended up with the perfect truck given my budget at the time. He gave me a dozen trucks to choose from.

Bought it for $5k all in sold it for $6500 5 years later. His parts supply for it after were on point.

Edit here
    https://b-pro.ca/
    Only reason I sold it was because I bought an 04 gmc sieŕra fully loaded, regular cab with the long 8ft box for a song and a dance. Still have it to this day. It's utterly mint. Love it to bits.
    I'm really tempted to go this route for a little shop truck. All the landed Kei trucks are priced through the roof, quite ridiculous

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I'm really tempted to go this route for a little shop truck. All the landed Kei trucks are priced through the roof, quite ridiculous
    Do it. The little Carry cost $5k best truck ever for everything under 330kg nothing to operate. Honestly. I loved how much attention it got. Amazing advertising piece.i was going to swap the engine for a 05 yamaha R1 engine, which I still have, 200hp in the truck would have been a blast but lost interest.

I used to use it as the shop truck where I used to work. Great for picking up and dropping off shit. The fold down box worked great. I picked up countless items way more weight then I should have. It just dealt with it and went
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 10-11-2021 at 03:09 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_A_M View Post
    Do it. The little Carry cost $5k best truck ever for everything under 330kg nothing to operate. Honestly. I loved how much attention it got. Amazing advertising piece.i was going to swap the engine for a 05 yamaha R1 engine, which I still have, 200hp in the truck would have been a blast but lost interest.

I used to use it as the shop truck where I used to work. Great for picking up and dropping off shit. The fold down box worked great. I picked up countless items way more weight then I should have. It just dealt with it and went
    Thats basically all I want. I've moved far too much stuff on the roof rack of my fiesta and definitely over the weight capacity. Having a bed would make moving material so much easier.

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Importing a vehicle from Japan?

Has anyone done this as a DIY? I know the vehicle has to be 15 yrs old at least and there are companies that do it, however, curious to see if someone has done everything as a DIY and if it's doable or not worth the headache? Seems like something fun to try on the face of it, but without knowing the exact specifics it may actually be a pain in the ass so just trying to understand the process.

I know the general overview of the process, but not the specifics. Thanks.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Just call B-PRO and they'll deal with everything

My Ride
    *The First*

*end of P-car countdown officially begins...

My Ride
    Trucks

I overnighted an entire vehicle from Japan once.

Biggest issue I have heard of is having someone on the other side confirming the actual condition of the vehicle.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I overnighted an entire vehicle from Japan once.
    That has become prohibitively expensive in the last 6 or so months... Like 4-5x what it normally is.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    That has become prohibitively expensive in the last 6 or so months... Like 4-5x what it normally is.
    Not sure if serious…
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Not sure if serious…
    Yes, serious... Though to be fair, not sure if relevant to Shak's inquiry.

Darrel_n posted about "overnighting" a car from Japan, which implies air freight... The rates for air freighting cars out of Asia has skyrocketed recently, to the point where it's not merely expensive, but prohibitively so for all but the most expensive vehicles.

To be fair, the vast majority of vehicle exports from Japan / Asia are sea canned. Those rates have also increased, but not to the same degree... Just wanted to point out that "overnighting" a car from Japan probably isn't a viable option right now... We all know how patient Shak can be
    Last edited by you&me; 01-31-2022 at 01:20 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Fast and furious bruh

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I've done it a few times, a sealed container with 3 cars as well as single cars open deck. It's a pretty straight forward process. Best thing is to get a company in Japan that will do everything for you on their end as well as export documentation etc. I am not sure if the companies I used are still in business.

If going with the single car open deck, the arrival location is in Vancouver so you have to either do the import paperwork there, pretty easy just have to deal with the Form 1, and customs inspections (agriculture/customs inspections etc) from the federal govt and then the the shipping company releases the car to you. Or you can arrange to have the vehicle shipped In Bond to CGY/EDM with a bonded transporter. They will also handle your soil inspections and Form 1 etc. It's the easiest method.

Once the car gets in your hands, you get it insured and an in-transit sticker from registries. Registries will need the Form 1 and insurance. The completed Form 1 becomes your "bill of sale".

After that comes Out of Province inspection etc and once that passes you have your JDM.

Pitfalls to AVOID along the way:
    - Get a GOOD company in Japan to source your car, either auction or private.
    - Plan out your Bonded agent etc. before your car leaves Japan. It can accrue fees sitting at the destination shipping dock.
    - If clearing the car in Vancouver, get it at least looked at in Vancouver before you drive across the mountains with it.
    - Talk to your OOP inspection facility before taking your car there, some are picky about running lights etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast