Quantcast
Medical leave request. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Medical leave request.

Maybe try contacting Dr. Matthew Cook?
    I have only heard him on Ben Greenfield's podcast. But I believe he does phone consults.
    Portion of the podcast was on back and knees. Worth a listen.

https://bioresetpodcast.com/killing-...r-matt-cook-2/

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Thanks for the info all. I’ll dig into it a bit today.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fuck back surgery is scary shit...

I personally was told I needed it a 25 years ago by one doctor, but then another I trusted said to try and avoid it in any way possible as long as you can. Do chiro, massage, acupuncture, or anything non-drug related until you have exhausted all hope before getting surgery. I still have periods of trouble with my back to be sure but for the most part it has been manageable with work and I have yet to get the surgery.

Yes I know people who have had great improvements to their lives from it but I also know others who have ended up way worse off and now live an incredibly debilitated life. One guy even committed suicide after the results and living in such pain and an incredibly limited existence after having surgery go wrong.

Truly make sure it is 100% necessary because it can, and does go wrong for enough people that it warrants a lot of research and dedication. That kind of shit you can't come back from if you are one of the unlucky where as you may be able to manage quite well with some work and changes in how you do some things.
    Jeesh, are you going to tell him about the chances of death from the anesthesia the day before he goes under the knife

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Jeesh, are you going to tell him about the chances of death from the anesthesia the day before he goes under the knife
    Not gonna lie... I am already freaked about that. I have never went under general anesthesia before.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Done it 5 times now and one epidural for the last one. I don't think epidural is an option for back surgery.

Literally, you have full control. Can walk out of the er if you change your mind last minute. Probably puts your 2nd surgery very low on list but it is an option.

Just know you have some options. I ask not to have arms strapped down until I'm asleep. Advocate for yourself. Worst they can say is no.

Can tell nurses in the pre-surgery room you're very nervous or if you're panic attacking let them know. There's drugs for that.

OR nurses and docs are a different breed. Pretty light hearted and jokes all around. Anesthesiologists are funny too but maybe that's the gas in the mask haha.

I also ask for zofran for anti-nausea after surgery. They load you up with that and reduces your risk of vomiting post surgery. Just try to explain all your pain, symptoms, worries to the staff as they can't read minds.

After surgery, you'll be very cold. They'll take good care of you. That is the oddest part is coming out of surgery. Your different senses connect to your brain at different rates. Hearing, sight, smell, etc. Some people get very emotional even weeks after can feel like crying or anger or depression. It's all normal.

Geez I should be a pre surgery consultant. Haha

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    Not gonna lie... I am already freaked about that. I have never went under general anesthesia before.
    Before my back surgery , I asked the anesthesiologist and she suggested it was 1 per 150,000 have some type of issue but, there are usually underlying conditions that contribute to it. You probably have a higher chance of getting into a small fender bender driving home from the hospital after the surgery.

Just take a lot of comfort knowing that the pain you feel walking into the OR is going to be totally gone when you wake up. It's an amazing feeling to hobble into a room with constant pain in your back, legs, groin and tight muscles that haven't been relaxed for months and then waking up and realizing your foot/leg isn't numb and your groin doesn't feel like someone is hitting it with a hammer. I had 3 back surgeries and after the first one, I made sure to try and remember how miserable I felt walking into that OR and what exactly my symptoms were and then comparing to how I felt a few hours after waking up. Even though your back will be in pain from the incision, you will immediately notice that all those other nerve related problems are gone.

If you have issues with hard poops, make sure you take some Metamucil with you to eat with meals at the hospital. The pain killers constipate you and it's pretty easy to have issues. I was in more pain from the constipation than from the surgery and almost had to to back into the hospital.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Wow OP that sounds super aggressive, good luck man. As far as anesthesia goes, if something actually goes wrong you'll never know anyway but it's rare. Personally I've never thought twice about it. Good luck getting healthy, that's a rough go.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Thanks for the words of wisdom all.

yah, I just need to get this done and put it all behind me. Hopefully sooner than later. Most days consist of me just laying around. I hired out snow removal for my place from mid-December onwards because I can't do that crap. It's actually very nice.

I just want to get it done and get back to doing stuff I actually want to do.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 10:44 AM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
    Holy! If you don't mind sharing what is going on with your back?
    I ruptured some discs in my low back over a decade ago, what a treat it has been.
    Some issues with my lower back, around the tailbone area. They could see it on the xrays or whatever medical imaging I went thru. Been kind of fighting with it since Sept. 2020, but it only became unmanageable around the beginning of August. Went to a doctor in Jan. 2021 but that visit went literally nowhere, seemed like he didn't really care. Surgeon I had a consult with confirmed with my doctor @ end of August and put me on a waitlist for the surgery. Apparently the operation itself isn't too horrible but the recovery isn't fun. Have to get the homecare nurses to stop by every day for a couple weeks they tell me.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 10:40 AM.

Get your things in order prior. You'll never get it all done 100%
    Clean up your house of tripping hazards.
    Put things so you're not bending to get them.
    Do any errands or running around you need. Expect you won't be leaving the house for a month nor feel up to doing much.
    Pick up snacks to eat in middle of the night so you're not taking meds on empty stomach. Handful of Costco mixed nuts or something. Unsure if you're on your own but maybe buy soups or easy to make food.

After surgery, set repeating alarms on phone to keep pain meds taken around the clock.
    Those are the tips I can think of right now.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Well, got carved up last Friday. Had it done privately at Okanagan Surgical Centre in Kelowna. Experience was good, I'd go back there.

Two separate incisions. One is 9 inches long. Stitched back together. Being put under was a trip, like time travel. One second, the medical staff in the OR were talking to me and suddenly the next second, I'm waking up in an entirely different room a few hours later. My lower back and ass is basically covered by huge bandages. Can only stand or lay flat on my stomach for now, which is really annoying.

Have the homecare nurses from Lacombe looking after me. Pain isn't bad at all. Just more sore than anything. Surgeon prescribed me some opioids but I haven't needed to take them.

I have just been taking it as easy as I can. Now I'm just praying that this solves the issue.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride

I sure hope you can get back to a normal pain free/mobile life man, if I lost the ability to sport/compete/play I can't imagine what that would do to my mental health. I blew a knee in October on top of some bad tendon/ligament issues in hip/shoulder and those 3-4 months of doing almost nothing were fucking terrible.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Well, got carved up last Friday. Had it done privately at Okanagan Surgical Centre in Kelowna. Experience was good, I'd go back there.

Two separate incisions. One is 9 inches long. Stitched back together. Being put under was a trip, like time travel. One second, the medical staff in the OR were talking to me and suddenly the next second, I'm waking up in an entirely different room a few hours later. My lower back and ass is basically covered by huge bandages. Can only stand or lay flat on my stomach for now, which is really annoying.

Have the homecare nurses from Lacombe looking after me. Pain isn't bad at all. Just more sore than anything. Surgeon prescribed me some opioids but I haven't needed to take them.

I have just been taking it as easy as I can. Now I'm just praying that this solves the issue.
    Ditto what Cool Lude said.

Glad you don't have much pain, not taking opioids is always preferable to taking them, but don't let pain hamper your recovery either - if you absolutely must, take whatever you were prescribed. Again, very glad for you that you don't need them so far. It must suck having to lay on your stomach, hopefully you may be able to at least lay on one side shortly - I'd go bananas if I couldn't lay on my back or side.

Homecare has been great for both my mother and father, their nurses in my pop's home town have been excellent, very proficient, capable, knowledgeable, and most of all friendly/kind. Physio nurse is actually here at my father's helping him with hip replacement rehab as I'm typing this, and she's fantastic, has my dad laughing even which is a very rare occurrence these days considering his 2021 (2 emergency hip replacements (one was to fix the 1st after a brutal fall), 65 days in the ICU thanks to the Chinese Communist Party/Covid, and another 30+ days in the regular hospital recovering from the above).

16Hypen - we used a private clinic for my father's MRIs here in Sask, and I wouldn't hesitate to spend $ out of pocket for private exams surgeries again, for him or myself. Glad you had a good experience - I can relate to the time travel bit, I have to get a colonoscopy (blah) every year since my colon cancer, and it's always a bit of a mind bender being mid conversation one place, and then be in another room with some other person asking you how you feel an instant later. At least I don't get the spins going under any longer, hah.

We'll be pulling for you 16, hope and pray your surgery was successful and you get back to a place where you were before in happier times. This is something I relate to as well, and it's been a long haul to get back to where I can finally start lifting, walking/jogging, and swimming (happened first) again. You'll get there!
    Last edited by Gman.45; 03-21-2022 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride

^ little known fact, the "C" in my name is for charger! But I am VERY cool, no argument there. Source? My mom.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Glad to hear you are on the mend. My lumbar fusion was a game changer. I wasn't allowed on my stomach at all and slept on my back/side for about 6 months after mine.

Take it easy on your recovery. At least you are into warm weather and hopefully no snow. You can go for walks outside and not worry about slipping on ice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Surgeon prescribed me some opioids but I haven't needed to take them.
    Glad to hear you are healing up well and the outlook is good.

I quoted the above for this reason. Don't take them. I am super paranoid about these kind of painkillers. Man up, grit through the pain with normal pain medication. I know I have an addictive personality, and being honest to myself, I know I could very easily be one of those people walking down the street outside of Chinook with a sign saying god bless because of those kind of pills.

When I was in the hospital for my appendix, the doctors and nurses were all incredulous that I was in so much pain but refusing the morphine drip and just gritting my teeth. It was there, hooked up to my IV, i just had to push the button... Super happy I didn't push it. Same thing with my big truck accident. Doc gave me some crazy pain meds, oxycodone i think, I never even filled the prescription.

You may be different than I am, but, I tell anyone that will listen the same thing. Don't use them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    ^ little known fact, the "C" in my name is for charger! But I am VERY cool, no argument there. Source? My mom.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Glad to hear you are healing up well and the outlook is good.

I quoted the above for this reason. Don't take them. I am super paranoid about these kind of painkillers. Man up, grit through the pain with normal pain medication. I know I have an addictive personality, and being honest to myself, I know I could very easily be one of those people walking down the street outside of Chinook with a sign saying god bless because of those kind of pills.

When I was in the hospital for my appendix, the doctors and nurses were all incredulous that I was in so much pain but refusing the morphine drip and just gritting my teeth. It was there, hooked up to my IV, i just had to push the button... Super happy I didn't push it. Same thing with my big truck accident. Doc gave me some crazy pain meds, oxycodone i think, I never even filled the prescription.

You may be different than I am, but, I tell anyone that will listen the same thing. Don't use them.

- - - Updated - - -

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Percocet with 2 Tylenol T3's and 600mg of Ibuprofen is what allowed me to walk out of the hospital about 7 hours after I broke my back in late 2005 - certainly I can tell how something like Percocet can be addictive as it just kind of washes over you from head to toes and you go to your happy place.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Aside from being sore from the operation, I feel pretty good.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast