Quantcast
Medical leave request. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical leave request.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Medical leave request.

Hey guys,

Some of you may have seen a post recently from me in a Covid thread mentioning that I have developed a lower back issue that supposedly requires surgery. I had went to my doctor in mid June about this first but the issue goes as far back as Sept. of last year. He recommended some medical imaging and a consult with a general surgeon. At that time, the surgeon wasn't available to even take a look until the beginning of October! Luckily, someone cancelled yesterday and I was able to fill their spot. He immediately said I 100% require surgery for this. Things have actually gotten much worse for me since the latter half of July and according to the surgeon, things are even worse than I thought. He was going to give me a note for my employer but I told him to hold off as I was seeing my doctor today. The good news is that this surgeon splits his time between two different hospital OR's so they tell me that I should have a much shorter wait as I'm on the 'short notice' and 'can travel' list. (OR in Red Deer or Stettler. Stettler has a much shorter wait, or so they say. I'm signed up to go to either.)

My doctor today gave me some stuff for pain and he also gave me a note for my employer. My employer is quite good with this stuff and has a program set up for people who have a medical issue and need time off.

My question: How should I word this request? Anyone here in a supervisor role have any expectations from employees when it comes to this sort of thing? I have never taken any sort of leave before and I kind of feel like an asshole doing this but I can't do any task at work.

Any insight is much appreciated.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You are honest and non-specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

"I need to go on medical leave. My estimated time off will be ____"

That's it. You are under no obligation to provide any more information to your employer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    "I need to go on medical leave. My estimated time off will be ____"

That's it. You are under no obligation to provide any more information to your employer.
    Yeah, that's about all you need to provide. If you are on really good terms with your boss you can feel free to share any more information with them verbally, but I don't suggest you write anything more in email or any other format.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Yes. Let them find out about the huge worker's comp claim that will fuck their premiums the natural way.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yes. Let them find out about the huge worker's comp claim that will fuck their premiums the natural way.
    I wish it was WCB. Aren't those surgeries fast tracked?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciated.

Does you employer health plan have disability coverage? Once you notify your boss, it's really your HR's problem to help you navigate thru that so you get some pay while on med leave.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Yes, we have both short term (1 year) and long term (over 1 year) disability.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My only recommendation I can make is you really have to stay on top of the disability pay/payments and requirements.

Some companies and their HR departments do everything. Others drop the ball and you don't start getting paid for months. Hopefully you work for a good company, makes illness worlds easier.

Wow short term is 1yr.
    Most seem to be 3 month or in that range.
    Salary usually changes once you hit LTD.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Yes, we have both short term (1 year) and long term (over 1 year) disability.
    Once you are on it make sure you get detail recommendation from your docs on why you can't work. Insurance will try very hard to get you off it.

Surgeon/family doctor should give you a letter telling how much time you need off.

It does not need to be detailed. It’s none of the insurance company’s business.

My Ride
    *The First*

Find boss's dad. Fuck boss's dad.
    This ain't rocket appliances.

The only input I have, while very obvious, is stay vigilant with the painkillers. A few of my acquaintances destroyed their lives on those. Fucked up.

Good luck with your surgery/recovery.

My Ride
    Cars, trucks, bikes

Up till my semi-retirement last month, I was the manager (and an RN) of my Western Canada clinics in Occupational Health. Our TDB cases were managed in-house, till we decided to outsource to an external company.

Depending on the provider, your attending clinician may be required (with your consent) to complete a physician attending form on your behalf. This document DOES need to be detailed enough for the case manager of your absence to support your absence; your clinician will be prompted for what information is required on the form. Depending on the duration of your absence, they may also be prompted to provide periodic updates via a similar document. This all depends on the size of your employer and how TDB/EDB is set-up. Rest assured due to HIPA, disclosure of your medical condition, treatment etc. is not relayed back to your management and/or HR.

Generally speaking, unless you have a very good relationship with your manager, our nurses and physicians would advise against disclosing medical to them. Many a times, though intending well, our employees were caught in situations where their boss thought they knew the condition/surgery/recovery well as they/a family member, or friend went through seemingly the same issue, and recovered in xx period of time. This set an expectation on recovery time for the individual, and caused problems if/when they surpassed recovery or while discussing work limitations.

Just my two cents having spent 13 years leading an Occupational Health team providing this service for a large global oil company.
    Last edited by carzcraz; 08-26-2021 at 08:05 AM.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Can't help on your question but I can tell you the lower back surgery I had (L4/L5 lumbar fusion) was a game changer from a quality of life perspective. The past 10 years for me have been relatively pain free with only a few minor setbacks. Take it easy on the rehab and good luck.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Was told to start looking into private surgery clinics. Anyone know of any or do I absolutely have to go to the US? Not too sure where to start looking for something like that.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Was told to start looking into private surgery clinics. Anyone know of any or do I absolutely have to go to the US? Not too sure where to start looking for something like that.
    Cambie in Vancouver is a private clinic in Vancouver that does spine surgeries. I know someone who had it done there and had a positive outcome

There is also a place in Victoria as my mom was working there as a nurse before she retired. I can ask her if you want to know anything

My Ride
    Cars, trucks, bikes

There are certainly options for private access to health care in Canada. I have had a number of employees undergo out-of-pocket surgeries, MRI's etc. locally rather than having to be placed on a waitlist or travel out of country.

Clearpoint is an example of one such facility that my healthcare team received good feedback on from a couple employees; however there are other options locally as well. You can locate them via google by searching under "private surgery Calgary." If I recall correctly, you do not require a referral and can initiate same via phone or their online consultation forms.

https://clearpointhealth.ca/location...urgery-centre/
    Last edited by carzcraz; 01-05-2022 at 05:58 PM.
    Current Line-up…

Honda S2000
    FK8 Type R
    OG Mercedes Benz
    5th Gen T4R
    Lexus RX 350
    Ducati Streetfighter
    Modded Honda Grom

Fuck back surgery is scary shit...

I personally was told I needed it a 25 years ago by one doctor, but then another I trusted said to try and avoid it in any way possible as long as you can. Do chiro, massage, acupuncture, or anything non-drug related until you have exhausted all hope before getting surgery. I still have periods of trouble with my back to be sure but for the most part it has been manageable with work and I have yet to get the surgery.

Yes I know people who have had great improvements to their lives from it but I also know others who have ended up way worse off and now live an incredibly debilitated life. One guy even committed suicide after the results and living in such pain and an incredibly limited existence after having surgery go wrong.

Truly make sure it is 100% necessary because it can, and does go wrong for enough people that it warrants a lot of research and dedication. That kind of shit you can't come back from if you are one of the unlucky where as you may be able to manage quite well with some work and changes in how you do some things.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast