Quantcast
Torsion bar advice for a newbie - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Torsion bar advice for a newbie

My Ride
    2004 Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Smile Torsion bar advice for a newbie

Greetings!
    I am in need of some suggestions from all of you wise 4X4 enthusiasts! I just bought a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. I find that the front end appears to be lower than the rear, and I don’t like the look of that.

After reading some of the threads, I went to a recommended 4X4 dealer in SE Calgary, where they told me that I should bring it in, and they would adjust the torsion bars, and then I should have the alignment redone. That would level the vehicle.

When I mentioned the above procedure to the GMC dealer/salesperson, he got VERY excited, and told me under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should I have the torsion bars touched! He said that there were two reasons:

1. It would void the warranty for the entire front end (suspension etc)
    2. It would result in a very uncomfortable ride.

Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    "Learn from the mistakes of others, YOU
    won't live long enough to make the ALL
    yourself!"

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

sent back your PM... this thread has some pictures in it of what it will look like (the 04 silverado in black)
    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=37148
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride

Thanks for the advice Ninspeed!
    yourself!"

My Ride
    1988 Isuzu Trooper

G.M and all other makes have a specification called "ride height". Dealers don't like to see that spec changed due to the fact that it opens them up for tire wear issues, ride issues, and the like. Most dealers won't deviate from "factory specs" on much of anything these days because of liability. The reason the truck sits like it does is because the rear of the truck is more heavaly sprung. The reason is for load carrying capability of corse. Hope this helps.

My Ride

Thanks for your comments Jerry! I found an interesting site, where you can purchase a levelling kit to raise the front. I was very impressed (www.hill4wheeldrive.com, and click on "leveling kits"). I showed this site to my dealer, and the salesman replied as follows:
    "Always keep in mind "IF GM has not approved ANY add on to your unit and it causes stress damage or physical alteration to the unit in question, warranty is voided no questions asked." it was put to me a long time ago that if GM wanted it to do something, they would do it. The truck you own has a standard feature called DRP- dynamic rear proportioning- that when the brakes are applied, the fronts kick in first but if the ass end starts to feel pitch (the front dives) computers ease up on the front and sends strength to the rear brakes to provide an EQUAL braking opportunity in all conditions without locking up at any time. Levelling out the vehicle places a false signal to the truck and the fronts will out work the rears 50:1 on a ratio- or to simplify this - you'd ask why you only have 30% front pads vs. 80% on the rear IN THE FIRST YEAR of driving. My trucks are expensive for many reasons. It THINKS as you are driving down the road- 6 onboard computers are monitoring that beast every second of that trucks life"

By levelling the vehicle, won't it just "think" that it's going uphill all the time, and therefore no harm done?
    Now I'm REALLY confused!
    yourself!"

My Ride
    1988 Isuzu Trooper

I'm a parts counterman at a local G.M. dealer. tomorrow I will inquire about this so called "DRP" system. I've not heard the term before, but I'm just a parts guy, not a salesman. I am under the impression that the antilock brake system did not use a rear ride height sensor that links to a perportioning valve, Does your truck have 4 wheel ABS? I'll get back to you tomorrow.

My Ride

Thanks Again Jerry. Yes, it does have 4 wheel ABS. I'll look forward to hearing what you find out!
    yourself!"

My Ride
    1988 Isuzu Trooper

Batman, I checked with our most senior G.M. tranined tech, and he has not heard the term DRP. Back in the 80's and into the early 90's prior to trucks having 4 wheel ABS, the rear axle had a ride height "link" that was connected to a proportioning valve. As the bed was loaded and the rear springs settled, the link would adjust the valve to allow more hydraulic brake pressure to the rear wheel cylinders. This allowed an unloaded pick-up to have less of a chance to lock-up the rear brakes especially on dirt roads during a hard stop. With 4 wheel ABS, it goes into operation as soon as any one of the 4 wheels locks up for even an instant. The system is controlled by the 4WABS module. It has nothing to do with the ride height of the truck! I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't crank up the pre-load on the bars, and doubt if you would gain much height difference even with them maxed due to the weight of the DuraMax. Hope this helps.