Quantcast
New Law? Retake driver's license every decade? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Law? Retake driver's license every decade?

Default New Law? Retake driver's license every decade?

Heard this on the news that gov't purposal to do this... I hope not

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I think that is so dumb, especially if it costs US money (which it most certainly would)

If they do make it required, it should:

-Only have to be done if you were involved in an At Fault Accident since last renewal
    -Have more than 7 Demerits
    -If you pass it, you should be refunded the full amount of the testing fee (why pay again to prove you can do something? Do you have to pay again to prove you know how to be a doctor and back up your PhD?)
    -Make it a requirement for Seniors

What pisses me off is they say "There were XXXXXXX may accidents last year, we need some way of getting this number down"

Well WTF! This city is growing and the road system eats ass in the first place. Of course the number is gonna increase, our population in this city is getting larger and older. Not Smaller and More attentive
    Travel

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

Cash cow...

My Ride
    UA6

Yeah i agree with Ben. Why should you have to retake it if you have had a clean record?

My Ride
    pedals

its retarded because the government tests the wrong things anyways. They want you to know all the rules of the road which are pretty much useless (red means stop, well no shit!) they dont test real skill. they dont even fucking care if you can bairly drive, as long as you go the exact limit and come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by hjr
    its retarded because the government tests the wrong things anyways. They want you to know all the rules of the road which are pretty much useless (red means stop, well no shit!) they dont test real skill. they dont even fucking care if you can bairly drive, as long as you go the exact limit and come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Exactly!

People who drive like fuckin morons will just obay the rules when being tested and then revert back to their old ways for the next 5 years. In order to accuratly test driver ability, you would need to test accident avvoidence and evasive driving techniques, skid control, junk like that, and I sure aint footin the 400 dollar test bill.
    Travel

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Well it sucks that it will cost the general public money, but if the program fufills its purpose, we will have less stupid drivers on the road, which i give a But knowing the government, they will still allow incompetent drivers to keep their lisence.

My Ride
    Pathfinder

I think its a supid Idea. I don't have a Clean record but i have never been in an accident. Does it make me a dangerous driver? well i think im a safe driver. its the people that are traveling 80km on deerfoot in the fast lane that are the dangerous ones. but when was the last time you heard of anyone getting an impeeding traffic ticket? i sure haven't those people are the ones that cause the accidents. not the people who are going with the flow @ 110 and then we get pulled over for speeding. I hope this dosen't get passed. I'll have to move to BC if it does. just my 2 cents

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by sxtasy
    Well it sucks that it will cost the general public money, but if the program fufills its purpose, we will have less stupid drivers on the road, which i give a But knowing the government, they will still allow incompetent drivers to keep their lisence.

It wont solve a thing!

How does giving drivers the same test they took to get their licence in the first place solve anything? Driving is like Riding a bike, you never forget the basics, you just get lazy or learn new things as life goes on. only way you could change those habbits would be a rehab program, and like hell anyone will go for that! Sure makes this sound like a dumb idea now doesn't it?
    Travel

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

i don't think its that bad of an idea, but the things they test are common sense (except traffic circles, does EVERYONE forget how to use these? ). they shouldn't charge for it either, thats total BS, but they're saying retesting will be done every 10-15 years, because that will do so much .

i think most of the problem lies in AMA teaching people to be overly cautious as well, how many people here speed a little bit so they don't get stuck next to the 40 year old soccer mom less than the limit?

another issue is privatly owned registries that accept bribes and give out licences. here's an example for you, a courtesey car was returned to a1 autobody a few months ago, usually they photocopy a persons lisence and attatch it to the courtesey car agreement. only issue on this one for me? the woman was of east indian descent, and had her traditional garmants covering her face IN THE PICTURE FOR THE LISENCE. i have no problem with people wearing traditional clothing, but i even asked a cop who came in that day if it was legal to do this and he said "no way in hell." another example is my buddy bribing his tester with and extra 20 bucks to get his lisence, and he's already written off a car. so long as you have registries willing to give out lisences "under the table" this form of retesting will do nothing.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Ben

It wont solve a thing!

How does giving drivers the same test they took to get their licence in the first place solve anything? Driving is like Riding a bike, you never forget the basics, you just get lazy or learn new things as life goes on. only way you could change those habbits would be a rehab program, and like hell anyone will go for that! Sure makes this sound like a dumb idea now doesn't it?
    you'd be suprised how many middle aged and elderly people have forgoten the rules of the road, but i do agree that a different form of testing is required. IMO, make the tests harder, if you fail it, you have to wait a minimum of a week to take it again, fail more than three times, wait another 6 months. its sad when you can take the test, fail, go back the next day, fail again, and keep doing this until you pass.

is this already passed or just a proposed bill? because i don't think it will go through if its only proposed.

My Ride
    Hybrid

just proposed,...

I think it would serve drivers a lot better if they crack down on chinese driving schools who will license anyone.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    99 EK9 Hatch

Yeah, testing is crap these days anyways, the ama tries to make as much money off you as possible. It has nothing to do with how well you drive or if you can handle a car. I got failed for my first one because i got into the car, turned it on, took the e-brake off, then the instructor told me to tell him what some of the gauges and shit meant, but well i was doing that he put the e-brake back on, and being the nervous 16 year old i was i backed up not realizing it, i moved about 5 feet realized my e-brake was on appologized to him and explained that i didn't realize he put the e-brake back on, did my entire test without a demerit, came back and he told me he failed me at the beginning because i didn't have the required skills to drive... i then wrote it a second time with the AMA manager guy got no demerits again and after he told me that instructors are told to fail drivers on there first test for almost anything, especially males because they are to "cocky". I can understand the logic behind that but it's all based on the instructor and if he likes you or not, they got a category under auto fail that they can use anytime they want without explanation.

Photograph courtesy of the Calgary Police Service

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by A_3
    Yeah, testing is crap these days anyways, the ama tries to make as much money off you as possible. It has nothing to do with how well you drive or if you can handle a car. I got failed for my first one because i got into the car, turned it on, took the e-brake off, then the instructor told me to tell him what some of the gauges and shit meant, but well i was doing that he put the e-brake back on, and being the nervous 16 year old i was i backed up not realizing it, i moved about 5 feet realized my e-brake was on appologized to him and explained that i didn't realize he put the e-brake back on, did my entire test without a demerit, came back and he told me he failed me at the beginning because i didn't have the required skills to drive... i then wrote it a second time with the AMA manager guy got no demerits again and after he told me that instructors are told to fail drivers on there first test for almost anything, especially males because they are to "cocky". I can understand the logic behind that but it's all based on the instructor and if he likes you or not, they got a category under auto fail that they can use anytime they want without explanation.
    werd, i know VERY few people who were passed first time.

they failed me the first time, and yet i went back the next day, took the test again, and passed, explain that automatically failing people, what a joke.

My Ride
    pedals

i failed the first time for messing up my parallel park, i rode up on the curb a bit and that was a failure i guess. a retarded baby with dead beat parents might have been sitting there and i could have killed it and saved it a life of misery! waaa, waaaaa. i had 10 demerits.

went the next day all cocky, with a fuck off attutude. got 70 demerits but passed! haha. (max is 75 right)

But its completely bunk like i mentioned before. I learned nothing from that test that i needed to know on the road (except perhaps traffic circles, of which i am now a master). No skid control, no emergeny manuvers. nothing. The testing system is messed from the get go. Did you ever wonder why europeans are the best drivers on the planet, they have mandatory driving skill courses in order to get their liscenses. costs more initially, but less fuck ups end up on the road.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

don't they have to take the test in a manual tranny'd car too?

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

how is this going to change DRIVER ATTITUDE? If you're an asshole that likes to cut people off, tailgate and blow through red lights, how is this going to change? Don't tell me that you can't turn off your bad habbits for 20 minutes while you're taking the test and then go right back to the way you drove.

Also they say they should take the high risk drivers first...well who is that? The young people who have just got their liscences. Well why should they take it again only a couple years after they took their liscence. If they were already screened properly then we shouldn't have a problem there should we, unless the screening process was wrong to begin with and maybe we should adress that instead...also in 20 years a lot of laws have changed, lets see if the older folks know about them first, before once more going after the young drivers.
    Last edited by rice_eater; 04-03-2004 at 10:48 AM.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

Originally posted by Ben

It wont solve a thing!

my bad
    Last edited by rice_eater; 04-03-2004 at 12:56 PM.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by rice_eater

so people dont develop bad habbits? of course once you learn how to drive you know how to drive, but how about your habits, your reflexes, or plain knowing what to look for while your driving.

please reread the post you just quoted of mine
    Travel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast