Quantcast
How not to get scammed buying car privately with the title - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How not to get scammed buying car privately with the title

Default How not to get scammed buying car privately with the title

Basically what steps do I take to make sure I don't get scammed buying a vehicle in Alberta.

My main concerns are,

1) What steps do I take to make sure the owner doesn't get one of those title loans right before the sale? I can get a carfax and confirm it lien free, however what if the seller 1 hour prior to sale, goes and gets a title loan on the car. How do I protect myself from this?

2) Many sellers on Kijiji are always selling a vehicle for someone. They claim to have a signed registration but are NOT the actual owner of the vehicle. How can I protect against this? Go to the registry with them and don't hand over the cheque until its registered in my name?

When filling out a bill of sale, make sure their drivers license name matches the owner of the vehicle registration? If so they are not title jumping?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Step 1

If a deal seems too good to be true. It probably is.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Sounds like you should probably buy from a dealer.

Or at the very least, constrain your search to sellers who live west of Deerfoot.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Is hamster_hammand just happy hopping with better grammar and spelling?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by hamster_hammand View Post
    Basically what steps do I take to make sure I don't get scammed buying a vehicle in Alberta.

My main concerns are,

1) What steps do I take to make sure the owner doesn't get one of those title loans right before the sale? I can get a carfax and confirm it lien free, however what if the seller 1 hour prior to sale, goes and gets a title loan on the car. How do I protect myself from this?

2) Many sellers on Kijiji are always selling a vehicle for someone. They claim to have a signed registration but are NOT the actual owner of the vehicle. How can I protect against this? Go to the registry with them and don't hand over the cheque until its registered in my name?

When filling out a bill of sale, make sure their drivers license name matches the owner of the vehicle registration? If so they are not title jumping?
    Signed registration are a thing of the past.....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Signed registration hasn't been an important thing in Alberta for twenty years or longer.

- - - Updated - - -

The bargain finder used to have a bill of sale template printed in each one. I bought cars with just that multiple times. But a napkin is still fine these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

I didn't even know getting a title loan, or a HELOC on a vehicle, is even possible lol.

Sounds like a great financial decision.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Signed registration hasn't been an important thing in Alberta for twenty years or longer.

- - - Updated - - -

The bargain finder used to have a bill of sale template printed in each one. I bought cars with just that multiple times. But a napkin is still fine these days.
    Found out last time that the registry is very firm on wet ink BoS

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Found out last time that the registry is very firm on wet ink BoS
    Extremely firm. Buyer keeps original and seller gets a copy. Registry only accepts the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I never even met the buyer on the q3. We just signed and scanned both ways. Ugliest bos ever and zero wet ink haha. No issues.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Personally, I check the ID against the registration - which should be current. I meet up at THEIR home. I take a picture of their license and registration.

Then I whip out the shotgun, place it under their nose, and inform them that if they screw me, it'll be the last time.

OK. Part of that is untrue. I've purchased vehicles in a parking lot before....

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Extremely firm. Buyer keeps original and seller gets a copy. Registry only accepts the original.
    I bought a vehicle in 2021 and got some pushback from AMA when I went to register because everything had been done electronically. Wanted an ink copy. After some discussion they ended up processing it, but I was surprised she was still looking for something signed in pen, especially back during the height of COVID. So the registries seem to be loosening on this, but slowly.

Also to OP, you might be overthinking it. There's always going to be some crazy scenario people can dream up to screw someone else. If the seller hits any red flags to you (won't meet in person, selling someone else's car, has their own sale terms that you're not comfortable with, etc), then bail. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    I bought a vehicle in 2021 and got some pushback from AMA when I went to register because everything had been done electronically. Wanted an ink copy. After some discussion they ended up processing it, but I was surprised she was still looking for something signed in pen, especially back during the height of COVID. So the registries seem to be loosening on this, but slowly.

Blah.
    Oh, good to hear. I bought a Dakota to use for renos prior to covid and the owner gave me the scanned copy vs the inked copy. Registry wouldn't accept it and I had to drive all the way back to the sellers house to obtain the physical inked copy. So now when I buy something, I always take the inked copy to be safe.
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Why don't more of you just make up a bill of sale? I mean, of you actually bought the car, but didn't have the ink copy, just creat a fake one. How would you ever get caught? I may or may not have done this a few times. I must be a criminal for not seeing this as a big deal.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's correct that there is no issue or difficulty with creating a bill of sale that has an ink signature from an individual who may not be one of the legal parties involved in the transaction.

Its a crazy world out there. Sometimes people can't sign because of physical infirmity. Or just preference. Who am I to judge? I just want to assist.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

check id against insurance registration usually does the trick
    run car fax or vin check at registry etc.
    99% of people are legit i say and usually prepared to show you carfax, service history etc which has the name/addy of the seller etc.
    good luck
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Q1. Its not straightforward as getting a loan in a hour. The type of person who even could get approved in a hour would unlikely be doing that. The person who does very likely has issues with regular income, credit score, debit and savings. So they would be screened out in most cases.

Q2. Not a exact answer but this may help.
    If you are in a tight situation. Profile the person you are buying it from. How old do they look, ask what they do, why are they selling? Are they married? Do they have kids. If so does the condition match the lifestyle etc. Does the profile match the type of vehicle they are selling? Does the wear and tear match the profile of the type of person driving it? I.e family person vs young boy racer vs a young woman who do not maintain the vehicle?
    Before you buy both of you take it to a mechanic to do a inspection. Pay attention to the sellers body language.

Ive had this scenario a couple of years ago. The vehicle did not match the sellers profile and the condition of the vehicle to the untrained eye was junk.

My Ride
    Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Not always - I bought a car from a guy who wasn't here and did everything by email/scan.

When I went to register it, the first two registries refused unless I gave them an original copy.

The third registry I went to frowned but ultimately accepted the copy.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by M.alex View Post
    Not always - I bought a car from a guy who wasn't here and did everything by email/scan.

When I went to register it, the first two registries refused unless I gave them an original copy.

The third registry I went to frowned but ultimately accepted the copy.
    So the lesson here to make sure you're pretty and show some boobs hahaha.