Quantcast
Cpap - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cpap

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Cpap

Does anyone here use a cpap machine? If so, which ine and where did you get it? Was looking at ordering one online as its about half the price of locally. Locally comes with unlimited support.

My Ride
    Blue boy

No one else here with sleep apnea?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have a buddy with sleep apnea and a CPAP. From what I gather fit is totally crucial. And if you have a wife or other people sharing your bed, you may want to look into quieter models, because that sound is annoying as shit. Maybe less annoying than listening to you die seven times a night, but...

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

I have a CPAP. I've had it for about 8 years. Currently I use a Sleep Style machine. I went to Respiratory Home Solutions, it was were I was referred. They seem pretty good, but can be expensive. I get a years supply of masks and filters each year ($500/year). Thank goodness for benefits. This year I'm thinking of using Amazon for my masks and such, but we'll see.

I tell you I sleep much better now than I did years ago. I haven't had to have a nap in 8 years (unless I am sick of course).

Hope that helps.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a CPAP. I've had it for about 8 years. Currently I use a Sleep Style machine. I went to Respiratory Home Solutions, it was were I was referred. They seem pretty good, but can be expensive. I get a years supply of masks and filters each year ($500/year). Thank goodness for benefits. This year I'm thinking of using Amazon for my masks and such, but we'll see.

I tell you I sleep much better now than I did years ago. I haven't had to have a nap in 8 years (unless I am sick of course).

Hope that helps.
    I've been trying to get the sleep style as well but it seems to be on backorder, for quite a while now. how much did it cost you? how often do you replace masks and filters? my benefits (blue cross) doesn't cover cpap

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    I've been trying to get the sleep style as well but it seems to be on backorder, for quite a while now. how much did it cost you? how often do you replace masks and filters? my benefits (blue cross) doesn't cover cpap
    My original machine cost about $2500. That machine broke after a couple of years and the Sleep Style was the replacement, but I still had to pay $800. The supplies for the year cost about $500, but I'm sure they can be found for cheaper on amazon. There are also the mask wipes that you'll need unless you don't mind manually washing. Or you can get a CPAP mask cleaning machine. I just use the mask wipes, about $50 every 4 months or so.

The Sleep Style is a nice machine. Quiet, reliable (so far), and the app is useful. The only problem I have had with it is that sometimes I have to re-sync it with the app.

The biggest part is finding the best mask that doesn't leak. It took me 2 years to finally get a mask that works. Since then, it's been great.

Hope that helps.

My Ride
    2002 e46

I Have mild sleep apnea, and didn't want to go straight to a CPAP. Sleep clinic brought up something relatively new called exciteOSA. Its something that strengthens your tongue so it rests differently. Just have to wear it 20 minutes a day while you are doing dishes or watching TV. Decent results. My wife noticed a difference, but will never be as good as a CPAP.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r3124 View Post
    ...something relatively new called exciteOSA. Its something that strengthens your tongue ... My wife noticed a difference....
    I see...

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by extraslow View Post
    i see...
    lmao

My Ride
    Bicycle

Does anyone here use a cpap machine? If so, which ine and where did you get it? Was looking at ordering one online as its about half the price of locally. Locally comes with unlimited support.
    If local apnea clinic wants to you pay the difference over insurance coverage, you can negotiated down the package so you don't have to.

I don't really have apnea or my doctor say basically borderline that doesn't need a machine. But let's just say apnea machine droning vs snoring, it's lesser of 2 evils.

My old Philips has last me 5-6 years thru many travels. Currently on ResMed AirSense 1 which so far is doing the same job with a slightly smaller package. Not sure Philips models are available at the moment since they are working thru a series of recalls. Never tried the portable ones.

The "support and lifetime monitoring" is a joke. It's relatively easy to figure out what you need for set up.

I have 2 machines, both Phillips Dreamstations. Now they have a Dreamstation2, and apparently it's not as nice as the Resmed one, but cannot confirm personally.

I got the $2000 setup from a local sleep therapy place, after getting a sleep study through a referral from my doctor. I didn't know anything about it at the time, and it was covered by benefits, so no NBD. But I needed a 2nd machine since I work out of town and didn't want to lug it back and forth. Online they're cheaper for sure, but they want you to send them your prescription. If you don't have a prescription because you've never done a sleep study, then obviously that eliminates the option. Sounds gross, but I just got a 2nd one off Kijiji. There is a ton of people that get them, use it for a week and hate it, then get rid of it. It's a pretty simple device to take apart and disinfect properly.

I don't know what your situation is? But for all my Training Clients I recommend looking into it if they deal with snoring at all. Sleep interruption is a major problem for a lot of people that don't even realize it. Me personally I have severe Sleep Apnea. I stop breathing 45 times an hour. I have had to increase my pressures over the years(6 years now), and nobody from the monitoring has ever contacted me to tell me in advance to increase them, or because they notice the settings had been changed. So far as I can tell the monitoring is a joke sales gimmick to justify charging 2500$ for a 700$ machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have a buddy with sleep apnea and a CPAP. From what I gather fit is totally crucial. And if you have a wife or other people sharing your bed, you may want to look into quieter models, because that sound is annoying as shit. Maybe less annoying than listening to you die seven times a night, but...
    My wife is the reason I finally went for testing, because my snoring was unbearable. The machine only ever bothers her if my mask shifts and leaks air. I switched to a nose pillow type, and never had a problem since.

I've personally never needed to replace masks. Apparently they can wear out if you use a petroleum product on them like Vaseline or whatever, to stop your nose from chaffing. But after 6 years I've never replaced one myself.
    Last edited by Misterman; 09-20-2022 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r3124 View Post
    I Have mild sleep apnea, and didn't want to go straight to a CPAP. Sleep clinic brought up something relatively new called exciteOSA. Its something that strengthens your tongue so it rests differently. Just have to wear it 20 minutes a day while you are doing dishes or watching TV. Decent results. My wife noticed a difference, but will never be as good as a CPAP.
    If you are looking for alternatives, try losing a few lbs. Had this conversation with my doc and apnea is directly correlated to neck circumference. I lost a few and it elimited my need for a CPAP.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Weight isn't the only factor, but Spike98 is right. i have mild sleep apnea, but it's dependent on what kind of shape im in 100%.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    If you are looking for alternatives, try losing a few lbs. Had this conversation with my doc and apnea is directly correlated to neck circumference. I lost a few and it elimited my need for a CPAP.
    Should probably be a consideration for most.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Yeah, didn't need a CPAP when I lost 20lbs early on in the pandemic. But got it all back going back to the office and doing lunches so back on the machine I go.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Should probably be a consideration for most.
    I was trying to be somewhat sensitive with my response but weight is almost entirely responsible for apnea. My doc showed me a few studies that demonstrate where neck size is >17.5", you have a 95% chance of apnea. With that said, its not just fat. Muscle also will also achieve the same result however but for the majority of the population its because of obesity.

My doc wouldn't even talk to me about a CPAP before i lost 10lbs. Lost it and what do you know. Sleeping wonderfully now no snoring.

I was trying to be somewhat sensitive with my response but weight is almost entirely responsible for apnea. My doc showed me a few studies that demonstrate where neck size is >17.5", you have a 95% chance of apnea. With that said, its not just fat. Muscle also will also achieve the same result however but for the majority of the population its because of obesity.

My doc wouldn't even talk to me about a CPAP before i lost 10lbs. Lost it and what do you know. Sleeping wonderfully now no snoring.
    Yoked for life! I don't even want to think about the starvation I'd have to endure to drop 40lbs of muscle. CPAP will be my friend for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Yoked for life! I don't even want to think about the starvation I'd have to endure to drop 40lbs of muscle. CPAP will be my friend for a long time.
    #joerogan problems.

order from cpapoutlet.ca constant sales much cheaper then the local sleep clinics. Ive only used Resmed with a new mask every six month ish? I use them way longer then that but benefits will pay for new ones.

regurgitating what was said, body weight does have a factor whether its muscle or fat. Unfortunately some like Misterman probably doesn't have much to lose unless they lose muscle.

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

No one else here with sleep apnea?
    How fat are you?

Have you tried a rigorous zone2 training program? Have you tried re learning how to breathe? Retrained your tongue for proper placement while breathing?

If you are on cpap already, you'll be on bipap by age 55.
    Last edited by Yolobimmer; 09-28-2022 at 01:36 PM.
    MAGA = My Ass Got Arrested.

Beware the passive aggressive Mean Girls. Vengie, Killramos, Penismightier, buster, jrscoolude, etc who bully others into their circle jerk opinion, serially negging you, while claiming they ignore you and don't obsess over you.

PSA. High school is not a popularity contest little girls

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast