Quantcast
lets talk dad bod motorcycles - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: lets talk dad bod motorcycles

My Ride
    ute

Default lets talk dad bod motorcycles

My car shopping has been depressing lately. Too much EV/hybrid nonsense, and the market has gone bonkers. So I'm thinking about getting back on a motorcycle.

Then I realized: middle aged dudes on bikes can look cool. But dad bod middle aged dudes pretty much look like dorks on bikes, whilst trying desperately to look cool.

So: step one - do something about the dad bod. Outside the scope of this thread.

Step two - get a bike that is cool, but isn't middle aged cliche bullshit. You know what I'm talking about. Never have been interested in sport bikes, so that's out.

My ducati monster has been sitting in storage for about ten years, but I'm thinking about just getting something new.

Right now, my top candidate is a BMW RnineT Scrambler.

Name:  SZYGC4MTE5BUBM7XKY7YQXZGSM.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  222.2 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

See if that lowest mileage bike in human recorded history is still available from last summer. Some idiot commented on it as of it was a "higher than average" specimen but he was the wrongest idiot ever.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

These new scramblers (that one, the Ducati, and Triumph) bug me… they just don’t do anything well… times have evolved, just get an adventure bike… bmw GS or KTM adventure. They work well for bigger guys too, plus gives you access to more terrain.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These new scramblers (that one, the Ducati, and Triumph) bug me… they just don’t do anything well… times have evolved, just get an adventure bike… bmw GS or KTM adventure. They work well for bigger guys too, plus gives you access to more terrain.
    I think the scrambler nature of them actually improves their usability as general purpose bikes. I used to have a KLR and have done some adventure riding. Not really interested in it any more.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think the scrambler nature of them actually improves their usability as general purpose bikes. I used to have a KLR and have done some adventure riding. Not really interested in it any more.
    If you rode a KLR… that checks out

The modern mid-sized BMWs and KTMs are so much more in terms of tech/power/handling

I dunno… the “retro scrambler” crap just feels disingenuous. I’d rather get deus/cafe dreams/federal moto to build an original airhead

My Ride
    ute

If you rode a KLR… that checks out

The modern mid-sized BMWs and KTMs are so much more in terms of tech/power/handling

I dunno… the “retro scrambler” crap just feels disingenuous. I’d rather get deus/cafe dreams/federal moto to build an original airhead
    I view them like most modern SUVs....they are marketed for offroad, but really are just starbucks delivery devices. BMW makes a non-scrambler version that I'm also considering.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:  BMW-R-nineT.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  112.1 KB

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

All depends on what you wanna do with it, is this just for around town cruising and cafe hopping?

I will post an exhaustive list of my favourites here tomorrow, but there are some great bikes out there, we're in a golden era of motorcycling.

- - - Updated - - -

If you like this you should have a look at who does it better, imho, https://roughchild.com/

Absolute objects of art.

Name:  AZ3I9124.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  201.0 KB
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    ute

I think you're missing the part about being a middle aged dad, though. I'm not a rolled cuff hipster with a twirled mooostache.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    All depends on what you wanna do with it, is this just for around town cruising and cafe hopping?

I will post an exhaustive list of my favourites here tomorrow, but there are some great bikes out there, we're in a golden era of motorcycling.

- - - Updated - - -

If you like this you should have a look at who does it better, imho, https://roughchild.com/

Absolute objects of art.

Name:  AZ3I9124.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  201.0 KB
    those are amazing. But as I mentioned, at some point but I need something more...mature?

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

I have never particularly associated age with motorcycles.. but there are definitely a few kinda dorky "dad bikes" out there, mostly sport touring bikes. But I'm under 40 and will ride and enjoy anything. Yamaha FJR and BMW k1600 come to mind, Goldwings, etc.

It all depends on what you want to do with it, as I mentioned above. Around town recommendations will be different from bikes that'll get you to BC comfortably.

Personally I will likely be buying a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, in 2022, because I have a Ducati for around town and need something to ride across the country in comfort. Other bikes like this? Ducati Multistrada, 1250GS from BMW, etc.

Do you like vintage looking bikes? Bikes with plastics? Sport bikes? Cafe? Cruisers?
    Last edited by adamc; 10-01-2021 at 12:24 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I think buying the new retro version screams mid-life crisis way louder than owning the airhead version of a Singer Porsche

This would be the mature way of going about it, the hipster version would require a whole lot more oil/km ridden and for sure some zip ties

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    I have never particularly associated age with motorcycles.. but there are definitely a few "dad bikes" out there, mostly sport touring bikes. But I'm under 40 and will ride and enjoy anything.

It all depends on what you want to do with it, as I mentioned above. Around town recommendations will be different from bikes that'll get you to BC comfortably.

Personally I will likely be buying a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, in 2022, because I have a Ducati for around town and need something to ride across the country in comfort. Other bikes like this? Ducati Multistrada, 1250GS from BMW, etc.

Do you like vintage looking bikes? Bikes with plastics? Sport bikes? Cafe?
    Well, I fell in love with the original Ducati Monster, which is what got me into motorcycling. I still have it, 15 years later, but haven't ridden anything in about 10 years. I doubt I will do much touring, and no adventure touring. No sport bikes. So I guess I would fall into what I would call a "standard" - and the BMW RNineT seems to be pretty close to that. (Things like a shaft drive are benefits for not needing maintenance and such).

- - - Updated - - -

I think buying the new retro version screams mid-life crisis way louder than owning the airhead version of a Singer Porsche

This would be the mature way of going about it, the hipster version would require a whole lot more oil/km ridden and for sure some zip ties
    That's true. Although I think you can do midlife crisis well (I think the BMW does that, its not TOO retro), and you can do midlife crisis poorly (Harley).

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

The R9t is a stunning bike and can be classed up quite nicely, you can't go wrong with one of those.

I do not like the r9t scrambler variants because I know they don't do offroad particularly well and if you're going to ride on the street you might as well be wearing a street biased tire..

Other bikes to consider like that are:

MotoGuzzi Griso - TONS of character and soul compared to the r9t.. Italian vs. German, soul goes to Italy every time. Super comfortable, have ridden and enjoyed it immensely.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 11.34.45 PM.png
Views: 567
Size:  3.20 MB

Ducati Sport Classic - harder to find because they were only made for a very short time (1 or 2 years iirc), A black sport classic is a dream bike of mine. Not great for anything other than around town, hard on the wrists, etc.

Name:  ducside1.jpeg
Views: 496
Size:  416.7 KB

Moto Guzzi v1000 Mandello - Not out yet, but should be available here next year hopefully. Going to be a very special bike from Guzzi, can't wait to ride it.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 11.36.14 PM.png
Views: 559
Size:  2.10 MB

Kawasaki z900rs

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 11.39.33 PM.png
Views: 559
Size:  1.07 MB

New BMWs coming next year look pretty sweet?

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 11.42.39 PM.png
Views: 557
Size:  1.61 MB
    Last edited by adamc; 10-01-2021 at 12:43 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

For a standard modern bike… Blackfoot has one of these at a pretty great price, it might not look like the r9t, but in true 2020 fashion… it’s liquid cooled!

https://blackfootonline.com/euro_pro...il.php?id=8275

My Ride
    ute

For a standard modern bike… Blackfoot has one of these at a pretty great price, it might not look like the r9t, but in true 2020 fashion… it’s liquid cooled!

https://blackfootonline.com/euro_pro...il.php?id=8275
    thats not loading...what is it?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    thats not loading...what is it?
    Weird… I even clicked it again from here as their site sucks… 2020 KTM 790 Duke for $8500

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I think a nicely done up Street glide or Road glide is the only way to go. Some of the Indian motorcycles are pretty sharp too.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

What’s so wrong with your monster for this purpose?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    I think a nicely done up Street glide or Road glide is the only way to go. Some of the Indian motorcycles are pretty sharp too.
    That screams middle aged dork bike to me… might as well get a trike lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

X2 on Monster or anything Italian. How about MV Agusta?

*when you said "shopping for a bike" in whatever other thread, I thought you meant bicycle.

My Ride
    V8s

R9t (non scrambler) fits the bill pretty well. If you never/rarely are going to take it on the highway, I might lean a bit towards a supermoto (not the KTM 790, a smaller lighter one - even Husqvarna 701 is over 50lb lighter). Slow things driven fast are more fun than fast things driven slow, and all that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast