Quantcast
New Tires: Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus vs Mich Pilot Sport AS 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Which Tires Should I Get?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus

4 25.00%
  • Mich Pilot Sport AS 4

10 62.50%
  • Get Bald Summers or Take the bus

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Tires: Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus vs Mich Pilot Sport AS 4

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default New Tires: Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus vs Mich Pilot Sport AS 4

Looking for new tires for next season and think I'm going with these 2 choices.

Looking for pros/cons on which way to go

Vehicle they're going on wont be driven in winter but I don't want to go with strictly summer tire
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    *The First*

Aww Geez! Neither?!
    Doesn't Yokohama have one in that bracket?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've been running AS4's for 2 seasons now. Pretty much as much grip as P-Zeros on a <20C day. Can handle light snow decent so I'm able to switch to winters later. Can't complain.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    V8s

I was actually looking at this recently, and limited info on the internet shows A/S4 is better performance-wise, and DWS06 is slightly better in inclement weather. If the vehicle won't be driven in the winter, then I'd def go A/S4.

Also, anecdotally, I really just prefer michelins to continentals. I've had Mich a/s3+, and MPSS.. both were much quieter and seem to last longer than contisport contact 5p.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Also, anecdotally, I really just prefer michelins to continentals. I've had Mich a/s3+, and MPSS.. both were much quieter and seem to last longer than contisport contact 5p.
    My shop foreman friend said this exact statement. Quieter and last longer. In the size I'm getting, theres no AS4's in inventory yet. Hopefully by next year when I'm ready to get, theres stock. If rage2 runs them, its settled.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

To add to this, my primary car right now is the E wagon. If it wasn't for the AS4's I'd be blowing my head off right about now lol. Sport suspension mode, cornering is actually tolerable.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Looking for new tires for next season and think I'm going with these 2 choices.

Looking for pros/cons on which way to go

Vehicle they're going on wont be driven in winter but I don't want to go with strictly summer tire
    Both are top level quality products for sure. Simple design difference that is probably the most notable would be the aggressive grooving difference of the Conti vs the Michelin, and that leads me to suggest that if you are more aggressive driving then the Michelin tread pattern will handle that a little better and less potential to feather but if you want to have a little more bite for the shoulder seasons when it can get a little gross and you are not as worried about as much sporty driving in the dry then go with the Conti. It would be the deciding factor for me if I was choosing between those two.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    To add to this, my primary car right now is the E wagon. If it wasn't for the AS4's I'd be blowing my head off right about now lol. Sport suspension mode, cornering is actually tolerable.
    Taken from a reddit thread with the same question asked. By the time I order next year, there will probably be a AS4+ model out

Good question

The dws06 has a super soft side wall compared to the as4. As a result it’s steering and handling aren’t great. Frankly it’s only good in the wet and ok in the snow

The as4 is outstanding in the dry and wet and not as good as the dws06 in the snow. It’s ok but not as ok as the dws06.

The as4 is the dark soul of tires bro. This is almost like a pilot sport 4s with more wet and cold capabilities. It does give up on some of the 4S’s better dry capabilities, sure. But frankly the as4 is an outstanding option

The dws06 is clearly focused on cold weather.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Slightly off topic. I came across this video a while ago. There is a significant difference between OTS and OE spec tires. But up to you to decide if the extra premium is worth it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Slightly off topic. I came across this video a while ago. There is a significant difference between OTS and OE spec tires. But up to you to decide if the extra premium is worth it.
    I've never had a chance to test OE vs standard in any tire, but the last Michelin event that they sent me to, I had asked an engineer there who explained that OE versions from Michelin are wildly different, like described in your video. That said, there's so many other variables that affects how the car actually handles, something even as simple as tire pressures and alignments. You could argue that the same test, you can make the standard tire more lively by playing with pressures and alignment, adapt to the driver's style better, and achieve similar improved results.

@tirebob mentioned years ago that tire manufacturers easily game these events to come up with the conclusion they want you to see. I mean, at the Michelin event I went to, we got to try the AS3 and PSS in identical Mustangs in hot weather on the track, which had me believe they were just as grippy at the limit (with the AS3 being more squirmy). In reality now that I've had much more real world experience, there's a big difference in dry grip with both tires.

That said, glad I don't have this problem. All my OE tires are Pirellis and Continentals for AMGs, so just a poor man's PS4 is a massive upgrade haha.

My Ride
    *The First*

Super useful video @HiSpec thanks!
    I'd heard this a long time ago and suspected it was true based on the shit RE050 OEM compared to the aftermarket, but never fully understood why.
    Learnings.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I have the DWS06 and has previously mentioned, they have a very soft sidewall. I have scuffing on the sidewalls from normal cornering on my commute. It might be that I am under-tired for my suspension setup but I don't want to run a summer performance tire and all the hype said these were pretty good for an AS tire (Speed Academy and Straight Pipes both say they are "trackable" tires **cough**sponsored**)

They also seem to flat spot pretty quickly, like if I don't drive for two or three days they feel out of round for the first 10-km or so.

They are fairly comfortable and quiet compared to the Nokians I've had as all seasons on cars over the last 15 years but I don't think that is setting the bar high (especially on the road noise side of things).

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I've never had a chance to test OE vs standard in any tire, but the last Michelin event that they sent me to, I had asked an engineer there who explained that OE versions from Michelin are wildly different, like described in your video. That said, there's so many other variables that affects how the car actually handles, something even as simple as tire pressures and alignments. You could argue that the same test, you can make the standard tire more lively by playing with pressures and alignment, adapt to the driver's style better, and achieve similar improved results.

@tirebob mentioned years ago that tire manufacturers easily game these events to come up with the conclusion they want you to see. I mean, at the Michelin event I went to, we got to try the AS3 and PSS in identical Mustangs in hot weather on the track, which had me believe they were just as grippy at the limit (with the AS3 being more squirmy). In reality now that I've had much more real world experience, there's a big difference in dry grip with both tires.

That said, glad I don't have this problem. All my OE tires are Pirellis and Continentals for AMGs, so just a poor man's PS4 is a massive upgrade haha.
    My AMG had Dunlop’s and they were dreadful.
    Last edited by killramos; 10-17-2021 at 10:40 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Exploded.

My S3 has DWS06 for three seasons and they’re so noisy on the highway. Although that could be shitty Deerfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post

Motherfucker.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

I feel you'd be quite meticulous in finding the best performance year round -- so this is surprising (my own ignorance I imagine) to me that you're using All-Seasons. Are the shoulder seasons the reason, why you moved away from a summer performance tire?

I've been strictly a summer performance tire, and winter hakka for my last few vehicles.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    I feel you'd be quite meticulous in finding the best performance year round -- so this is surprising (my own ignorance I imagine) to me that you're using All-Seasons. Are the shoulder seasons the reason, why you moved away from a summer performance tire?

I've been strictly a summer performance tire, and winter hakka for my last few vehicles.
    This was the wife’s car. I sold my car and the new car is delayed. Bought her the minivan so it’s just a temporary situation. I went with AS4s for her because it was the best compromise for the one or 2 days of early snow before the Hakkas are swapped on, with good grip in the summer.

My car, whenever it decides to arrive, will be on summers and performance winters (pa5s). That’s my Calgary most performance year round combo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sell me the wagon?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

This was the wife’s car. I sold my car and the new car is delayed. Bought her the minivan so it’s just a temporary situation. I went with AS4s for her because it was the best compromise for the one or 2 days of early snow before the Hakkas are swapped on, with good grip in the summer.

My car, whenever it decides to arrive, will be on summers and performance winters (pa5s). That’s my Calgary most performance year round combo.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

I swapped out the factory tires on my Mach 1 to the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus. I went with them based on the lesser road noise and snow ratings when compared to the Mich.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast