Quantcast
Golf Tips that helped me alot this year - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Golf Tips that helped me alot this year

Default Golf Tips that helped me alot this year

The lowest my index was 4.3 when I was a Jr. Golf... fast forward 22 years and playing less than say 3-4 full rounds a year I decided to get back into it.

Background - Swing was very "classic" two plane swing, almost Colin Montgomary like, with alot of timing coming from using my hands and a very aggressive hip turn... Playing about 70+ rounds a year and hitting a couple buckets every day was how I got my handicap so low.

As my body's been plauged/riddled with injuries including mobility in my right elbow (shortening my extention at impact), general flexability issues and a chronic back problem with my S4/S5 and SI joint). Coupled to my old swing and players clubs, I couldn't come close to breaking 90s for the life of me.

NOTE with Adjustments: It takes me close to 4-5 buckets for me to adapt to adjustments and probably playing a couple rounds to not have to "think" about them during the swing.

Hitting the ball Thin or Fat: Most people think that this is all in the hands needing to hitting "down" on the ball... Though hitting down on the ball is the "outcome", most of the time the release with your hands is usually consistent and its all about clearing the hips at the right time.

Because of my back issues it would take me a few holes or maybe like 15-20 balls at the range to not look like a retard. If you were to swing a club at shoulder height, standing straight up with arms ahead of you, you just can see that squaring and releasing the club is usually pretty consistent... What is inconsistent is timing the hips to release the club at the right time. i.e. If you don't release your hips in time, you hit it fat, if you release it too early, you will hit it thin.

My remedy:
    To allow for more consistent hip turn, I had to use a narrower stance. I just couldn't use a shoulder+ width stance that most people use to keep their lower body still. As my head/hips are pretty used to being quite still throughout a swing, using the narrower stance allows me to turn properly with less "pain".

Timing and wight shift: With my "joints" now better aligned to go through the swing motion, timing needed to be re-learned to ensure the hips are re-centered at the begining of the down swing, then shifted open with weight on my left side during the swing, clearing the path for the club face to be centered at impact for longer and ensuring power goes through the ball utilizing the correct loft and shaft load/lean.

My remedy: Think about your "right hand" in my case (right handed swing) and skipping rocks... Lead with the hips (lower body), arms and keeping the lag in the hands through to release. Just like skipping a stone, you will keep this action on the same plane and groove (finishing with the same body lean) such that you can easily add speed to cast the stone farther. Since doing so, I've not had to think nearly as much or at all about my takeaway and hitting it less fat/thin.

More solid contact and less motion: Once in a while when I feel off, I lose the ball on the tow, high and to the right. Why? I was used to a two plane "classic" swing being armsy and I was relying on my left hand too much on lag and release through impact.

Remedy: Stupid but simple, on a single plane swing you want your backswing to leverage the body more than the arms. For me making sure I keep my left arm is glued as tight to the chest as possible, providing that consistent "guide' to ensure that I bring the club back to address consistently.
    The other is to focus on the right hand and keeping the grip as a single unit. Just like casting the stone into the water, I think of casting that club head using my right hand into the ball, into the ground. Since doing so, I've been much more consitent with my divot depth and catching the ball more solidly. Even if I lose it on the toe, Iat have had a far better chance of directing and compressing power through the ball.

Typical foundations are always in play... keep everything as still as you can, don't lift or turn your head until after impact, and keep your body lean as long as you can (if you can)

in short my tips for more consistent ball striking:
    1. Fat/thin - Use a stance that lets you clear your hips consistently, and think of timing as if you are trying to skip a stone
    2. More consistent and solid contact: Use a one plane swing and keep that left arm squeezed as tightly to the chest as possible and as "guide". Using that same skipping stone mentality think of using that right hand to deliver the power... holding the lag and releasing that club face using that hand into the ball -> ground
    3. Adding Power - yes its all about speed, but rather than thinking of speeding or over-extending your swing, I think about how hard I drive my right heel into the ground during the backswing. Most people think about over extending the backswing, but when really its about coiling the resistence against your driving leg.

Using these tips and coupled to my short game, in just a few rounds I've managed to shoot low 80s again, which is more than "ok" for me for someone who just plays recreationally.

I've also switched to game improvement clubs, and though they help on off center shots closer to the toe, there are two things I "HATE" about them: 1. Loss of Distance on good shots... yes though you can swing for the fences with less risk, on-centered shots are balloney and shorter. 2. Can't work them. Trying to hit anything other than a moderate fade or draw, you'll just fuck up as the fatter sole will catch. Its like trying to hit a finishing nail with a sledge hammer in a small space... good luck with setting up a "stinger" with an open stance and the ball closer to the back foot. 3. Divots... especially when the ground is hard, the fat sole and bounce discourages a steep angle which I prefer on short irons for pitches or when trying to hit a spinning high fade.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 10-15-2021 at 07:09 AM.

Probably doesn't help you now but Mizuno's GI clubs are low bounce

figured I'd dig this old thread up and try to blog in a less verbose manner

things that are working:

"skipping" a rock" - after recieving this tip, it still resonates with me and is my primary swing thought. It helps me lead with body, then arm, then wrist while keeping the body tilt while rotating.

stance - narrowing my stance has greatly helped me clear my hips easier to shift weight.

Ball position - I used to always align to inside left heel, but "science" has shown that the shorter the club, the closer to the middle of the stance is where the lowest part of the swing is. I now position the ball almost half ball inwards with each shorter club.

Gaining distance - two things:

1. Grip for more consistency - went back to a "Azinger" style modern 3 knuckle strong grip, which ensures a more consistent lag. In order to power fade or draw the ball, I adjust the right hand and stance for pathing

2. Extention through impact zone - coupled to a strong grip, I hit into the golf ball like initiating my bench press. My wrists are loaded and I am pushing/exploding and extending my arms through the ball - especially with my right wrist and right arm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Equipment

Irons:
    Without a doubt, GI clubs with their thick soles, perimetor weight, big head zize, multi-metal compsiition and even hollow body construction makes fat/thin and off center hits better.

However if you swing with any sort of pace and reasonable repeatability - the swing weight is awkward and you only have one way to hit the ball. This adversely effects my game especially when having to play off of different lies and anytime you need to flight the ball's tragectory.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Nice posts.

I was a pretty good Jr. golfer (not as good as you) and am hoping to get back into it this season as well. Currently hunting for some clubs... any recommendations?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice posts.

I was a pretty good Jr. golfer (not as good as you) and am hoping to get back into it this season as well. Currently hunting for some clubs... any recommendations?

Can’t beat Mizuno irons
    For fairway woods & drivers I like Callaway.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Can’t beat Mizuno irons
    For fairway woods & drivers I like Callaway.
    You stole my clubs?

Love my Mizuno SELs and XR woods - it's all in the shaft.

Currently having an issue where I'm striking the ball on the toe, but hasn't affected my score too much. Need more extension in the arms I guess. Solid short game within 50y has kept my cap in the single digits, need to figure out this swing consistency thing.

Nice posts.

preference is everything and this is definately the case where you should be buying clubs to fit your level of talent.

As your level of talent and precision improves, coupled with the right tools, you can add more shots to your game that "should" help you address more variables.

Unfortunately if your talent is not there, then these tools will likely hinder than help.

to generalize and this is based on my history of brands:

Titleist, Mizuno, Maxfli, Wilson Staff, Hogan, Srixon - all manfuacturers that come to mind as a "Players" choice that happen to have some game improvement offerings in their lineup. These brands also have a strong history with "Forged" carbon irons as compared to the others.
    "I" find the advancement in club technologies with these companies are pragmatic and are more traditional than leaders of change
    until the last decade I would also say Cleveland and Macgregor were also in this category

Cobra, Callaway, Ping, Taylormade, Adams - Though they now have offerings for all levels (including forged players clubs) and have always had major signings, I would say through their history they lead the field in advancement of making a more forgiving and longer club technologies.

Ping - the OG of Game improvement clubs, not only the first to introduce one of the most venrable players cavity (eye2) but introduced the "color dot" system with a varity of shaft options to better fit players out of the box. Ping is also very unique and is incredibly pragmatic as well... its always an evolution, and its clear to see that from the Eye 3 Irons, the series to follow were just iterative versions of the same thing.
    Eye 3 Blade became the I series
    Eye 3 OS became the G series

When it comes down to Driver technology, I feel each of these companies have contributed to the modern (lets say last decade) 460 driver, with I would say Taylormade leading the pack with Distance and Callaway with forgiveness.

Every time I switch to a game improvement setup (Taylormade M3s and G series woods) - I find myself always switching back to something more of a players cavity. I just put a set of Ping Eye2+ w/ JZ stiffs blue dot and I series woods back in the bag, and don't regret it one bit.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 06-06-2022 at 02:24 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

My routine for improving my golf swing is recording myself every practice session.

Performing specific core exercises to improve mobility and flexibility.

Trying to play at least 3-4 times a week this year.

One thing I think most people screw up on wrt hand lag, is casting before impact.

At impact with many sports or with most throwing sports - your hands are "lagged" at the initiation of impact or release.

Think batting, the bottom hand on a slap shot, chopping wood with an axe, or throwing a baseball or football.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^ Can you explain more? I don't understand what you mean by casting or lagged?

Do you mean changing the grip position (i.e. hands relative to the grip) or hand position relative to the entire club?

My Ride
    V8s

^ Can you explain more? I don't understand what you mean by casting or lagged?

Do you mean changing the grip position (i.e. hands relative to the grip) or hand position relative to the entire club?
    It’s neither of those things. It’s about the point at which you release the club and the club head passes the hands. Google lead wrist supination, it’ll give you all the info you could possibly want. It’s also one of the hardest things to learn. 99.9% of amateur golfers don’t do it. I’m a single digit handicap and still am trying to get more consistent with it.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

The best thing anyone can do to improve their golf is to see a coach. I did the whole video your swing blah blah for years. Went to a coach and in 2 sessions fixed my slice for good.

Golf is the one sport people expect to be good at without getting any professional coaching or training... works for a few but not for most

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    The best thing anyone can do to improve their golf is to see a coach. I did the whole video your swing blah blah for years. Went to a coach and in 2 sessions fixed my slice for good.

Golf is the one sport people expect to be good at without getting any professional coaching or training... works for a few but not for most
    100%.. at least let them sort out and establish the foundations before you make the adjustments that best suit you.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    100%.. at least let them sort out and establish the foundations before you make the adjustments that best suit you.
    Was pretty crazy how many videos I watched and ways I tried to stop coming over the top. Just didn't click and what my head wanted to do my body wouldn't.

Golf is much more fun when 80% of your drives are down the pipe

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post

Bumping an old thread, but does anyone have recommendations for private golf lessons?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

What's your budget/goals? Todd Halpen is a great coach but isn't cheap and only takes on people looking to seriously improve their game/commit to practice schedule. There's another guy out of xfactor in the SE who is good but I can't recall his name.

Lots of the Modern Golf guys are good coaches too.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    What's your budget/goals? Todd Halpen is a great coach but isn't cheap and only takes on people looking to seriously improve their game/commit to practice schedule. There's another guy out of xfactor in the SE who is good but I can't recall his name.

Lots of the Modern Golf guys are good coaches too.
    I’m looking for a couple lessons before next season, just to make my game more consistent and correct bigger issues in my swing. Would hope to keep it under $1k. I’m considering the NGA (Golf Dome) and Golfuture.

The cheap prices of lessons at Modern Golf caught my eye, but then I began to wonder if they could be any good at that price.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I really need to do this. I am shanking a dozen shots a round lately.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Beyond simulator golf league?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Anyone else feel like hitting off mats deminishes their golf game? It's prob just in my head, but that's how I feel
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 12-06-2023 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast