Quantcast
Can Children Blast Their Lat's? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can Children Blast Their Lat's?

My Ride
    *The First*

Default Can Children Blast Their Lat's?

Can kids that are 10 start working out? Why did all those signs in the gym (back forever ago, when I used to go) say that kids under 16 should not be lifting weights?

Has the "science" evolved on this now? I honestly don't see the issue when one considers that tiny kids play hardcore sports where they are worked so hard that they get very sore muscles. How different is it to achieve that via some proper squats or inclined bench?

I have kids that want to start working out. I don't have them in too much for sports (compared to most insane white families - Holy fuck) so I don't want to discourage this. But I want to know more about if there are any legit concerns with rapidly growing children taking part in strength training, resistance exercises or something like plyometrics.

I feel like someone like @vengie might know about this, but please give me internet advice on this subject.

I know when I was about 10, there was a kid in my class who was a boxer. He was in kick-ass shape eternally and eventually made a career out of boxing. I'm pretty sure he was "working out" but perhaps it wasn't weights and moreso aerobics, push-ups and skipping. He was a step-change stronger than anyone in his peer group, though. Was he damaging himself by taking fitness so seriously at such a young and growing age?

My Ride
    NC1

Hercules kid remember
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Functional exercise is good. Bodybuilding is bad for kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Functional exercise is good. Bodybuilding is bad for kids.
    yes sir
    sport is exercise and fun
    also you know those ppl with farm strength? that's who you get to move your fridge and stuff, not buddy who lift weights to look good lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Name:  52d87242475e0.gif
Views: 344
Size:  498.9 KB

My Ride
    ute

It's all fine

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

One of the best things I received as a kid was a weight training class at Lindsay Park (sp? now Talisman Centre?) when I was 13 years old.

It's a great time to learn the movements as far as I'm concerned but kids need to be taught not to ego lift - likely best supervised by someone who knows what they're doing so they're learning form and not doing too much.

And the thing it took me another decade to learn was how important eating is. If you're going to work out, get the calories and proteins necessary for it to show. Wish I'd known at an earlier age.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    One of the best things I received as a kid was a weight training class at Lindsay Park (sp? now Talisman Centre?) when I was 13 years old.

It's a great time to learn the movements as far as I'm concerned but kids need to be taught not to ego lift - likely best supervised by someone who knows what they're doing so they're learning form and not doing too much.

And the thing it took me another decade to learn was how important eating is. If you're going to work out, get the calories and proteins necessary for it to show. Wish I'd known at an earlier age.
    Prioroties, in order:

1. Sleep
    2. Sufficient protein and calories
    3. Working out.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Prioroties, in order:

1. Sleep
    2. Sufficient protein and calories
    3. Working out.
    Good advice, regardless of age.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Good advice, regardless of age.
    Yep. I was agreeing with you... But didn't make that clear.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I think it’s important to figure out why they want to start lifting weights. If they’re being teased because of their body type, perhaps a different approach is what’s needed before going to lifting weights. If they want to be strong and look like Arnold some day, I think great - let them at it. Just make sure they’ve got the right training and technique so they don’t develop injuries. I started in the gym at around 12 and have been at it ever since for the last 23 years. The lifestyle is engrained in me and don’t ever see myself being stagnant or not in top shape.

On a side note, one thing I’ve seen develop rapidly over the years is the use of PEDs and how early people are starting to take them. There are 16 year olds in the gym these days that are clearly on the juice and it’s becoming a disgusting culture of these kids idolizing meatheads on TikTok. So I think education around developing naturally is important as well, and the rewards of hard work naturally versus taking shortcuts that may very well impact your health.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 11-11-2023 at 09:42 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For sure teen talk about a variety of drugs and injections, and that's become part of teen gym culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    I think it’s important to figure out why they want to start lifting weights. If they’re being teased because of their body type, perhaps a different approach is what’s needed before going to lifting weights. If they want to be strong and look like Arnold some day, I think great - let them at it. Just make sure they’ve got the right training and technique so they don’t develop injuries. I started in the gym at around 12 and have been at it ever since for the last 23 years. The lifestyle is engrained in me and don’t ever see myself being stagnant or not in top shape.

On a side note, one thing I’ve seen develop rapidly over the years is the use of PEDs and how early people are starting to take them. There are 16 year olds in the gym these days that are clearly on the juice and it’s becoming a disgusting culture of these kids idolizing meatheads on TikTok. So I think education around developing naturally is important as well, and the rewards of hard work naturally versus taking shortcuts that may very well impact your health.
    Jesus, I didn't even consider PED's. What a gross thought. Your Arnold comparison isn't super consistent when one considers his juicer past, but I certainly understand the theme.
    I don't believe it's about getting bullied, but I was already keeping that on the radar. They're not fat. It's inconceivable to me how some of the kids their age are fat. What kind of concentrated shit in what quantity can make a kid fat?!?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    What kind of concentrated shit in what quantity can make a kid fat?!?
    Screen time and processed foods. It's really not that surprising.

I don't see kids outdoors playing much anymore... and if I do they're often on electrified scooters/bikes.

Heavy lifting at that age would not be recommended in my opinion.

Calithenics (bodyweight) training would be recommended.
    Our hockey coaches had us in dryland training once per week at that age and this was the primary focus.

My Ride
    ute

All of this

My oldest started rock climbing seriously when she was about 11. They do traditional barbell/dumbell exercises combined with bodyweight exercises. She's 17 now. Anyhow she can do pull ups using only the tips of her fingers.

In regards to PEDs, the other big sport that is rife with them is swimming. Basically all the males are on the juice.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Wait… you’re 35?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Haha, yes sir.

Did you pin me at 25 or 45

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Can kids that are 10 start working out? Why did all those signs in the gym (back forever ago, when I used to go) say that kids under 16 should not be lifting weights?

Has the "science" evolved on this now? I honestly don't see the issue when one considers that tiny kids play hardcore sports where they are worked so hard that they get very sore muscles. How different is it to achieve that via some proper squats or inclined bench?

I have kids that want to start working out. I don't have them in too much for sports (compared to most insane white families - Holy fuck) so I don't want to discourage this. But I want to know more about if there are any legit concerns with rapidly growing children taking part in strength training, resistance exercises or something like plyometrics.

I feel like someone like @vengie might know about this, but please give me internet advice on this subject.

I know when I was about 10, there was a kid in my class who was a boxer. He was in kick-ass shape eternally and eventually made a career out of boxing. I'm pretty sure he was "working out" but perhaps it wasn't weights and moreso aerobics, push-ups and skipping. He was a step-change stronger than anyone in his peer group, though. Was he damaging himself by taking fitness so seriously at such a young and growing age?
    I usually told my players not to focus too much on actual weight until they're about 15 or 16, depending a lot on where they are at developmentally. At that age, they should be more than capable of staying competitive if 90% of their workout is bodyweight. Even then, I'd suggest limiting the number of times they go heavy to maybe once a week during an offseason.

For 15 and under, I try to encourage them to play multiple sports to build complimentary strength and coordination rather than do offseason S&C. There was a big series published on ESPN about 5 or 6 years ago by Baxter Holmes that talks about a concerning spike in the number of teenagers seeing orthopedic surgeons for torn-up knees and such because of early specialization in sports lack of downtime. I don't have the time right now, but I'll find it later.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast