Quantcast
LSAT Exam - Information Request - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: LSAT Exam - Information Request

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    YYC and YVR
    Posts
    2,916
    Rep Power
    19

    Default LSAT Exam - Information Request

    LSAT exam. For those who have written and passed, what do you suggest for prep material and is the Renert prep course worthwhile? I know the exam isn't focused on academic knowledge but rather analytical abilities so it isn't something you can really study for per se.

    Can you give me 411 on the written portion and what to expect?

    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    3,185
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    You want Kaplan for prep. When I did it, it was worthwhile for sure, plus it was only like $1200 or something which doesn't even register on the law school cost scale. (this was a few years back, cost may/likely will have changed since)

    As for the exam, the prep course is very indicative of what you'll run into, although I found the prep exams a little easier than the real thing. You are right that it's about analytical abilities (more or less), but you are wrong about not being able to study for it. It's about your ability to apply analytical problem solving quickly and accurately. The more you practice the quicker you will be able to identify the type of question/how to cut out the wrong answers, etc. All of the content should be easily understandable by someone considering law school; getting through it all efficiently during the exam is the real challenge. Time is your enemy with the LSAT. I didn't get into the school I wanted, so I abandoned the pursuit of a law career, but I got a competitive LSAT score after taking Kaplan and putting ~70% effort into prepping for the exam.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    YYC and YVR
    Posts
    2,916
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Thanks for the info @cjblair , I really appreciate it.

    Career change time for me and though I've contemplated going back to do law for a while now although I did go back and finish a MBA in 2017, I think imma actually gonna do it now.

    How long did you study for? I was going to start and try to write in Jan and hopefully get into Dalhousie for September 2022. I'm less than 2 weeks from the Nov deadline for most schools so unless I want to wait to September 2023....
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,284
    Rep Power
    54

    Default

    Iíd be very interested to hear what your line of work is that having a previous degree, an MBA, and ultimately a law degree leads to?

    Law is a young manís grind. Articling sounds like literally the worst.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    3,185
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    I studied for a short while, probably 8 weeks of half assed evening study, half ass weekend study and prep classes before the first time… I wrote twice though, the first time my score was crap, 154 or something. Keep in mind the scores are curved, and the competition is stiff. I met people that prepped for a year; many people approach it as if it is their only option, and that’s a really tough mindset to get into if you’re already a few years into a decent career (which I was).

    Idk if id say practising law is exclusively a young man’s game, you have to put in long days/weeks no matter what you’re doing if you wanna get ahead. The hours I work now are comparable to some lawyers I know. It all depends what you want to practise and what kind of company you want to work for. Plenty of lawyers out there that only work 8-5 at in house gigs for oil and gas companies. If you want to grind to make partner at a seven sisters firm or be a litigator (I know people in each of those roles), that work can be miserable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    YYC and YVR
    Posts
    2,916
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I studied for a short while, probably 8 weeks of half assed evening study, half ass weekend study and prep classes before the first time… I wrote twice though, the first time my score was crap, 154 or something. Keep in mind the scores are curved, and the competition is stiff. I met people that prepped for a year; many people approach it as if it is their only option, and that’s a really tough mindset to get into if you’re already a few years into a decent career (which I was).

    Idk if id say practising law is exclusively a young man’s game, you have to put in long days/weeks no matter what you’re doing if you wanna get ahead. The hours I work now are comparable to some lawyers I know. It all depends what you want to practise and what kind of company you want to work for. Plenty of lawyers out there that only work 8-5 at in house gigs for oil and gas companies. If you want to grind to make partner at a seven sisters firm or be a litigator (I know people in each of those roles), that work can be miserable.
    Ideally, if I was still young as fuck I would've done law from the start and practiced criminal defense specializing in defending asian organized crime only - Yakuza and Triad specifically. But since I don't want my entire family wiped out, I'll practice something else haha. Seriously I'd like to practice employment and human rights law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Tiny hands on a tiny keyboard
    Posts
    10,071
    Rep Power
    72

    Default

    Having dealt with intellectual property lawyers extensively over the last couple years, I can say that it looks awful. More boring than real engineer, and waaaay more boring than killy's style of "engineering"
    ...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Our corporate lawyer charges $230/hr with a three hour minimum. That offsets the boredom.

    In most large companies the lawyers are the highest paid employees. Only execs make more.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,284
    Rep Power
    54

    Default

    Does it though?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Well I hear cocaine is a hell of a drug.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,159
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    LoL at comparing the lawyer's charge out rate to their compensation. I've paid a student lawyer $300+/hr when the reality is that resource is making $60/hr and I've also seen the invoices for the $850/hr guy. It's not exactly a linear scale.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Tiny hands on a tiny keyboard
    Posts
    10,071
    Rep Power
    72

    Default

    Charge-out rates are disconnected to compensation. Don't be distracted.
    ...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,284
    Rep Power
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Charge-out rates are disconnected to compensation. Don't be distracted.
    People seem to largely be misequating the two
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LoL at comparing the lawyer's charge out rate to their compensation. I've paid a student lawyer $300+/hr when the reality is that resource is making $60/hr and I've also seen the invoices for the $850/hr guy. It's not exactly a linear scale.
    Captain Obvious to obviate!

    The corporate lawyer at unnamed chemical company in town made over $500K. In 2000. Happy now?

    The lowest paid exec made US$999,999.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,284
    Rep Power
    54

    Default

    Is “over 500k” a lot?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,159
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Captain Obvious to obviate!

    The corporate lawyer at unnamed chemical company in town made over $500K. In 2000. Happy now?

    The lowest paid exec made US$999,999.
    Oh good. I'm so glad to learn that _____ Chemicals has a pay structure of:
    $50k-$499k = everyone except the Corp Lawyer
    $500k = the Corp Lawyer
    $600k = no one
    $700k = no one
    $800k = no one
    $900k = no one
    +$999k = Exec's

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Tiny hands on a tiny keyboard
    Posts
    10,071
    Rep Power
    72

    Default

    Anyone who earns under $600k is lazy.
    ...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh good. I'm so glad to learn that _____ Chemicals has a pay structure of:
    $50k-$499k = everyone except the Corp Lawyer
    $500k = the Corp Lawyer
    $600k = no one
    $700k = no one
    $800k = no one
    $900k = no one
    +$999k = Exec's
    Ha ha, you wish $50K was the lowest salary.

    And they had two corporate lawyers. And some underling lawyers.

    Are you surprised at what execs are paid? Check the shareholders' agreement of any of the big companies in town, they are required to show their compensation.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,284
    Rep Power
    54

    Default

    “Shareholders agreement” eh?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Everybody knows you need consent to get fucked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NPPE Exam (Engineering Ethics Exam)

    By core_upt in forum Careers
    Replies: 245
    Latest Threads: 08-30-2021, 08:41 AM
  2. City Assessment Request for Information

    By cidley69 in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 05-23-2017, 02:28 PM
  3. WTB: APEGGA NPPE (Professional Practice Exam P.Eng) exam material

    By Vanish3d in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
  5. Any lawyers or LSAT writers out there?

    By SteveMo600 in forum Careers
    Replies: 6
    Latest Threads: 01-25-2006, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •