Quantcast
Apple music shuffle algorithm - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66

Thread: Apple music shuffle algorithm

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    3,795
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s intermediate hardware if it’s a normal feature that an amp/receiver can handle for you.

    Intermediate. Between your Phone and your Amp.

    Just because it doesn’t fit your narrative doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist lol
    a receiver or a sonos has an amp and a source inside of it. The signal path is the same.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,924
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Sure it’s exactly the same, except where you draw arbitrary boxes to equate things to suit your point.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Alright. Thanks for your "help" beyond....fuck me lol

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Secret City, Alberta
    My Ride
    2018 Civic Si
    Posts
    549
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what happens when an Android user has too much money.
    Android users wouldn't have too much money if they had to pay iPrices.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    3,795
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alright. Thanks for your "help" beyond....fuck me lol
    "create new thread" is the forum equivalent of pulling the pin on a grenade,

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,843
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm ready to get rid of Apple music just because I'm tired of the shuffle function. I have around 8k songs downloaded.

    Yesterday I heard a few songs repeated within a few hours. Is there any way to have it so there shouldn't be any repeats?

    I start up listening again today and it just seems like I'm hearing all the same songs as yesterday, wtf. Not sure if any other streaming services would be the same, any insight would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alright. Thanks for your "help" beyond....fuck me lol
    I’ll try and answer your question.

    If your library is like mine, a combination of my old shit that I owned and other shit you’ve added, you’d have a lot of dupes in your full library. Just looking at my library of all songs, picked a random song “Ride the Lightning”, I have 10 versions of that song, 3 studio and 7 live from different albums. Throwing all in a shuffle means all 10 would be in rotation, with chance of dupes. There is no way to filter from that.

    Is that what you’re asking? Or are you saying the shuffle feature isn’t really shuffling properly? I’m actually not sure if it can handle that many songs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    tundy
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Man I've almost made this post so many times.

    I have a playlist with about a 1,000 songs in it that I hit shuffle on whenever I'm going somewhere, driving dog park whatever. Despite a fresh shuffle each time, I'll still hear the same handful of songs within the first couple hours without failure while there's other songs that I've completely forgotten exist. Shit there's even one song that has zero plays even though I've used this playlist near daily for years.

    Somethin fucky going on.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    51N, 114W
    My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    i thought that they used some sort of algorithm or genius mode that only shuffles songs you like and 'want' to hear, meaning its not truly random?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ll try and answer your question.

    If your library is like mine, a combination of my old shit that I owned and other shit you’ve added, you’d have a lot of dupes in your full library. Just looking at my library of all songs, picked a random song “Ride the Lightning”, I have 10 versions of that song, 3 studio and 7 live from different albums. Throwing all in a shuffle means all 10 would be in rotation, with chance of dupes. There is no way to filter from that.

    Is that what you’re asking? Or are you saying the shuffle feature isn’t really shuffling properly? I’m actually not sure if it can handle that many songs.
    Nah, it's literally just repeating the same songs. I get it if I have multiple versions, but that's not the case here.

    I listen to music alot, so maybe I notice it more than the average guy, super frustrating.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man I've almost made this post so many times.

    I have a playlist with about a 1,000 songs in it that I hit shuffle on whenever I'm going somewhere, driving dog park whatever. Despite a fresh shuffle each time, I'll still hear the same handful of songs within the first couple hours without failure while there's other songs that I've completely forgotten exist. Shit there's even one song that has zero plays even though I've used this playlist near daily for years.

    Somethin fucky going on.
    Yep, that's exactly it. I've tried turning on and off shuffle 10 times to see what happens yesterday and I got 2 of the same song within an hour.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,693
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Do Apple users need to refer to Mario's lottery page? It's not like the 6-49 lottery "randomly" selects 6 new numbers for 8 weeks in a row before it has to repeat one.
    That's not what random means.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,843
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Was playing around with the shuffle all songs feature last night, while I couldn't get it do duplicate the behavior, I *think* it's because it doesn't actually shuffle the entire song list. The "play next" list only shows like 200 songs. When a song finishes, it loads another new one in the shuffle. I mean I couldn't get it to happen like you guys said, but if it's only maintaining 200 songs in the shuffle, I can see it happening.

    That said, WTF you shuffling your entire library for? Listening to that was pretty fucked up. Went from Thomas the Train to Fuck da Police lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,856
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Sounds legit. Also, have you heard of steaming?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    tundy
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was playing around with the shuffle all songs feature last night, while I couldn't get it do duplicate the behavior, I *think* it's because it doesn't actually shuffle the entire song list. The "play next" list only shows like 200 songs. When a song finishes, it loads another new one in the shuffle. I mean I couldn't get it to happen like you guys said, but if it's only maintaining 200 songs in the shuffle, I can see it happening.
    That makes sense to me. Like over time the repeats will change but in a given week there's always this loop. Drawing the same few songs out of 200 is a lot easier to understand.

    My best bet is I'm just hitting play to resume the shuffle rather than a full restart of the app, so it just re-shuffles the play next list hence repeats. Still, dumb behavior. If that's right then Apple just needs to redraw the play next list whenever playback resumes after the device i.e. truck, headphones power cycles or something idk.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That said, WTF you shuffling your entire library for? Listening to that was pretty fucked up. Went from Thomas the Train to Fuck da Police lol.
    Every song in my library is gold Jerry, gold!

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Trance 1000 - 1001 songs.

    Besides, shuffling that many songs isn't difficult.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Rather than start a new thread, I have another issue and I get the same bullshit tech answers "clear cache, reset phone" bla bla bla.

    Apple music is downloading music while I'm sleeping and while I'm on wifi, but clearly my wifi is shutting off or something when I'm asleep, because every few days, Apple music downloads 7-12gb of data in one night.

    I have my settings set to not use mobile data and only on wifi but im not sure wtf else to do. Thus is on Android not iPhone BTW

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,924
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Well there is your problem right there…

    I would guess it has something to do with how android handles background app refresh.

    Maybe try opening the Apple Music app shortly before going to bed so that the app is still active in memory and not hibernated or something.

    That said… what is the actual issue? A lot of playlists don’t update daily. Are you just wanting to smooth out your data usage or something?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well there is your problem right there…

    I would guess it has something to do with how android handles background app refresh.

    Maybe try opening the Apple Music app shortly before going to bed so that the app is still active in memory and not hibernated or something.

    That said… what is the actual issue? A lot of playlists don’t update daily. Are you just wanting to smooth out your data usage or something?
    Sorry, the issue is that I only listen to downloaded music, so I should be using 0 data, yet I go to sleep, wake up to find my phone downloading apple music and it downloaded a shit ton of gigs overnight.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,924
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    It downloaded 10GB over cellular?

    Do you have wifi assist/boost (whatever android calls it) turned on?

    If the wifi sucks where you plug in your phone for the night that could be the issue.

    Otherwise, sounds like it’s android not blocking cellular use in the app properly. No idea how to help you there.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It downloaded 10GB over cellular?

    Do you have wifi assist/boost (whatever android calls it) turned on?

    If the wifi sucks where you plug in your phone for the night that could be the issue.

    Otherwise, sounds like it’s android not blocking cellular use in the app properly. No idea how to help you there.
    I suspect that's the issue too, wifi turning off when im sleeping, but the apple music app isn't supposed to do anything on mobile data.

    I found a setting on wifi to get notifications to switch apps when they can't connect, so im hoping that I get asked to switch and I have to approve it before it does. We'll see if it works

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,856
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Have you tried using a different music app that has a functional android app? Or a different phone that works well with Apple music?

    Apple is an all or nothing kind of ecosystem. Don't dip your toe.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Apple 512MB iPod Shuffle

    By Vlad I. in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 11-03-2005, 09:30 PM
  2. FS: Brand New Apple 512MB iPOD Shuffle

    By noaccess in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 05-14-2005, 12:43 AM
  3. Apple Unveils Mini Mac, IPod Shuffle

    By D'z Nutz in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 26
    Latest Threads: 01-13-2005, 12:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •