Quantcast
Apple music shuffle algorithm - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Apple music shuffle algorithm

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s intermediate hardware if it’s a normal feature that an amp/receiver can handle for you.

Intermediate. Between your Phone and your Amp.

Just because it doesn’t fit your narrative doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist lol
    a receiver or a sonos has an amp and a source inside of it. The signal path is the same.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sure it’s exactly the same, except where you draw arbitrary boxes to equate things to suit your point.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    changes every year

Alright. Thanks for your "help" beyond....fuck me lol

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This is what happens when an Android user has too much money.
    Android users wouldn't have too much money if they had to pay iPrices.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    "create new thread" is the forum equivalent of pulling the pin on a grenade,

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm ready to get rid of Apple music just because I'm tired of the shuffle function. I have around 8k songs downloaded.

Yesterday I heard a few songs repeated within a few hours. Is there any way to have it so there shouldn't be any repeats?

I start up listening again today and it just seems like I'm hearing all the same songs as yesterday, wtf. Not sure if any other streaming services would be the same, any insight would be appreciated.
    I’ll try and answer your question.

If your library is like mine, a combination of my old shit that I owned and other shit you’ve added, you’d have a lot of dupes in your full library. Just looking at my library of all songs, picked a random song “Ride the Lightning”, I have 10 versions of that song, 3 studio and 7 live from different albums. Throwing all in a shuffle means all 10 would be in rotation, with chance of dupes. There is no way to filter from that.

Is that what you’re asking? Or are you saying the shuffle feature isn’t really shuffling properly? I’m actually not sure if it can handle that many songs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Man I've almost made this post so many times.

I have a playlist with about a 1,000 songs in it that I hit shuffle on whenever I'm going somewhere, driving dog park whatever. Despite a fresh shuffle each time, I'll still hear the same handful of songs within the first couple hours without failure while there's other songs that I've completely forgotten exist. Shit there's even one song that has zero plays even though I've used this playlist near daily for years.

Somethin fucky going on.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

i thought that they used some sort of algorithm or genius mode that only shuffles songs you like and 'want' to hear, meaning its not truly random?

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I’ll try and answer your question.

If your library is like mine, a combination of my old shit that I owned and other shit you’ve added, you’d have a lot of dupes in your full library. Just looking at my library of all songs, picked a random song “Ride the Lightning”, I have 10 versions of that song, 3 studio and 7 live from different albums. Throwing all in a shuffle means all 10 would be in rotation, with chance of dupes. There is no way to filter from that.

Is that what you’re asking? Or are you saying the shuffle feature isn’t really shuffling properly? I’m actually not sure if it can handle that many songs.
    Nah, it's literally just repeating the same songs. I get it if I have multiple versions, but that's not the case here.

I listen to music alot, so maybe I notice it more than the average guy, super frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    Man I've almost made this post so many times.

I have a playlist with about a 1,000 songs in it that I hit shuffle on whenever I'm going somewhere, driving dog park whatever. Despite a fresh shuffle each time, I'll still hear the same handful of songs within the first couple hours without failure while there's other songs that I've completely forgotten exist. Shit there's even one song that has zero plays even though I've used this playlist near daily for years.

Somethin fucky going on.
    Yep, that's exactly it. I've tried turning on and off shuffle 10 times to see what happens yesterday and I got 2 of the same song within an hour.

My Ride
    *The First*

Do Apple users need to refer to Mario's lottery page? It's not like the 6-49 lottery "randomly" selects 6 new numbers for 8 weeks in a row before it has to repeat one.
    That's not what random means.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Was playing around with the shuffle all songs feature last night, while I couldn't get it do duplicate the behavior, I *think* it's because it doesn't actually shuffle the entire song list. The "play next" list only shows like 200 songs. When a song finishes, it loads another new one in the shuffle. I mean I couldn't get it to happen like you guys said, but if it's only maintaining 200 songs in the shuffle, I can see it happening.

That said, WTF you shuffling your entire library for? Listening to that was pretty fucked up. Went from Thomas the Train to Fuck da Police lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sounds legit. Also, have you heard of steaming?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Was playing around with the shuffle all songs feature last night, while I couldn't get it do duplicate the behavior, I *think* it's because it doesn't actually shuffle the entire song list. The "play next" list only shows like 200 songs. When a song finishes, it loads another new one in the shuffle. I mean I couldn't get it to happen like you guys said, but if it's only maintaining 200 songs in the shuffle, I can see it happening.
    That makes sense to me. Like over time the repeats will change but in a given week there's always this loop. Drawing the same few songs out of 200 is a lot easier to understand.

My best bet is I'm just hitting play to resume the shuffle rather than a full restart of the app, so it just re-shuffles the play next list hence repeats. Still, dumb behavior. If that's right then Apple just needs to redraw the play next list whenever playback resumes after the device i.e. truck, headphones power cycles or something idk.

That said, WTF you shuffling your entire library for? Listening to that was pretty fucked up. Went from Thomas the Train to Fuck da Police lol.
    Every song in my library is gold Jerry, gold!

Trance 1000 - 1001 songs.

Besides, shuffling that many songs isn't difficult.

My Ride
    changes every year

Rather than start a new thread, I have another issue and I get the same bullshit tech answers "clear cache, reset phone" bla bla bla.

Apple music is downloading music while I'm sleeping and while I'm on wifi, but clearly my wifi is shutting off or something when I'm asleep, because every few days, Apple music downloads 7-12gb of data in one night.

I have my settings set to not use mobile data and only on wifi but im not sure wtf else to do. Thus is on Android not iPhone BTW

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well there is your problem right there…

I would guess it has something to do with how android handles background app refresh.

Maybe try opening the Apple Music app shortly before going to bed so that the app is still active in memory and not hibernated or something.

That said… what is the actual issue? A lot of playlists don’t update daily. Are you just wanting to smooth out your data usage or something?

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    changes every year

Well there is your problem right there…

I would guess it has something to do with how android handles background app refresh.

Maybe try opening the Apple Music app shortly before going to bed so that the app is still active in memory and not hibernated or something.

That said… what is the actual issue? A lot of playlists don’t update daily. Are you just wanting to smooth out your data usage or something?
    Sorry, the issue is that I only listen to downloaded music, so I should be using 0 data, yet I go to sleep, wake up to find my phone downloading apple music and it downloaded a shit ton of gigs overnight.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It downloaded 10GB over cellular?

Do you have wifi assist/boost (whatever android calls it) turned on?

If the wifi sucks where you plug in your phone for the night that could be the issue.

Otherwise, sounds like it’s android not blocking cellular use in the app properly. No idea how to help you there.

fact.

My Ride
    changes every year

It downloaded 10GB over cellular?

Do you have wifi assist/boost (whatever android calls it) turned on?

If the wifi sucks where you plug in your phone for the night that could be the issue.

Otherwise, sounds like it’s android not blocking cellular use in the app properly. No idea how to help you there.
    I suspect that's the issue too, wifi turning off when im sleeping, but the apple music app isn't supposed to do anything on mobile data.

I found a setting on wifi to get notifications to switch apps when they can't connect, so im hoping that I get asked to switch and I have to approve it before it does. We'll see if it works

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have you tried using a different music app that has a functional android app? Or a different phone that works well with Apple music?

Apple is an all or nothing kind of ecosystem. Don't dip your toe.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast