Quantcast
Picking up snowboarding this year, looking for insight - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up snowboarding this year, looking for insight

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    What size are the bindings? Any recommendations on knee pads/ generic Amazon’s or worth the spend for d3o type stuff?
    Just whatever pads I was using when rollerblading. You're gonna be falling a lot while you learn. You'll be glad you'll have them.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Knee pads?

Just put some snow pants, jacket, mits on and fuckin sender bud
    lol fuck that, pretty sure this guy is an adult, you don’t bounce back like you used to. I learned when things didn’t hurt, I can’t imagine doing it now. I’m like princess and the pea though, I can’t have anything extra making me uncomfortable (or sweat more) so I have minimal gear on haha

Finboy I think the bindings are an L, I’m a 12 or 13 boot can’t remember so they’d have to fit that.

Ordered a stump ape yesterday, 160, I usually ride a 167-170 cause I’m a big boy so excited to try that.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Appreciate the offer but I have a size 8 boots so I think I would go flying out of those on turn 1 lol.

Being 37 is definitely going to keep my “just send it” knob turned down for a while, bad enough I’m making dad noises when I pick things up now
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    lol fuck that, pretty sure this guy is an adult, you don’t bounce back like you used to. I learned when things didn’t hurt, I can’t imagine doing it now. I’m like princess and the pea though
    Exactly! Even just knee pads would make this a way better imo. The first few days you'll be living on your ass and knees and if you plan to learn at cop you'll definitely want padding. That place is nothing but ice and hard pack
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    NC1

When I learned 10 years ago I had everything, wrist guards, knee pads, impact shorts lol I spent the entire first couple sessions falling down and getting up. I’m still noob like after going like 20x, just never fully mastered it. Wouldn’t mind trying skiing, I can skate a little and they say there’s some transferable skill there.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Pretty much always wore knee pads when riding park. Just not worth it to potentially break your knee caps if you botch your entrance/exit on rails. It's pretty common among park riders to wear knee pads you just never see them because they are covered by snow pants... A lot of people also wear spine protectors and some form of tail bone protection when playing around with larger park features. You can still mess yourself up real good with the above though. Helmets though are pretty much mandatory IMHO even though they aren't all that effective when it comes to concussions they will at least prevent you from breaking your skull.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    Pretty much always wore knee pads when riding park. Just not worth it to potentially break your knee caps if you botch your entrance/exit on rails. It's pretty common among park riders to wear knee pads you just never see them because they are covered by snow pants... A lot of people also wear spine protectors and some form of tail bone protection when playing around with larger park features. You can still mess yourself up real good with the above though. Helmets though are pretty much mandatory IMHO even though they aren't all that effective when it comes to concussions they will at least prevent you from breaking your skull.
    I’ve heard that most snowboarding helmets are really only good to about 12 mph, so definitely beneficial for me at this point lol

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I’ve heard that most snowboarding helmets are really only good to about 12 mph, so definitely beneficial for me at this point lol
    Maybe fully effective under 12mph? But I’m sure above 12mph it’s gonna do more than not having one at all. Just don’t do the kook thing of stuffing a thick toque underneath… that’s going to make the helmet less effective

just learn to ski

I think 'us' millenials gravitated towards the cool factor of snowboards (I'm a skiier but about 80% of my friends are snowboarders). When I look at Gen Z, I see the resurgence of skiing

I ski'd at a fairly high amateur level from both racing and freestyle... and would say that I could do everything "Better" than say my brother who is a fairly compentent level.

The learning curve is steeper with snowboarding and the progression curve is flatter.

Across different terrains, the varities of different sky types makes skiing more versatile in larger conditions, though for Park and big Pow days, Snowboarding is equitable or possibly better.

For icy days, groomers, steeps, moguls... even though ski's are longer, it is just easier to be mobile facing the 'fall line' and the benefits of two biting edges.

I have tried using a few sets (still own a pair) of "all mountain" ski's including Soul HD 8s, but nothing beats purpose ski's for their intended purpose

on days where people are sliding all over the hill on their boards or huge plank skis, there is nothing like pushing beautiful high G turns on GS skis with 140+ flex boots

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Maybe fully effective under 12mph? But I’m sure above 12mph it’s gonna do more than not having one at all. Just don’t do the kook thing of stuffing a thick toque underneath… that’s going to make the helmet less effective
    Getting a proper helmet with mips for sure

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    just learn to ski

I think 'us' millenials gravitated towards the cool factor of snowboards (I'm a skiier but about 80% of my friends are snowboarders). When I look at Gen Z, I see the resurgence of skiing

I ski'd at a fairly high amateur level from both racing and freestyle... and would say that I could do everything "Better" than say my brother who is a fairly compentent level.

The learning curve is steeper with snowboarding and the progression curve is flatter.

Across different terrains, the varities of different sky types makes skiing more versatile in larger conditions, though for Park and big Pow days, Snowboarding is equitable or possibly better.

For icy days, groomers, steeps, moguls... even though ski's are longer, it is just easier to be mobile facing the 'fall line' and the benefits of two biting edges.

I have tried using a few sets (still own a pair) of "all mountain" ski's including Soul HD 8s, but nothing beats purpose ski's for their intended purpose

on days where people are sliding all over the hill on their boards or huge plank skis, there is nothing like pushing beautiful high G turns on GS skis with 140+ flex boots
    Yeah I'd generally agree with the above. I can ski competently and it's far more convenient for most things. Park skiing though IMHO is still pretty wack. Both in terms of how spins are initiated off jumps and generally how you ride rails. It's just not the same as snowboarding where a lot of the tricks are significantly different based on rotation direction and which edge you use to take off. Granted I'm pretty biased when it comes to park snowboarding...

Snowboarding is also just a massive PITA to get competent at initially versus skiing is so much easier. Most people can be riding the chair lift/t-bars after a single time out on skies. That's not the typical experience people have when learning to snowboard. Also the risk of serious falls when learning is significantly higher on a snowboard. So many broken wrists/forearms. That sorta does swap around though once you're more advanced and skiers are far far more prone to blowing out knees. I can easily see though why snowboarding is decreasing in popularity as compared to skiing. Skiing is just so much easier to pick up and learn.

I was totally on the thought that snowboarders are the cool kids back when i learnt 20 years ago but now its all the same. My wife has been boarding longer than me and she switched to skis 3 years ago and isnt looking back, my kids all ski too and they picked it up so fast.

And Helmets will save your ass at any speed so get one and wear it. I just remembered my wife cracked hers at Cop about 4 years and with out it i know she wouldnt have been walking out of that hill. The runs at COP are perfect for beginners but that hill is not forgiving if you fall.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Lariat

For learning take the drive out to Nakiska. Less ice than COP.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    lol fuck that, pretty sure this guy is an adult, you don’t bounce back like you used to.

Oh the days of drinking pitchers of beer and riding on no sleep. I could never now.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    For learning take the drive out to Nakiska. Less ice than COP.
    Yeah! Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Yeah! Good one!
    Ice? No problems, full camber FIS 165s baby

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

I decided it is finally time to try snowboarding while my body still has time to recover from the inevitable falls. I’ve been reading r/snowboardingnoobs r/snowboarding, and the snowboardingforum.com. I am still working through the frustrations of wants vs. needs and thought I would reach out for input on anything i’m doing wrong/missing. People on here likely know the terrain I will be facing than those in the states/international.

gear - level mitts with wrist guards, padded pants, and good goggles have been bought, working on a helmet to match up with goggles. I am working in boots (ride lasso), I did the foot measure and got a good pair before the covid rush wipes out supplies. I have good snowboard pants from snowshoeing/fat biking, and will use an older winter jacket that layers well and buy something nicer end of season because I suspect this will get torn up. Socks and base layers are all quality merino wool.

I’m about 150-155lbs without snow gear but understand that doesn’t really say much when it comes to boards as each brand is different. I don’t have a board yet, I was going to rent for the first lesson but my god is this a tricky subject to research. One thing I really don’t want to do is buy a crap “starter” board that I will have to store or try to sell next year, buy a board that is way to advanced for me, or throw hundreds away on clapped out rentals. My buddy has offered to let me borrow from his collection, but his boards are pretty aggressive (2015 Solomon man board was his suggestion, he’s a bit optimistic)

for lessons, I was going to take a 90 minute intro at Canada Olympic Park to try things out, take a week or so off, then take a half day out at sunshine village to see what stuck.

That’s a lot of text, how am I looking, what am I missing? Any tips or thoughts?
    Absolutely, take the lesson at 90 minute COP. Even go after work for a few hours. The hardpack keeps you honest tho, so that protective gear will help.
    I get it, if your friends are headed to Louise/Sunshine, and you wanna join
    If Sunshine is on the docket, do Wawa & Strawberry Laps. Wawa, has a conveyor runway to the chair (fast fixed-grip), so let the lifty know, and he'll slow the chair.
    Louise, just take the main quad, Glacier, and do Wiwaxy laps down. There's decent signage, and a map right to your left as you exit the chair.
    Nakiska, is a solid recommendation. Better value, proximity for a newb. The flats there are forgiving, and you may have to unstrap your back-foot. Learning to push/skate, is important.
    Norquay too, you'd enjoy. Also great value. Especially mid-week.

Gear questions;
    How did you arrive, at your Ride Lasso boot purchase?
    Bindings are nay impossible to fuck-up for a newb, unless it's the integration -- Burton EST.
    Echo most others, in that you may be overthinking the board purchase, just find something around the 155cm for your weight.

I get hooked by Burton, give me a PM next summer, as I get rid of previous seasons gear.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Already stated but I'll second it.
    Don't do sunshine. Waste of money for a noob and it's all ice and hard packed which sucks for boarders.
    More time at cop then nakiska when you think you're ready.
    Skiing: Easy at first hard to master.
    Snowboarding: Hard at first, easy to master.
    In my opinion.
    Lol, just slashed this morning away in 30cm.

And to build on what reccos said, Skiing is much more prudent, and practical. But once you properly ride pow, on a snowboard,.. NOTHING, fucking compares. (except surfing)
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Absolutely, take the lesson at 90 minute COP. Even go after work for a few hours. The hardpack keeps you honest tho, so that protective gear will help.
    I get it, if your friends are headed to Louise/Sunshine, and you wanna join
    If Sunshine is on the docket, do Wawa & Strawberry Laps. Wawa, has a conveyor runway to the chair (fast fixed-grip), so let the lifty know, and he'll slow the chair.
    Louise, just take the main quad, Glacier, and do Wiwaxy laps down. There's decent signage, and a map right to your left as you exit the chair.
    Nakiska, is a solid recommendation. Better value, proximity for a newb. The flats there are forgiving, and you may have to unstrap your back-foot. Learning to push/skate, is important.
    Norquay too, you'd enjoy. Also great value. Especially mid-week.

Gear questions;
    How did you arrive, at your Ride Lasso boot purchase?
    Bindings are nay impossible to fuck-up for a newb, unless it's the integration -- Burton EST.
    Echo most others, in that you may be overthinking the board purchase, just find something around the 155cm for your weight.

I get hooked by Burton, give me a PM next summer, as I get rid of previous seasons gear.

Lol, just slashed this morning away in 30cm.

And to build on what reccos said, Skiing is much more prudent, and practical. But once you properly ride pow, on a snowboard,.. NOTHING, fucking compares. (except surfing)
    Cheers man! The lasso was the best feeling with minimal discomfort at the store. Vans were a close second, and the burtons I tried had a bit of a hot spot in the heel area. Appreciate the input on the hills, I’m sure I’ll make it to all of them eventually but that is some good detail to have as a foundation.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Lessons are a wrap, by day 3 half the people flaked from the program, last day the two other guys were suffering boot issues so the instructor basically allowed me to solo the North side of the hill of COP solo, which was pretty fun today given the fresh powder. Frustratingly I have missed out on the board I want twice as the sellers wouldn’t ship (20/21 burton process 152-155 camber with the awesome bear on it), but borrowing a board from a buddy has worked out well. I’m hoping the cold front we have coming in mellows a bit, as I got my sunshine and lake Louise cards and want to get back out there to lock in that muscle memory.

Name:  718yONBeu5S._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  100.1 KB

I started boarding a year too late lol

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast