Quantcast
Burgman (big scooter) refit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Burgman (big scooter) refit

My Ride
    4x4

Default Burgman (big scooter) refit

Well Kids away - need to keep myself entertained.

Name:  IMG_20220717_084205_868.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  118.7 KB

Grabbed this little beasty as a runabout. Not exactly little - it's an 05 burgman 650; 600lbs but a lot easier to ride in heavy traffic than a goldwing (that was original plan to buy, until I rode one in heavy traffic - that seller had a tmax - out of my budget, but put me onto the maxi-scoots).

Got it cheap, because - theft recovery - not insured for theft so not written off thankfully... It's got some issues as a result. And 3 coats of tremclad to disguise it

Name:  294653991_10160033944800185_1677068473504724745_n.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  88.1 KB

After peeling off the duct tape. Yeah This will be fun. Put a new battery in it to get it off the trailer and do some hood-rat rides around the parking lot before bringing it in for teardown.

So last week or so has been ripping it apart, Learned it's been dropped a few dozen times by the looks of the plastics, some crummy fiberglass repairs - none of them didn't peel when screwdriver was slid behind. The duct tape was hiding a lot more than expected.

Melted lots of abs pipe connector chunks in ABS cement; and have been patching/fixing. SEM Black trim on the plastics that are supposed to be black, prepping all those tupperware pieces.

Was intending to just eliminate the key altogether - take away the crackheads favorite screwdriver hole. But after realizing - the only way to get a new gascap/glovebox key - is going to involve ordering the full keyset. (Yeah no kidding - the gascap isn't a screw on; it's a weird burgman specific monstrosity nobody makes). Was in the process of CNC'ing the blockoff plate:
    Name:  burman keyhole v3.png
Views: 335
Size:  289.5 KB
    Name:  294174541_374309421451644_8872948085478939562_n.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  122.4 KB

Yes that's Nedry from Jurrasic park - initially I wanted to have the teensy play the "Ah Ah Ah! You didn't say the magic word" in gif/wav if someone sat on the bike without NFC unlock. But decided the gif/wav would just taunt the damn crackheads and I'd be having more broken parts to fix. But it stuck in my head so - Let's put it on the plate anyway

Anyway waiting on suzuki to let me know about that 400$us hunk of rekey kit pain's availability. So not making a 3rd attempt at the block-off plate. 2nd wasn't too bad, still not gretz quality though.

Bike paints don't show up in most shops lookups; the place across the street does automotive spraybombs cheap. But no bike colors. Went with Suzuki YBA "Pearl Deep Blue" - close enough for me; all the plastics getting painted anyway. Ended up deciding on a Matte clear.

Name:  295835412_10160045664880185_1202580173719624367_n.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  36.6 KB

Here's tonight's first "lets see if I like the look" assembly before I clear more parts to have to redo if I hate it. (Yes the front fenders fighting me and I forgot about the mirrors)

I'm digging the color.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Nice! You have your work cut out for you but I like the color and looks like fun.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cool. I know nothing about these.

My Ride
    06 S2000

This is pretty cool. I'd like to see what you do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    This is pretty cool. I'd like to see what you do with it.
    Hopefully some sick wheelies
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Hopefully some sick wheelies
    Haha no, I'm going to drive like an old man it took a decade for the costs associated to the tickets for my last bike to come off

But it may have done one last night parking lot cruising with no plastic seeing if I did the tuneup right. It's a bit snappy with 100lbs of plastic missing

Name:  IMG_20220724_211538_670-01.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  44.9 KB

Checking the look before tearing it all off again.

One of the Suzuki dealers found me an ignition assembly - 537$ ouch. No gascap yet. I may have to retrofit...
    Last edited by AndyL; 07-28-2022 at 02:03 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

Name:  297028944_10160055987610185_84871015777173129_n.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  186.3 KB

First little test-ride to ensure it's together and running right before putting in all those damn plastic rivets/clips/screws in.

Somewhat concerned after the oil change - pretty much filled the drain pan - (8L capacity); It's only supposed to have 3.3litres so... ? Not milky/frothy but does seem thin (compared to the rotella 5/40 I put in - dont ask it's one of the few with the right ratings for the clutches) but doesn't smell gassy. Not sure what to make of that.

Was way low on coolant too (and the wrong type). So may do a few more shorter 'neighborhood' test rides before I fully button it up.

It's weird to ride; automatic and low revving with not typical motorcycle controls is screwing with my brain. After an hour test riding, went to merge onto TCH for a next exit test at highway speed brain was in "motorcycle mode" grab the left 'clutch' stomp on a pedal, twist - that didn't go so good with rear brake being on the left Took me a second to figure out the bike wasn't broken.

My Ride
    4x4

Name:  IMG_20220808_201941_639-01.jpeg
Views: 156
Size:  64.4 KB
    Windshield arrived.

Name:  IMG_20220813_130841_235-01.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  96.3 KB
    Added a top case today - bit of a clusterduck however since givi says the b47 will do monokey or monolock; apparently not so much. Not sure if I need a different latch for the topcase or should throw the uglier monolock plate on... May just redrill the bracket, put on the monolock plate and be done with it. But I still dislike the plate, and not intending to have it mounted full time.

Longest test drive yet to pick it up 60k into surrey along Fraser highway, then back along the TCH.

Trying to bribe a friend to bail me out on the RFID ignition - can't figure it out, not sure if it's programming or something with the noise in the kill switch wiring - but 13mins and cuts out, set your watch by it, so bypassed for the interim.

Got some vinyl to hide the lack of windshield trim coming. Not spending 500$+ on that piece. Definitely gotta order the fuel door however.