Quantcast
Diagnose my furnace! Making loud sound - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Diagnose my furnace! Making loud sound

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's fixed. There were some issues. But it's fixed. Can do a proper write up tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Nice. You fucked that furnace’s dad.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So summary of this project, roughly in order.
    1) wow theres a lot of shit you have to take apart to even get at the blower motor. Or there is on my Carrier.
    2) you really should find someone to get you the pro discount. Because the homeowners price is ridiculous, $500 for my evergreen 1/2 hp 6005 model.
    3) check how your current motor is mounted. I needed a belly band kit, which my old motor did not. Extra $50 at AMRE on Saturday. Presumably cheaper for the pros.
    4) mechanical reassembly is not particularly difficult, just more steps than you think is reasonable.
    5) electrical. Oh my God, why are there so many damned wires? Total madness. Some are obvious. Some are super counter-intuitive if you are replacing a PSC with ECM like I was. Twist some together, cut some off, yay! Anyway, the instructions were actually really good, just follow those.
    6) furnace works yay!
    7) it's so quiet! Startups are quiet. Running is quiet, wow did I mention it's quiet?
    8) save (probably) a pile of electricity. Savings will be massive. #7point2hereicome!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    something green

Just saw this now, thats actually not a terrible price for that motor right now, most hvac parts have gone through the roof, if you can even get them. The ecm is a nice replacement, I prefer the marrs brand with the programmer, it lets you pick custom speeds.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I dont know if this warrants a new thread so I'll just stick this question here and see if anyone replies since it's not urgent.

One of the blowers broke with our in-wall Direct Vent Gas Fireplace. It makes very loud noises when turned on and the dog hates it. From what I'm googled it sounds it's something to do with the bearings and the whole unit just need to be replaced.

The OEM ones are like $300/each but amazon has these third party ones for <$100 https://www.amazon.ca/Hongso-Firepla...7622970&sr=8-6

If I order these online, you guys know anyone that's willing to come do the install? I really dont' want to spend $600+ to replace a couple blowers.

Check where the blower is. Oftentimes they're just plugged into an outlet.

Get one of these and tell us how quiet it is:

https://www.quietfireplacefans.com/p...-fireplace-fan

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Those fireplace blowers are usually very easy to replace yourself, assuming you're buying a direct replacement unit. Basically plug and play.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

You could try getting a bearing. Lots available out there.
    Mrs. Penguin brought me one of her nail ladies' nail drills to fix. Some odd German Dremel-like unit.
    Turns out it was a seized bearing. I measured the ID and OD and googled. 10 for $5.00
    Replaced it, Mrs. Penguin got a few free nail sessions, and everyone was happy.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    Just saw this now, thats actually not a terrible price for that motor right now, most hvac parts have gone through the roof, if you can even get them. The ecm is a nice replacement, I prefer the marrs brand with the programmer, it lets you pick custom speeds.
    The mars is not available anywhere that will sell to homeowners. Pros only. Suspect that evergreen would have been 20% less for a pro, but whatev, I got it done.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

We're three pages in and not one joke about how the screaming noise was actually from the "art" room.

I am disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Car threads are for jokes, house threads are srs bzns.
    @Darell_n so I measured my heat rise, it's a bit high. What normal remedy for this?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Car threads are for jokes, house threads are srs bzns.
    @Darell_n so I measured my heat rise, it's a bit high. What normal remedy for this?
    Is it still in acceptable range? Normally I would increase the heating mode fan speed. When you upgrade a blower motor, often the low/med/high speed wiring connections don’t equal the same amount of air flow as the old motor.

Also check the air filter cleanliness and make sure there’s enough air registers open / return airs not blocked.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 11-23-2021 at 11:39 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Those fireplace blowers are usually very easy to replace yourself, assuming you're buying a direct replacement unit. Basically plug and play.
    It looks very easy to replace, but I can't figure out/ dont have the tools to pull the fireplace out from the wall to get to the blower.

Name:  20211113_075056_resized.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  213.5 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Is it still in acceptable range? Normally I would increase the heating mode fan speed. When you upgrade a blower motor, often the low/med/high speed wiring connections don’t equal the same amount of air flow as the old motor.

Also check the air filter cleanliness and make sure there’s enough air registers open / return airs not blocked.
    Probably need the fan to be running faster in heat mode. Actually not sure how to do that, this evergreen motor is smarter than me. Will dig into it. And verify acceptable range.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    It looks very easy to replace, but I can't figure out/ dont have the tools to pull the fireplace out from the wall to get to the blower.

Name:  20211113_075056_resized.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  213.5 KB
    The glass should unclip at the top and fold down/ or be removable. Take out the rocks and fake sticks etc. and there will be an access panel held in by 20+ self tapping screws. Remove the screws and panel, pull out blower fan, replace with new one and reverse the process to reassemble.

It's not a complicated process, the glass is always easy to remove or fold in order to clean. Based on the pic, the glass looks foggy/dirty therefore this step probably hasn't been done since installed, but it is easy to do.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I need to clean the glass on my fireplaces as well. Maybe I'll figure out how to do this soon.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

My elica hood fan motor has decided to slowly kill itself. Started off making that quiet bearing noise, got louder, and now sometimes wont start on the slowest of the 3 speed settings. Decided to just buy a new motor unit I found out of texas for 100 usd. Will swap it out and see if I can use or repair the faulty motor for something else or a spare.

https://encompass.com/item/11447568/Elica/RIC00225/
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

And this may be finally time to do that fancy motor group-buy. D-man we should chat.
    I’d be interested in a group buy

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    The glass should unclip at the top and fold down/ or be removable. Take out the rocks and fake sticks etc. and there will be an access panel held in by 20+ self tapping screws. Remove the screws and panel, pull out blower fan, replace with new one and reverse the process to reassemble.

It's not a complicated process, the glass is always easy to remove or fold in order to clean. Based on the pic, the glass looks foggy/dirty therefore this step probably hasn't been done since installed, but it is easy to do.
    wow thank you!! I'll give that a try. Appreciate it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Probably need the fan to be running faster in heat mode. Actually not sure how to do that, this evergreen motor is smarter than me. Will dig into it. And verify acceptable range.
    This motor has five speeds.
    Low
    Med-low
    Med
    Med-high
    High.

Default setting is high for cool and med-low for heat. Was getting too much heat rise, around 85F. Max reccomend for this furnace is 70F.

Adjusted to med-high fan speed on heat, and have a 65F heat rise now. I am going to call this done.

Buuit, I did have some serious confusion after first attempt. No fire. Like the gas valve wasn't opening. Turns out I bumped this little switch, that was an easy fix once I realized.
    Name:  PXL_20211204_015908426.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  118.2 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast