Quantcast
Custom Home Build - Water Softener/Filtration - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom Home Build - Water Softener/Filtration

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Default Custom Home Build - Water Softener/Filtration

We are in the middle of planning a custom home build. I know that we will be installing a water softener, that's for sure.

The things I am debating on are a whole home activated carbon filter and/or possibly a reverse osmosis system for both the fridge and a tap at the sink. I know from the research I have done there is a benefit for the softener to have the carbon filter taking out chlorine, but it is not critical. I also know that a proper carbon filter will last 7-10 years before the carbon media needs to be replaced. It seems beneficial to me because it removes the needs for further carbon based filtration either through a fridge filter or a brita. It's probably the same cost over the time frame to run separate carbon filters, but a lot more convenient. It seems like a decent value to me but curious to know if anyone else uses this in their home and their thoughts.

The reverse osmosis (RO) system seems of less potential value to me, and more maintenance. I don't think City water is that bad tbh, aside from removing chlorine in the system I am not fussed over RO water. The reason I am considering it is because in a new build I could place the RO filters in the basement and run lines to a faucet near the sink and a line to the fridge from the RO system. It would give clear ice in the fridge and the option at the sink. The issues I take with it is the water wasted for the process, and the need to replace 3 pre-filters annually. There is probably an annual cost of $100-200 between filters and waste water, and then the eventually RO filter replacement as well. I don't think there are huge advantages to RO water, or any negative issues either. Again, the big reason to do it in the build process is so I can place it in a utility room and make it easier to manage with less risk in the future of putting it under your sink. Curious to thoughts on those that have RO systems or have had them in the past.

Any web searches yield millions of websites advertising their products, there seems to be a lot of snake oil in the works too. I have even seen the Kinetico systems, while interesting, charge quite a premium for doing the same effective thing as others, without the ability to buy universal filters from anyone in the future and tying you to their products from their distributers. People seem to really like their products all the same.

Any other thoughts on this end of things would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Cagare; 11-22-2021 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    Trucks

Just be aware that RO water is slightly corrosive to most metals and not necessarily healthy to consume.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Rough it in, and rough in a hot water circulation loop, and while you are at it, make the utility room bigger so you can easily replace HWT or other items.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Rough it in, and rough in a hot water circulation loop, and while you are at it, make the utility room bigger so you can easily replace HWT or other items.
    Definitely plan on a hot water circulation loop. Could easily just run the 3/4" lines for a second tap under the counter and plan for the fridge also. The fridge is immediately above the utility room, the kitchen sink will not be though.

Utility room is definitely oversized. Currently it's a 32" door leading into the utility room. Probably worth considering a 36" door for the utility room access.

My Ride
    *The First*

I say fuck all the extra shit. Potable water is potable and our standards are ludicrously high.
    36" door is smart, plus making that door a solid door is absolutely a mandatory life saver!

Note that generally, the cold half of the kitchen sink is not softened water and neither is your fridge. I T'd mine such that the fridge is softened while the kitchen sink cold still is not.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I didn't think you should drink softened water? Is that the case?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    There are those that feel that way, but it's a bit like fear of fluoride.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I don't know much about it because it was here when we moved in, but we have the full-meal-deal Kinetico system and it sucks.

The idiocy of the filter change process is enough to make me want to rip it out and certainly wouldn't go to the hassle & expense of installing in a new build.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    I don't know much about it because it was here when we moved in, but we have the full-meal-deal Kinetico system and it sucks.

The idiocy of the filter change process is enough to make me want to rip it out and certainly wouldn't go to the hassle & expense of installing in a new build.
    I haven’t heard a lot of bad things about Kinetico before, aside from price.

Do you like the softener performance or is it the other jewelry they added on for the package that is irritating?

I think I would want a softener of some kind in a new build
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I haven’t heard a lot of bad things about Kinetico before, aside from price.

Do you like the softener performance or is it the other jewelry they added on for the package that is irritating?

I think I would want a softener of some kind in a new build
    I guess I was being overly dramatic. The softener is appreciated and works fine.

We also have the drinking water system, which is cartridge based and for us, requires frequent changes... When the cartridges are toast, water won't flow through the system (I get why, but I'd survive with tap water in the icemarker in the short term). Besides that, the process to change the cartridges is idiotic and the ~$150 per change is an extra flick to the berries.
    Last edited by you&me; 11-23-2021 at 12:43 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

hot water circulation loop
    Those are supposed to be damaging if you use tankless?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Those are supposed to be damaging if you use tankless?
    I know nothing about tankless aside from the fact that I don't want to have it in my house
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Soft water is essentially bottled water. Pure RO and distilled water, not so good long term.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Soft water is essentially bottled water. Pure RO and distilled water, not so good long term.
    I don't follow the bottled water analogy. Water in Edmonton, Calgary and many other parts of Alberta is "hard" which generally means it has dissolved Calcium and Magnesium naturally in it. A softener is an ion exchanger which replaces those dissolved ions (which are really dissolved salts) with another dissolved salt where the ion is Sodium.
    Dissolved Mg and Ca cause what everyone calls "lime scale buildup" while Na (essentially) does not. This buildup makes the inside of your dishwasher look like shit, it cakes into its heating element and cakes up your hot water tank, it makes that creepy powder in your melted ice cubes, it fucks up your tea kettle, it clogs your faucet aerators, and it eventually builds up in your piping enough that it restricts flow (in decades). It also makes soap lather poorly.
    Can you drink this extra salt from softened water? Salt bad!
    Well, it's not extra salt. You were already drinking Mg & Ca salts and now you're drinking Na salt. Plus, it's not like you're suddenly drinking ocean water. It's on a microscopic level and you can't taste it.

As for prolonged drinking RO water... I think the theory is that humans are designed to drink water that has trace dissolved elements in it and at a lower pH (due to rain and Carbonic Acid) than pure, pure water. I think there are people who believe this pure water confuses your body and causes it to not absorb and utilize dissolved elements properly. I don't really know much about that...

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

all i know is i can't use the softener water (every tap in the house almost) to water plants, and RO water is good for the kettle and better tasting for coffee/tea

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by tha_bandit View Post
    all i know is i can't use the softener water (every tap in the house almost) to water plants, and RO water is good for the kettle and better tasting for coffee/tea
    Why cant we use softened water to water plants?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Why cant we use softened water to water plants?
    I've heard this a lot, too and I should've mentioned earlier that plumbing often has non-softened water leading to exterior hose bibs.
    Plants (and grass) don't like chlorine and they don't like salt. Again, magnesium and calcium are dissolved salt ions, so it's not like drinking water is poison to plants. But, I think they like Sodium even less?
    It's similar to seeing how much better your garden will thrive with rain water instead of human drinking water. It's noticeable.

Look up the term "salting the earth" for some of the fun ways that humans have figured out how to capitalize on this science.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’ve seen that.

But I have also seen softened water run to irrigation systems because calcification and shown minimal detrimental effects to plant growth.

I wouldn’t overthink it personally.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

yea just the salt content, goes into the pot over time as well, doesn't drain well obviously like outdoors

My Ride
    Trucks

Softeners add a tiny amount of sodium to the water, not sodium chloride. You are not salting anything by using softened water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast