Quantcast
Who was to blame for the last F1 race? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who was to blame for the last F1 race

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • The FIA's decision on how to restart the race

    29 44.62%
  • Mercedes conservative racing strategy

    2 3.08%
  • Latifi crashing (i.e the ghost of Frank Williams haunting the race)

    1 1.54%
  • Some combination of the above

    18 27.69%
  • Max won it fair and square.

    11 16.92%
  • Other

    4 6.15%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 126

Thread: Who was to blame for the last F1 race?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    tundy
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe he was tired of getting emails from Toto
    I mean angry Horner is definitely more polite than angry Toto

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV
    Posts
    895
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Masi made a call to end the season with a thrilling last lap. I doubt he cared who that decision favored, he knew that 98% of viewers were only there to see Max vs Lewis so he gave us Max vs Lewis. Viewers and sponsors are the reason F1 exists so of course he's going to go for the exciting option.

    Nothing to do with the result, everything to do with trying to bring all these first time viewers back next year.
    After watching some of the opinions and arguments online and Youtube. Im starting to think this too.
    If the race had ended with a safety car and no fight. It would look bad for business. The controversy will bring back viewers for season 2021.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    calgary/AB
    My Ride
    On the look :)
    Posts
    826
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s what I think as well. No conspiracy, no favoritism, 100% for the show. While it may have been thrilling to new watchers, the old school fans that really understand the sport knew that it was an impossible fight. Easily 4s a lap difference between new softs and worn hards with the 2 starting side by side, a situation that would not have been possible for strategists to even plan for if rules were applied.

    But, mission accomplished for F1.
    If Masi didn't know that the call what he was making (only allowing the cars in between Lewis and Max to un lap ) is not going to favor Max then IMO he is not fit to being a Race director. That is racing 101

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    calgary/AB
    My Ride
    On the look :)
    Posts
    826
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After watching some of the opinions and arguments online and Youtube. Im starting to think this too.
    If the race had ended with a safety car and no fight. It would look bad for business. The controversy will bring back viewers for season 2021.
    Belgium this year , he started the race and finished the race behind SC. If Masi wants to preach safety then he should have never started the race on that day. He is joke.
    I understand the commercial and financial reasons for starting the race however at some point in time you need to start to put some weight on whether this is right for the sport or not.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    3,803
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Wait, you guys actually think this isn't just a show?

    Jesus, I wish I lived in that little fantasy land of lollipops and unicorn farts.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,862
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    F1 is an entertainment business first, and a sports competition third.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Bicycle
    Posts
    8,849
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    F1 is an entertainment business first, and a sports competition third.
    Coming to terms we were watching WWE all along.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The White Ghetto
    My Ride
    Altima Se-R
    Posts
    2,285
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    F1 is an entertainment business first, and a sports competition third.
    I get it. All sports change their game in order to make it more entertaining and appealing. NBA introduced the 3-point line, NHL took away 2-line passing, MLB changes their extra inning rules, NFL similarly with their overtime rules. But they do so during the off-season so that all teams will have the opportunity to understand and work with the rules.

    If you're a sort of conspiracy theorist that believes that the leagues, in some way, influence the game to let the big markets win, they are at least more covert about it - through increased penalties/fouls/etc. - with things that, more quietly, change a game.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    3,803
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    The difference is the decision that Masi made in this race was the optimal decision. Every other decision he could have made would have been more unbalanced, not less.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,862
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coming to terms we were watching WWE all along.
    I watched WWE for the first time in three decades about a month ago, and I have to say, it's still entertaining as hell. A quality entertainment product that I think I could get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Triangle
    My Ride
    Lexus
    Posts
    10,323
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched WWE for the first time in three decades about a month ago, and I have to say, it's still entertaining as hell. A quality entertainment product that I think I could get into.
    I tried to but can't get back into it anymore. I miss the the Degen Attitude era lol Those were amazing times.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís what I think as well. No conspiracy, no favoritism, 100% for the show. While it may have been thrilling to new watchers, the old school fans that really understand the sport knew that it was an impossible fight. Easily 4s a lap difference between new softs and worn hards with the 2 starting side by side, a situation that would not have been possible for strategists to even plan for if rules were applied.

    But, mission accomplished for F1.
    Ahhh makes sense. mano e mano finish.
    Conversations like this can be intense.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,847
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The difference is the decision that Masi made in this race was the optimal decision. Every other decision he could have made would have been more unbalanced, not less.
    Optimal decision? I mean you claim to be serious, but you can't be serious.

    Masi did not follow proper procedure, and as such took away all of Lewis's advantage, and removed all of Max's disadvantages. The difference in pace after all said and done is the difference between Merc and a Haas. This was basically 100% win for max.

    There were many other decisions that could've been made to be more balanced. No unlapping cars? That's an option in the rules on the race director's discretion. Would've been a strong battle for sure as others got out of the way. Would've probably still swayed in Max's favour, my guess is 70/30 for Max. Red flag? Yea, it's still engineered, but put both cars on equal footing (hell Max is even faster on the softs) with a 4 lap winner take all sprint. That would've been a full on 50/50 real battle that we would've all appreciated.

    Either way, both of those options were more balanced. Unless you hate Lewis.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,847
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    I'm also back in the WWE bandwagon. Youngest is into it. Subbed to the WWE network. Rewatching old ass wrestlemania and Saturday Night Main Events (for me). Hogan/Savage/Miss Elizabeth bad acting. Good times. Entertained.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    3,803
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Optimal decision? I mean you claim to be serious, but you can't be serious.

    Masi did not follow proper procedure, and as such took away all of Lewis's advantage, and removed all of Max's disadvantages. The difference in pace after all said and done is the difference between Merc and a Haas. This was basically 100% win for max.

    There were many other decisions that could've been made to be more balanced. No unlapping cars? That's an option in the rules on the race director's discretion. Would've been a strong battle for sure as others got out of the way. Would've probably still swayed in Max's favour, my guess is 70/30 for Max. Red flag? Yea, it's still engineered, but put both cars on equal footing (hell Max is even faster on the softs) with a 4 lap winner take all sprint. That would've been a full on 50/50 real battle that we would've all appreciated.

    Either way, both of those options were more balanced. Unless you hate Lewis.
    All decisions were going to create unbalance. So following the spirit of the race is the best way.

    1. Leave back markers: Why? There is a reason to get rid of back markers in a safety car. They just didn't have time to get all of them through. -> Bad idea
    2. Red Flag: why? They had cleared the crash. This would have been an ever more egregious advantage for Lewis than what actually happened. -> Bad idea
    3. Finish under yellow: If you think that would be a good idea, then we have bigger differences than I thought...lol -> Bad idea

    No, the only solution was to try to replicate what a safety car in the mid-race would look like. And that was to clear 5 backmarkers and let the boys race. It was the closest compromise to a "normal" decision we were going to see.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    111R, DC2R, E61, W124, E36, FiST
    Posts
    2,156
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    So i re-watched the onboards/alternate feeds. Looks like Latifi's car was craned away with 4 laps to go. By the time they crossed the line with 3 to go Latifi's car was very close to behind the barriers. By the time they reached turn 9 with 3 to go the whole field had caught up to the pack. Even on the radio, Bono mentioned that lapped cars were going to overtake before correcting himself that they werent. So my question is.... with 3 to go why didnt they let the lapped cars by. They could have caught up with 2 to go and then they could release everyone with 1 to go for a 1 lap shootout.


    IMG_0620.jpg

    3 laps left. Field is bunched by the time they hit turn 9


    IMG_0621.png

    Hamilton at Turn 14 with 3 laps left. Latifi's car gone

    IMG_0622.png

    Gasly at turn 14 with 3 laps left. No cars or marshals

    IMG_0623_.jpg

    Approaching 2 laps left. They could have easily just left all lapped cars past here with a full lap of them to catch up. Release the safety car at turn 12 or whatever approaching 1 lap left and you have your final lap to settle it all.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    3,803
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So i re-watched the onboards/alternate feeds. Looks like Latifi's car was craned away with 4 laps to go. By the time they crossed the line with 3 to go Latifi's car was very close to behind the barriers. By the time they reached turn 9 with 3 to go the whole field had caught up to the pack. Even on the radio, Bono mentioned that lapped cars were going to overtake before correcting himself that they werent. So my question is.... with 3 to go why didnt they let the lapped cars by. They could have caught up with 2 to go and then they could release everyone with 1 to go for a 1 lap shootout.




    3 laps left. Field is bunched by the time they hit turn 9




    Hamilton at Turn 14 with 3 laps left. Latifi's car gone



    Gasly at turn 14 with 3 laps left. No cars or marshals



    Approaching 2 laps left. They could have easily just left all lapped cars past here with a full lap of them to catch up. Release the safety car at turn 12 or whatever approaching 1 lap left and you have your final lap to settle it all.
    What they ended up doing was the next best thing. They got all of the relevant back markers out of the way. From a practical perspective, it accomplished an identical outcome.

    Unless someone really hates RBR, of course.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,705
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    I see no good reason why they didn't immediately get all the cars into their correct positions to maximize the potential number of final laps under racing. Doing that earlier could've allowed Hamilton a pit as well as Verstappen but they still would've been bumper to bumper when racing commenced and the outcome very likely the same (but more fair).

    *But I don't know F about F1.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,847
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    I guess it’s a wrestlemania date with @Buster and I in march.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    3,803
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess it’s a wrestlemania date with @Buster and I in march.
    Dude! I would so go to that. I've literally never watched wrestling on TV or anything, tho.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,847
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude! I would so go to that. I've literally never watched wrestling on TV or anything, tho.
    So it’d be just like you with F1.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Latest Threads: 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
  2. Xbox to TV lag - Is my HDMI cable to blame?

    By OCDP in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
  3. ThePirateBay Looses Bandwidth Provider HollyWood To Blame

    By RickDaTuner in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
  4. O&G is doomed, sky is falling, blame stelmach, etc

    By googe in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 69
    Latest Threads: 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM
  5. The Pee Blame

    By Chester in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 11-03-2004, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •