Who was to blame for the last F1 race? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who was to blame for the last F1 race

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • The FIA's decision on how to restart the race

29 44.62%
  • Mercedes conservative racing strategy

2 3.08%
  • Latifi crashing (i.e the ghost of Frank Williams haunting the race)

1 1.54%
  • Some combination of the above

18 27.69%
  • Max won it fair and square.

11 16.92%
  • Other

4 6.15%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who was to blame for the last F1 race?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Who was to blame for the last F1 race?

With all the heated discussion. I am surprised there is not a poll on this..

Who was to blame for Sundays last race? Or was there anyone to blame?
    Lets keep the discussion on the other forum. I just want a poll.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With all the heated discussion. I am surprised there is not a poll on this..

Who was to blame for Sundays last race? Or was there anyone to blame?
    Lets keep the discussion on the other forum. I just want a poll.
    Blame for what?

The outcome of the race, and especially the championship, was as it should have been. The right driver won.

My Ride
    *The First*

The race director was Opie from Family Guy. Put that option on the poll and I'll stroke it.
    From the first lap clown-ass skipping the next corner and gaining a full 1+ seconds without penalty to the concept of not re-tiering during a caution with fuck-all laps to go. It's hilarious!
    *I only just fluked into seeing the final few laps about an hour ago.

How is this an officiated sport? This is on par with the NFL officials who couldn't even perform a coin-toss correctly! It's the definition of grotesque negligence.
    Why would any racing in the Milky Way Galaxy not immediately re-tier the entire grid upon a caution? Serious question, as I'm not a big racing fan. I'm partially confident NASCAR does this. There's nothing that stops racing from being more boring than ringette more effectively than bunching all the cars back together and letting them rip again.
    It seems to me that dummy dum-dums pulled a George W. and sat there with a glassy stare instead of ordering the field to re-tier and by the time he finally thought to do it, he was so late that only a few of the cars could, but thankfully, it was the only cars that mattered so they could bang off a lap and finish properly*.
    *With astronomical luck given to the Dutch Rudder with fresh boots.

That's a quick take from about as cold a cold-eyes review could be as I don't think I've watched 30 min of F1 in my entire life.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

My hot take is that motorsports are loved by Europeans and Europeans love shitty officiating and drama in football, thus Formula 1 is trying to be like Football.

Name:  failure-sports.gif
Views: 358
Size:  866.6 KB

My Ride
    Silverado

Definitely shaks fault

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Joe Biden

Fossil fuels

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There's nobody to blame except for Masi. Did not follow the rules to engineer an exciting ending, but with odds favouring one side. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I doubt Masi's intention was anything but to build more excitement, but what happened was wrong. Sure there's luck factor and if the crash happened 3 laps earlier, the same outcome probably would have happened if rules were followed and nobody would be complaining. Excluding RBR and Merc (who are obviously going to be biased on outcome), pundits on both sides of the fence feel that it was a terrible way to end the race. There was no way for Mercedes to have anticipated this at all. Decisions and strategy analytics could not have the foresight to predict that the rules of the game changed, so it was impossible for the team to anticipate this at all.

I really hope Mercedes continue with the appeal, with the caveat that the results do not change. Max is the champion, and changing that would be an even worse outcome. Max and RBR literally did nothing wrong, but there needs to be a look at how many of the decisions this season were made poorly, and corrected for the future.

The poll has Mercedes strategy as an option, like I said, this was an impossible situation as analytics is based on the rules set. None of the analytics would've predicted letting just 5 cars unlap AND restarting immediately after that. The probability of a short red flag for an accident like we saw is basically 0 unless rules were changed. Arguably, during the race, I thought Mercedes would've pitted during VSC the lap after Max did (both would have lost the same amount of time), but there was definitely a risk where the VSC would have ended while Mercedes was in the pit which would have lost them track position.

edit - I was wrong. Looks like even RBR feels the rules and implementation needs to be fixed.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/re...versy/6884000/
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    There's nobody to blame except for Masi. Did not follow the rules to engineer an exciting ending, but with odds favouring one side. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I doubt Masi's intention was anything but to build more excitement, but what happened was wrong. Sure there's luck factor and if the crash happened 3 laps earlier, the same outcome probably would have happened if rules were followed and nobody would be complaining. Excluding RBR and Merc (who are obviously going to be biased on outcome), pundits on both sides of the fence feel that it was a terrible way to end the race. There was no way for Mercedes to have anticipated this at all. Decisions and strategy analytics could not have the foresight to predict that the rules of the game changed, so it was impossible for the team to anticipate this at all.

I really hope Mercedes continue with the appeal, with the caveat that the results do not change. Max is the champion, and changing that would be an even worse outcome. Max and RBR literally did nothing wrong, but there needs to be a look at how many of the decisions this season were made poorly, and corrected for the future.

The poll has Mercedes strategy as an option, like I said, this was an impossible situation as analytics is based on the rules set. None of the analytics would've predicted letting just 5 cars unlap AND restarting immediately after that. The probability of a short red flag for an accident like we saw is basically 0 unless rules were changed. Arguably, during the race, I thought Mercedes would've pitted during VSC the lap after Max did (both would have lost the same amount of time), but there was definitely a risk where the VSC would have ended while Mercedes was in the pit which would have lost them track position.

edit - I was wrong. Looks like even RBR feels the rules and implementation needs to be fixed.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/re...versy/6884000/
    I wonder whether Masi was forced into this by Liberty

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Saw this referenced this morning:

"There is a requirement in the sporting regulations to let ALL lapped cars through" - Michael Masi after the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix.

So yes, in this [2020] instance the decision to unlap and compress the field benefitted Hamilton. But you can't make the opposite the decision, which goes against the stated requirement, just to benefit Verstappen just so you can be on balance.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    But you can't make the opposite the decision, which goes against the stated requirement, just to benefit Verstappen just so you can be on balance.
    I don't think it was meant to benefit Verstappen but rather benefit the point of the sport which is racing (i.e. finish racing rather than under a SC).

My Ride
    ute

Saw this referenced this morning:

"There is a requirement in the sporting regulations to let ALL lapped cars through" - Michael Masi after the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix.

So yes, in this [2020] instance the decision to unlap and compress the field benefitted Hamilton. But you can't make the opposite the decision, which goes against the stated requirement, just to benefit Verstappen just so you can be on balance.
    Who is to say he wasnt wrong in 2020?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Who is to say he wasnt wrong in 2020?
    The FIA Regulations. Until it's changed, that's the rule.

My Ride
    ute

The FIA Regulations. Until it's changed, that's the rule.
    The FIA regulations give a shit ton of discretion to the race director. So no.

My Ride
    V167

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    I don't think it was meant to benefit Verstappen but rather benefit the point of the sport which is racing (i.e. finish racing rather than under a SC).
    Except his job isn't to ensure that the race is completed competitively, his job is to ensure the race is completed safely and by the rules. Unless there is a rule that says 'races need to be completed on a racing lap', I think he stepped outside of his purview as Race Director.

I get the desire to not finish under a safety car, but he did so at the expense of credibility of the sport of racing and his own.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Definitely shaks fault
    If I could, I'd be fucking suing the shit out of Masi.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Masi made a call to end the season with a thrilling last lap. I doubt he cared who that decision favored, he knew that 98% of viewers were only there to see Max vs Lewis so he gave us Max vs Lewis. Viewers and sponsors are the reason F1 exists so of course he's going to go for the exciting option.

Nothing to do with the result, everything to do with trying to bring all these first time viewers back next year.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    Masi made a call to end the season with a thrilling last lap. I doubt he cared who that decision favored, he knew that 98% of viewers were only there to see Max vs Lewis so he gave us Max vs Lewis. Viewers and sponsors are the reason F1 exists so of course he's going to go for the exciting option.

Nothing to do with the result, everything to do with trying to bring all these first time viewers back next year.
    That’s what I think as well. No conspiracy, no favoritism, 100% for the show. While it may have been thrilling to new watchers, the old school fans that really understand the sport knew that it was an impossible fight. Easily 4s a lap difference between new softs and worn hards with the 2 starting side by side, a situation that would not have been possible for strategists to even plan for if rules were applied.

But, mission accomplished for F1.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Maybe he was tired of getting emails from Toto

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast