Who was to blame for the last F1 race? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who was to blame for the last F1 race

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • The FIA's decision on how to restart the race

29 44.62%
  • Mercedes conservative racing strategy

2 3.08%
  • Latifi crashing (i.e the ghost of Frank Williams haunting the race)

1 1.54%
  • Some combination of the above

18 27.69%
  • Max won it fair and square.

11 16.92%
  • Other

4 6.15%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who was to blame for the last F1 race?

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe he was tired of getting emails from Toto
    I mean angry Horner is definitely more polite than angry Toto

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    Masi made a call to end the season with a thrilling last lap. I doubt he cared who that decision favored, he knew that 98% of viewers were only there to see Max vs Lewis so he gave us Max vs Lewis. Viewers and sponsors are the reason F1 exists so of course he's going to go for the exciting option.

Nothing to do with the result, everything to do with trying to bring all these first time viewers back next year.
    After watching some of the opinions and arguments online and Youtube. Im starting to think this too.
    If the race had ended with a safety car and no fight. It would look bad for business. The controversy will bring back viewers for season 2021.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    That’s what I think as well. No conspiracy, no favoritism, 100% for the show. While it may have been thrilling to new watchers, the old school fans that really understand the sport knew that it was an impossible fight. Easily 4s a lap difference between new softs and worn hards with the 2 starting side by side, a situation that would not have been possible for strategists to even plan for if rules were applied.

But, mission accomplished for F1.
    If Masi didn't know that the call what he was making (only allowing the cars in between Lewis and Max to un lap ) is not going to favor Max then IMO he is not fit to being a Race director. That is racing 101

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    After watching some of the opinions and arguments online and Youtube. Im starting to think this too.
    If the race had ended with a safety car and no fight. It would look bad for business. The controversy will bring back viewers for season 2021.
    Belgium this year , he started the race and finished the race behind SC. If Masi wants to preach safety then he should have never started the race on that day. He is joke.
    I understand the commercial and financial reasons for starting the race however at some point in time you need to start to put some weight on whether this is right for the sport or not.

My Ride
    ute

Wait, you guys actually think this isn't just a show?

Jesus, I wish I lived in that little fantasy land of lollipops and unicorn farts.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

F1 is an entertainment business first, and a sports competition third.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Coming to terms we were watching WWE all along.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I get it. All sports change their game in order to make it more entertaining and appealing. NBA introduced the 3-point line, NHL took away 2-line passing, MLB changes their extra inning rules, NFL similarly with their overtime rules. But they do so during the off-season so that all teams will have the opportunity to understand and work with the rules.

If you're a sort of conspiracy theorist that believes that the leagues, in some way, influence the game to let the big markets win, they are at least more covert about it - through increased penalties/fouls/etc. - with things that, more quietly, change a game.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    ute

The difference is the decision that Masi made in this race was the optimal decision. Every other decision he could have made would have been more unbalanced, not less.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Coming to terms we were watching WWE all along.
    I watched WWE for the first time in three decades about a month ago, and I have to say, it's still entertaining as hell. A quality entertainment product that I think I could get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

I watched WWE for the first time in three decades about a month ago, and I have to say, it's still entertaining as hell. A quality entertainment product that I think I could get into.
    I tried to but can't get back into it anymore. I miss the the Degen Attitude era lol Those were amazing times.

That’s what I think as well. No conspiracy, no favoritism, 100% for the show. While it may have been thrilling to new watchers, the old school fans that really understand the sport knew that it was an impossible fight. Easily 4s a lap difference between new softs and worn hards with the 2 starting side by side, a situation that would not have been possible for strategists to even plan for if rules were applied.

But, mission accomplished for F1.
    Ahhh makes sense. mano e mano finish.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The difference is the decision that Masi made in this race was the optimal decision. Every other decision he could have made would have been more unbalanced, not less.
    Optimal decision? I mean you claim to be serious, but you can't be serious.

Masi did not follow proper procedure, and as such took away all of Lewis's advantage, and removed all of Max's disadvantages. The difference in pace after all said and done is the difference between Merc and a Haas. This was basically 100% win for max.

There were many other decisions that could've been made to be more balanced. No unlapping cars? That's an option in the rules on the race director's discretion. Would've been a strong battle for sure as others got out of the way. Would've probably still swayed in Max's favour, my guess is 70/30 for Max. Red flag? Yea, it's still engineered, but put both cars on equal footing (hell Max is even faster on the softs) with a 4 lap winner take all sprint. That would've been a full on 50/50 real battle that we would've all appreciated.

Either way, both of those options were more balanced. Unless you hate Lewis.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm also back in the WWE bandwagon. Youngest is into it. Subbed to the WWE network. Rewatching old ass wrestlemania and Saturday Night Main Events (for me). Hogan/Savage/Miss Elizabeth bad acting. Good times. Entertained.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Optimal decision? I mean you claim to be serious, but you can't be serious.

Masi did not follow proper procedure, and as such took away all of Lewis's advantage, and removed all of Max's disadvantages. The difference in pace after all said and done is the difference between Merc and a Haas. This was basically 100% win for max.

There were many other decisions that could've been made to be more balanced. No unlapping cars? That's an option in the rules on the race director's discretion. Would've been a strong battle for sure as others got out of the way. Would've probably still swayed in Max's favour, my guess is 70/30 for Max. Red flag? Yea, it's still engineered, but put both cars on equal footing (hell Max is even faster on the softs) with a 4 lap winner take all sprint. That would've been a full on 50/50 real battle that we would've all appreciated.

Either way, both of those options were more balanced. Unless you hate Lewis.
    All decisions were going to create unbalance. So following the spirit of the race is the best way.

1. Leave back markers: Why? There is a reason to get rid of back markers in a safety car. They just didn't have time to get all of them through. -> Bad idea
    2. Red Flag: why? They had cleared the crash. This would have been an ever more egregious advantage for Lewis than what actually happened. -> Bad idea
    3. Finish under yellow: If you think that would be a good idea, then we have bigger differences than I thought...lol -> Bad idea

No, the only solution was to try to replicate what a safety car in the mid-race would look like. And that was to clear 5 backmarkers and let the boys race. It was the closest compromise to a "normal" decision we were going to see.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

So i re-watched the onboards/alternate feeds. Looks like Latifi's car was craned away with 4 laps to go. By the time they crossed the line with 3 to go Latifi's car was very close to behind the barriers. By the time they reached turn 9 with 3 to go the whole field had caught up to the pack. Even on the radio, Bono mentioned that lapped cars were going to overtake before correcting himself that they werent. So my question is.... with 3 to go why didnt they let the lapped cars by. They could have caught up with 2 to go and then they could release everyone with 1 to go for a 1 lap shootout.

Name:  IMG_0620.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  217.4 KB

3 laps left. Field is bunched by the time they hit turn 9

Name:  IMG_0621.png
Views: 297
Size:  1.14 MB

Hamilton at Turn 14 with 3 laps left. Latifi's car gone

Name:  IMG_0622.png
Views: 288
Size:  937.5 KB

Gasly at turn 14 with 3 laps left. No cars or marshals

Name:  IMG_0623_.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  211.0 KB

Approaching 2 laps left. They could have easily just left all lapped cars past here with a full lap of them to catch up. Release the safety car at turn 12 or whatever approaching 1 lap left and you have your final lap to settle it all.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    So i re-watched the onboards/alternate feeds. Looks like Latifi's car was craned away with 4 laps to go. By the time they crossed the line with 3 to go Latifi's car was very close to behind the barriers. By the time they reached turn 9 with 3 to go the whole field had caught up to the pack. Even on the radio, Bono mentioned that lapped cars were going to overtake before correcting himself that they werent. So my question is.... with 3 to go why didnt they let the lapped cars by. They could have caught up with 2 to go and then they could release everyone with 1 to go for a 1 lap shootout.

3 laps left. Field is bunched by the time they hit turn 9

Hamilton at Turn 14 with 3 laps left. Latifi's car gone

Gasly at turn 14 with 3 laps left. No cars or marshals

Approaching 2 laps left. They could have easily just left all lapped cars past here with a full lap of them to catch up. Release the safety car at turn 12 or whatever approaching 1 lap left and you have your final lap to settle it all.
    What they ended up doing was the next best thing. They got all of the relevant back markers out of the way. From a practical perspective, it accomplished an identical outcome.

Unless someone really hates RBR, of course.

My Ride
    *The First*

I see no good reason why they didn't immediately get all the cars into their correct positions to maximize the potential number of final laps under racing. Doing that earlier could've allowed Hamilton a pit as well as Verstappen but they still would've been bumper to bumper when racing commenced and the outcome very likely the same (but more fair).

*But I don't know F about F1.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I guess it’s a wrestlemania date with @Buster and I in march.

My Ride
    ute

I guess it’s a wrestlemania date with @Buster and I in march.
    Dude! I would so go to that. I've literally never watched wrestling on TV or anything, tho.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Dude! I would so go to that. I've literally never watched wrestling on TV or anything, tho.
    So it’d be just like you with F1.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast