Quantcast
PC Recommendation Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: PC Recommendation Thread

My Ride
    V167

Default PC Recommendation Thread

So over the past 10ish years I have fallen totally out of touch of PC technology. Simply do not have the time to keep up to date on so many things. I've primarily used a Dell laptop as my primary computer over the past 20 years, with each one lasting ~7 years before a catastrophic failure of some sort occurs. For the days I work from home, I currently have my laptop connected to a large monitor with a keyboard etc. It's a pain to connect/reconnect it.

I am hunting for a basic pre-built PC that can do basic office work, internet browsing, Youtube. Budget = few hundred bucks would be great. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So over the past 10ish years I have fallen totally out of touch of PC technology. Simply do not have the time to keep up to date on so many things. I've primarily used a Dell laptop as my primary computer over the past 20 years, with each one lasting ~7 years before a catastrophic failure of some sort occurs. For the days I work from home, I currently have my laptop connected to a large monitor with a keyboard etc. It's a pain to connect/reconnect it.

I am hunting for a basic pre-built PC that can do basic office work, internet browsing, Youtube. Budget = few hundred bucks would be great. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Do you care if it's new or used? Something like this would be great for your purpose to be honest.
    https://www.dbcscomputer.ca/product/...reconditioned/

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Do you care if it's new or used? Something like this would be great for your purpose to be honest.
    https://www.dbcscomputer.ca/product/...reconditioned/
    I have been eyeing similar products as its basically what we have in our office. Thanks for posting that.

Found this as well. Its small.
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00117100

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I have been eyeing similar products as its basically what we have in our office. Thanks for posting that.
    Np. They have newer ones for a couple hundred more if you want something a little newer.
    For new, this isn't terrible pricing-I'd wait for Boxing Day sales to come out:
    https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desk...3891_sb_s1208e

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Np. They have newer ones for a couple hundred more if you want something a little newer.
    For new, this isn't terrible pricing-I'd wait for Boxing Day sales to come out:
    https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desk...3891_sb_s1208e
    Its on sale now? 629? Can I expect it to go cheaper?

If you are conscious of budget, could you not just improve the connection to your current laptop? Perhaps work has a docking station they can give you.

I use my dell laptop connected via a single thunderbolt cable connected to a dock that has my dual monitors, webcam, mouse, keyboard, ethernet and speakers all connected. Its so easy to be on the go with one connection.

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    If you are conscious of budget, could you not just improve the connection to your current laptop? Perhaps work has a docking station they can give you.

I use my dell laptop connected via a single thunderbolt cable connected to a dock that has my dual monitors, webcam, mouse, keyboard, ethernet and speakers all connected. Its so easy to be on the go with one connection.
    I'm conscious of budget but the real need is to have my laptop back, and available for my personal use, and discontinue using it for work purposes entirely. I do not want to associate work with my laptop anymore.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If a laptop is still of consideration:

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/d/chrom...ayoutType=grid

+

https://9to5google.com/2021/09/23/ch...king-stations/
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

MacBook Air. Outside of budget but almost certainly the right tool for the job.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.